Best players who never won the cup

devilsadvoc8

Just a random topic for discussion..

Who do you think are the best retired players that never won the cup?

Ones that come to mind are:

Adam Oates

Mike Gartner

Pavel Bure

Cam Neely

Harry Howell

Marcel Dionne

Norm Ullman

I can think of some others but they aren't in the category of the above players like Phil Housley, Hextall but I don't put them in the above class. Any historians out there with info on great older players that never won?

Dino Ciccarelli and Keith Primeau are the first ones I can think of other than the ones already mentioned

Great topic...we needed this in the off-season ;)

To me, Beezer back-stopping the Panthers to the finals in their second year (?) is as good as winning the Cup. He'll never get the credit for it, but just like Marty in 1995 he was what made that defensive system work.

Oates is the best player I've seen to not win the Cup. People downplay the importance of having a ring -- if Oates won the Cup with the Blues or the Capitals, he'd be in the same breath as Sakic and Yzerman. Instead, he's a notch below.

Gartner is in a totally different category -- players who never even made the Cup Finals. That's just flat out depressing.

<JESTER>

Sorry Jester, but I don't think Oates would ever be considered with Sakic or Yzerman - his career numbers are considerably worse and he has a rep for disappearing at crunch time. Same with Mike Gartner.

Dionne's a solid selection - how about Gilbert Perreault? Peter Bondra?

^7^, Brian Bellows won the Cup in 92-93 with the Habs.

A case can certainly be made for Eric Lindros - it's somewhat difficult to believe a player as dominant as he was for 5 or 6 years couldn't close the deal. I guess that's a little controversial, though. Mats Sundin too - neither of their careers are over, but it's getting close.

Edited by Triumph

Wow, some good thoughts here. I can't believe middleton never won it.

Lots of Rangers mentioned (what a shocker).

Yeah, after the fellating of Bourque during that cup run, I can't stand him & I have trouble respecting his career for that whole deal. Granted he probably didn't choose the attention, it still colors my view of him.

I also find it interesting that no one is gushing over Cam Neely. that guy (when healthy) was better than Lindros or has my anti-flyer bias colored that comparison too?

Lots of great players named. The only name that comes to mind if Pierre Turgeon. He has had a pretty good career.

That's sort of my point with Oates, who I think was the best passing center since Gretzky. Had he won a ring as a top-line center -- and wasn't carried there by his teammates -- I think he's moved up with Sakic, Yzerman and Modano. Instead, he's in that tier with players like Pierre Turgeon and Dale Hawerchuk -- great players with great numbers who never won.

<JESTER>

When i saw Ray Bourque at the bar before a BU game I so badly wanted to go up to him and give him crap about winning the cup against the Devils. The only reason I didn't is I didn't know how to phrase it so it would be funny. I had to suffer through all that crap here in Boston if you think ESPN was bad the media up here was worse.