Say bye bye to Vlad

Sarge18

I am not going to repost the bg post...how come you don't include San Jose GM in the same category as Lou??? They traded a player that is in Russia with no intentions of playing in the NHL. Both teams traded no shows. San Jose knows their cap room and they had no problem absorbing the money that in on paper ONLY at this point. Clarke's offer sheet to a player on another team when you know he is staying with his current team isn't exploitation??? You may feel that Lou made a mockery of the cap and the NHL however is it is not a mockery to potentially hide $10 cap money in the minors and admit that it may be used if cap becomes an issue??? What about last year and Clarkes salary dump? Ah the mention of Leech or Richter...how about offering Sackic $8M knowing the Avs would match it and screw around with salaries in general in the NHL? I don't care if it was before the current CBA...Clarke and Sather have done more to damage the NHL than all other GM's combined :rant: Lou knows and admits he made errors and now he is finding ways within the CBA first to help fix the errors and if not to be adult enough to absorb all the blame and the cap hits...oh let's recall Sather as coach of the RanJuhs...what a wonderful move that was :P

Edited by StarDew

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add my words of admiration for the greatest GM in sports. Well Done Lou, well done!

One thing i dont understand is how we can acquire Korulyuk from SJ when he isnt even their property!

Oh, and the people complaining about the ethics of these deals are the type of people who whine about anything and everything that isnt about them.

Edited by devlman

Ah the mention of Leech or Richter...how about offering Sackic $8M knowing the Avs would match it and screw around with salaries in general in the NHL?

It was no definite that the Avs would match, the Rangers offered $15 million up front (a signing bonus) and there were legitimate questions whether the Avs would be able to come up with that kind of cash at the drop of a hat. Plus they would have gotten five first-round picks if they had let him go. Yes the contract was disgusting and represented what was wrong with the past CBA but they were trying to get Sakic, it wasn't a token move.

As for Leetch and Richter, I thought that was stupid too. It was obviously a loophole the Rangers - and I think a couple other teams might have exploited it as well - found, and I wasn't going to blame them for that I just thought it was a questionable rule itself.

Edited by Hasan4978

It was no definite that the Avs would match, the Rangers offered $15 million up front (a signing bonus) and there were legitimate questions whether the Avs would be able to come up with that kind of cash at the drop of a hat. Plus they would have gotten five first-round picks if they had let him go. Yes the contract was disgusting and represented what was wrong with the past CBA but they were trying to get Sakic, it wasn't a token move.

As for Leetch and Richter, I thought that was stupid too. It was obviously a loophole the Rangers - and I think a couple other teams might have exploited it as well - found, and I wasn't going to blame them for that I just thought it was a questionable rule itself.

The rule was put in place so broke-ass teams like the Oilers could get some compensation when Uncle Pennybags Checketts and Toronto and Philadelphia signed away all their good players. The big-market teams conspired with them to exploit the rule. Ingenious - absolutely, I don't blame them for taking advantage. The rule should have had a clause in place that the player must've been on the club's active roster at the end of the season. With the salary cap, we don't need that rule anymore.

Is he getting paid by the Sharks to play in Russia or does he have his own contract there.

He has his own contract. However, what that contract says is that he is the property of that Russian team until whoever holds his NHL rights chooses to abide by the arbitrartion decision and offer him an NHL contract under the arbitratrated terms. Then he can go back to the NHL - not that he will, just that he can. The arbitration decision essentially goes with his NHL rights. So what San Jose traded to NJ was the right to say we will give you a contract under that arbitrated decision, do you want to come over and play for us. Apparently, the arbitrator decided he owes whoever holds his rights one more year of service and, if that team is willing to honor that decision, he can't play for anyone else in the NHL until he has honored that decision. But he doesn't have to come back even if NJ decides to go ahead and say we will abide by the terms.

the sharks can trade korolyuk like the canes can trade Jack Johnson. Neither player is under contract, but both teams have the rights to said players.

As to other Gm's complaining, If they come out and say what you said, that's hardly a leg to stand on. Lou broke no rules. He did not exploit any loophole, there's no rule that says you can't trade suspended players. Lou was punished for a bad signing by being forced to give up a first rounder for a 6th-7th Dman. That sounds to me like the CBA is working to ensure that teams stay under the cap. Just because he didn't get screwed over to the extent other Gms wanted (I.e. being forced to trade players to them for peanuts) does not give them reasons to bitch.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I see how it works, but if he chose to come back to the nhl and play for the Devils, then shouldnt he have to finish his Russian contract first or ask to be released? I know the answer lies within the disrespectful way the nhl treats the rest of the leagues around the world (which is hampering the sport's growth worldwide, too).

I see how it works, but if he chose to come back to the nhl and play for the Devils, then shouldnt he have to finish his Russian contract first or ask to be released? I know the answer lies within the disrespectful way the nhl treats the rest of the leagues around the world (which is hampering the sport's growth worldwide, too).

His Russian contract says that he can ask to be released (and they have to grant it) if and when an NHL team agrees to abide by the arbitration decision. However, it doesn't mean he will decide to ask for that release. He could tell the NHL team, thanks but no thanks.