Lowell at Albany

NJDevs4978

I'm surprised not one post on the return of the Devils' farm team to Albany for the grudge match against the Rats, where (either surprisingly or not so surprisingly depending on your point of view) the new Rats proceeded to anilihate the Lowell Devils 5-0. It wasn't even that close, the shots were 47-19 in Albany's favor. They wanted blood and most of the fans there rooted for the uniform instead of the team, I guess it was a good game for those Rats fans who suffered with Albany the last few years. The mascot came out on the ice in a Devils jersey with a pitchfork then ripped off the jersey and smashed the pitchfork in half Bo Jackson-style. Cute :lol:

Man I thought Lowell was better this year. McGillis spent more time in the penalty box than on the ice, some captain :P The game was pretty much decided after a five-minute major penalty on Lowell late in the first period led to THREE power play goals early in the second. The other RatDevils (Marshall, Fahey, etc) did nothing, then again neither did anyone else. Poor Jordan Parise didn't have much of a chance tonight, he was pretty much the only one that came to play :rolleyes: Too bad Bergfors missed the game, he was out when I came up to see the Rats last year too.

Awww...PK...shame you missed it, but then the outcome for the Devils was bad.

Had Doyle played, I'd have found it harder to root for the new Rats.....but as it was, the new Rats actually played really well.....and the Devils, well they just seemed very unorganised, and didn't seem terrible bothered about persuing the puck in the offensive zone.

All in all I am glad the Rats won....can't have the old Rats beating up the new Rats in their own building now......

And I got a free sandwich for the first time this season, woohooo!

I was surprised at how many people booed Lowell. I was the only one in my section rooting for them it seemed. Allegiance has to stay with the Devils!

Overall, not a good showing for the Devils. However, I liked what I saw out of Rod Pelley. Good on the PK, physical, and a pretty decent skater. Andy Greene played well too. And I always like what I see out of Clarkson. You just knew he and Boychuk were gonna throw down at some point. Vrana seemed to have his feet moving too.

Btw, 5 goals now!!! for a Panera sandwich. Ridiculous. Don't like the new Rowdy much.

Edited by Voros19

I still haven't got used to the new Rowdy.

Me neither. I understand the old costume was on its last legs, but they could've at least tried to keep the look the same. The new Rowdy looks like a bunch of people sat around a table and said, "Hey, let's turn Robbie Ftorek into a rodent!" (No, really, I finally put my finger on it, the new Rowdy looks like Robbie!)

(Incidentally, Rude-e came about as a result of a botched costume replacement. The intent was to replace the old Rowdy, but what they got was so bad they had to change their plans, hence the creation of an anti-mascot as the product of a Jimmy Neutron experiment gone wrong.)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I'll admit I was one of the people rooting for the laundry rather than the players. I suppose it would've been nice to see Lowell get a goal if only for the crowd reaction, but I think most of the people in attendance were satisfied with the spanking. It was the final F-U to an organization that treated Albany rather poorly in the final few years of the affiliation. Of course, the flip side of this game is that the mini-Devils looked just as bad as they always have. I was reminded of far too many Rats games in previous years where had it not been for the man between the pipes, the final score would have been much, much worse.

The stunt Rowdy pulled mirror the feelings of a lot of River Rat fans. The fact is that the Devils did a pathetic job in supplying the Rats with a competitive team, and so the Albany River Rat fans got fed up with the losing and helped kick the Devils out of Albany. Why on earth would a River Rats fan (as opposed to a Devils fan rooting for the Devils minor league affiliate) turn around and cheer for the players and organization that almost ruined the River Rat franchise?

If Frank Doyle was in net instead of Parise, I would have felt a little bad about the spanking we gave Lowell.