Say bye bye to Vlad

Sarge18

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=179623&hubname=nhl

SN.ca Staff

10/1/2006 7:23:45 PM

The New Jersey Devils acquired left wing Alexander Korolyuk and defenceman Jim Fahey from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for defenseman Vladimir Malakhov, and a conditional first-round pick in the NHL Entry Draft.

Korolyuk, 30, recorded 19 goals and 15 assists for 34 points and 86 penalty minutes in 45 games with Vityaz Chekhov in the Russian Super League last season. He last played in the NHL during the 2003-04 season, posting an NHL career-high 19 goals and 18 assists for 37 points in 63 games with San Jose.

The 5-foot-9, 190-pound has 62 goals and 80 assists for 142 points and 140 penalty minutes in 296 career games, all with the Sharks.

Fahey, 27, will be entering his fifth professional season. He posted two assists in 21 games with San Jose last season. Fahey has career totals of one goal and 23 assists for 24 points and 65 penalty minutes in 79 games, making his NHL debut in 2002-03.

The 6-foot, 205-pound defenceman has also seen action with Cleveland (AHL) during parts of three seasons from 2002-03 through 2004-05. Fahey was San Jose's ninth choice, and the 212th overall selection in the 1998 draft.

Malakhov, 38, posted nine points and 26 penalty minutes in 29 games with the Devils last season. Malakhov's NHL career includes 86 goals and 260 assists for 346 points and 697 penalty minutes in 712 games with the NY Islanders, Montreal, New Jersey, the NY Rangers, and Philadelphia.

Edited by DevilMinder

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: What? How? Who the... How did Lou pull this one? Not only did he dump Malakhov's salary, Fahey is a solid 7th defensemen who will help Albany. There must be more to this then a straight up raping.

Maybe Fahey's been a problem child for San Jose and this deal is simply two teams dumping their garbage on each other?

You know what the best part is? THERE'S NOT A DAMN THING THE NHL CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!1 Malakhov refuses to file retirement papers so technically he's an active player, so SHOVE IT GARY BETTMAN!!!!!!!!

correct me if i'm wrong, but i beleive this is a 3.1 mil salary dump.

Korolyuk is in europe and not listed at nhlpa.com and fahey makes 500k.

perhaps the #1 pick is conditional if Korolyuk returns to the nhl?

lou must have some friends in nocal. this deal is insane.

i find it ironic that so many people are in here showing their devotion to lou. Lest you forget this trade is a complete mess of Lou's own doing, and the reality is we were completly fleeced, giving up potentially a first round pick.

Would you rather lose a first round pick or any combination of Rafalski, Gomez, Madden, or Brylin?

I'm ecstatic for the deal, don't get me wrong, I'm just providing a little reality check. There's no doubt though that given the fact that we were dealing from a clear inescapable position of weakness we did pretty well. Perhaps the condition is some sort of protection? Can you do NBA style lottery protection on draft picks in the NHL?

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

You know what the best part is? THERE'S NOT A DAMN THING THE NHL CAN DO ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!1 Malakhov refuses to file retirement papers so technically he's an active player, so SHOVE IT GARY BETTMAN!!!!!!!!

I wonder if he didn't file the retirement papers because of the fact that the Devils wouldn't be able to trade his cap number if he was officially retired? Or maybe he's just a lazy nutcase, hell he did 'say' he was retired, why else wouldn't he file his retirement papers.

A conditional first-round pick probably means it's protected for a certain amount of years if the pick is below 15th or 20th, meaning Lou wouldn't be giving up a high first-rounder.

halfshark while it's true Lou made the mess, he cleaned it up (for the most part) and he did it without getting rid of a player on the active roster.

i find it ironic that so many people are in here showing their devotion to lou. Lest you forget this trade is a complete mess of Lou's own doing, and the reality is we were completly fleeced, giving up potentially a first round pick.

If the Devils can coax Korolyuk out of Russia, they are far from being fleeced in this deal.