Beckham Joins LA Galaxy

keano

David Beckham is to leave Real Madrid at the end of the season and sign a five-year deal with Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy. The former England captain is to quit Madrid when his contract runs out in June after agreeing a deal worth $248million.

He will kick-off the new MLS season in August.

Beckham said in a statement: "This week, Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract by a further two seasons.

"After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year.

Full Story

Apparently hes going to earn $955,000 a week! which is almost double of what the leading weekly salary is (Alex Rodriguez of the New York Yankees $485,000)

Edited by keano

Beckham coming over to MLS will single-handedly sink the downward-turning league. It's a travesty that the MLS allowed this to happen.

Beckham may be worth $250 million in marketing, but he certainly is not worth this on the field. Unfortunately, what MLS has failed to understand is that the game is played on the field rather than in magazines, etc.

On the same day Beckham was signed, they have a player like Dempsey sign with Fulham in the EPL. Dempsey was by far the best player on the US National team at the past world cup, and they let him skate over to England for a hefty raise ($4 million per year).

Granted, a guy like Beckham is good for every league, but he's not the sole answer. He's 32, and his best years are behind him.

Besides, he's no way, shape, or form worth $250 million. That's way more than Ronaldinho is making...

What a disaster! Money will be made (for sure), but soccer will suck even more with this signing...

PS...You will not see Ronaldinho here for at least 8 years...

Beckham coming over to MLS will single-handedly sink the downward-turning league. It's a travesty that the MLS allowed this to happen.

Beckham may be worth $250 million in marketing, but he certainly is not worth this on the field. Unfortunately, what MLS has failed to understand is that the game is played on the field rather than in magazines, etc.

On the same day Beckham was signed, they have a player like Dempsey sign with Fulham in the EPL. Dempsey was by far the best player on the US National team at the past world cup, and they let him skate over to England for a hefty raise ($4 million per year).

Granted, a guy like Beckham is good for every league, but he's not the sole answer. He's 32, and his best years are behind him.

Besides, he's no way, shape, or form worth $250 million. That's way more than Ronaldinho is making...

What a disaster! Money will be made (for sure), but soccer will suck even more with this signing...

PS...You will not see Ronaldinho here for at least 8 years...

I'm Glad Dempsey went to the EPL... the US needs to get more players playing on the highest level.. Dempsey has the opportunity to beome an elite player now, he would have NEVER done this in the MLS.. look at Donovan.. the MLs has ruined him!!!

I feel the MLS, currently, views it self as a developmental league for hopefully elite players before they move onto higher leagues and a place for high profile stars to come to as they age. I think MLS feels having the US players go and compete in higher leagues only helps the national team which then, long term, helps MLS by raising US awareness of soccer in general.

I feel the MLS, currently, views it self as a developmental league for hopefully elite players before they move onto higher leagues and a place for high profile stars to come to as they age. I think MLS feels having the US players go and compete in higher leagues only helps the national team which then, long term, helps MLS by raising US awareness of soccer in general.

I donot disagree, but player lik eDonovan need to be playin gin Europe.. not LA... I hope Adu and some of the other stars follow suit and play in the EPL it will only help american futbol....

I think you'll see the next gen players go play in the higher leagues. I hope the MLS learned they hold US players down when it encourages them to stay. I think they have learned that lesson but we'll see.

Im not sure what the answer is -- soccer is not an easy answer in the US. I think they made a huge mistake by shutting down the women's league, it was harnessing a lot of interest and they could have shared expenses with MLS as a partner. Every league in the world loses its best talents to Europe and now somewhat Mexico so we should encourage this in our players. I think Donovan was a personal decision and Im not sure he was cut out for Europe, but I agree that his talents have been wasted.

after talking to some people few things came to light..

1 Becks salary is %50 Mil over 5 years, the oter 200 Mill will be in endorsements...

2 I think getting becks here opens thegates for other famous though over the hill players to come to america...

3 if nothing else soccer gets some front page stories becuase of Becks...

4 the best US players STILLL need to goto Europe to become world clas players..

5 sounds like Reyna will be coming hom eto finish his career.. great move becuase his isthe best known US player and he has enoughskills to show off what americans can do on US soil...

6 Ronaldo and Figo might not be far behind

7 I'll still watch epl over mls

8 I'll defeintely buy tix whne bekcs is in town...

• 6 months later...

Beckham is going to be a big disappointment for the casual fan that is just going to a game because of the hype around him. He is no Michael Jorden or Sidney Crosby, or to speak in soccer terms, no Pele or Maradona. As Moustic stated correctly his only big talent is shooting free kicks. If he were ugly and not married to a spice girl, nobody would give a crap about him.