Predict the day it all goes down

elias2600

Tuesday night...

If other GM's catch wind that the NHL will not allow Lou any lee way regarding Malachoke and Mogilny or just Malachoke...there gonna smell blood in the water and wait to get the absolutley most lopsided trade they can.

I would also like to add to this question...

A. If the NHL says Lou has to eat both the M&M boys contracts...who will be leaving?

B. If he has to eat Chokers contract...who will be leaving?

My prediction is late Monday. My bet is on Lagenbrunner to be gone because he probably has the most value and we can't afford to lose White or Rafalski, whom I'm sure all the other GMs have their eyes on getting right now. With what Lagenbrunner is worth to a team and his cap hit, teams would actually give something of value back for him. That clears about 3 million in cap space off. Matvichuk, Lukowich, Brylin and Wiemer are also possible candidates to go.

What a horrible mess this is.

My prediction is late Monday. My bet is on Lagenbrunner to be gone because he probably has the most value and we can't afford to lose White or Rafalski, whom I'm sure all the other GMs have their eyes on getting right now. With what Lagenbrunner is worth to a team and his cap hit, teams would actually give something of value back for him. That clears about 3 million in cap space off. Matvichuk, Lukowich, Brylin and Wiemer are also possible candidates to go.

Lou cannot let go of a player he just signed for 5 years. Rafalski is FAR more likely.

Everyone knows that we're desperate so I'd be surprised if we got anything of value back for Langenbrunner, regardless of how much he means to a team and his cap it. Unless it came down to one team offering total garbage and another team offering moderate garbage, Lou would likely pick the moderate garbage.

Lou cannot let go of a player he just signed for 5 years. Rafalski is FAR more likely.

If Rafalski goes, it will leave a far bigger hole on the team then Lagenbrunner. I don't want to think of how much harder the team will have bringing the puck out of their own zone without Rafalski logging 28 minutes a game. Martin has some promise, but no way is he ready to pick up the minutes and role he would get if Rafalski is gone. I can see White being more expendable then Rafalski at this point, but I our top two defensemen are really needed for another year.

I would agree with you that Lou would never let go of a player he just signed, but these are not normal circumstances. I don't see him having much of a choice. I think at the time Lou signed Lagenbrunner he assumed things could work out with him on. But now the Devils are stuck in a corner. I really like Lagenbrunner. I see him as the McKay of the team and it would leave a big gap on the right wing. But I'd rather us shallow on the right wing then lose a top line defender.

Edited by E-Devil

I predict we'll be talking about how Lou's going to get under the cap at the same time next year :rolleyes:

But seriously I think it'll be the minute after the NHL makes a ruling on Mogilny and Malakhov. I don't know how long they'll take to render a decision but apparently Lou was up at NHL headquarters today so hopefully we'll know sometime over the weekend.

And I don't think Langenbrunner will be involved in being traded, not only is he signed for five years and it'd be bad form to trade someone after signing them to that long a deal but Langenbrunner's one of Lou's pets. He's going nowhere.

Gomez and Rafalski are the only choices to me...they're both UFA, both make over $4 million. Gomez is not likely to return and Raffy's 33 so you could make a case for getting rid of either. You could also make a case to not get rid of either. Obviously losing Gomez would cripple the offense (especially considering the team's current lack of depth down the middle) and losing Raf would be a huge blow to the D.

I think Raf would be the one to get traded between the two of them if it came down to it, since the team has if nothing else seemed to stockpile young, cheap options on D. I don't think it'll come down to it though, I think Mogilny will be off the cap and Lou'll be able to squeeze out enough room without getting rid of a major player.

Trading Gomez now would be a HUGE mistake. He has more trade value (under normal circumstances) than any of the other players we're talking about. The smart move (even though it would hurt) would be to move Langs or Madden now to get under the cap. Then if Lou re-evaluates the situation and still doesn't think Gomez will resign (and I don't really think he will) trade him closer to the deadline when we'll be dealing from a position of strength. That would maximize our total return.

Right now whoever we trade is only going to bring back a couple of late-round draft picks, unless the League for some reason mandates a fairer trade.

imagine lou got out of it by showing malakhov provided an invalid birthday on his paperwork and his actual birth certificate proves that he is actually 34

on a more realistic note, if lou was not relatively sure that he could get rid of at least mogilny's salary, then he would not have waited this long... there is no way... unless this is the same lou that signed the m&m contracts, there must be some loophole, maybe even with malakhov there (possibly that he did not want other teams to exploit this season also?)

or maybe that is just wishful thinking...