Verizon / Cablevision MSG HD FCC fight continues...

PeteyNice

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - so back to the hockey issue - are any of our games on the center ice HD channel or NHL Network HD?

Games on Center Ice HD and NHL Network are all subject to the league's blackout policy. So the short answer is: if you live in the NY Metro area it doesn't matter.

Thanks for info, Petey! That saves me a bunch of time searching and researching. One important piece of the puzzle is that my mom is connecting using my uncle's "Lifetime Subscription", whatever that is. Bascially, she's not paying the monthly fee, so all she needs is a new box and the cable cards, if she wants to stick with TIVO.

That being said, I was hoping to find them a solution for under $150...that way, you can justify the purchase by saving on the $15 a month Verizon charges for their DVR...pay up once, and you're good for a while. Doesn't look like that's going to happen, so I'll have to see what they think about spending upwards of $300 for the new TIVO box.

Anyway, thanks again for the info!

Edited by Bulletproof

Thanks for info, Petey! That saves me a bunch of time searching and researching. One important piece of the puzzle is that my mom is connecting using my uncle's "Lifetime Subscription", whatever that is. Bascially, she's not paying the monthly fee, so all she needs is a new box and the cable cards, if she wants to stick with TIVO.

That being said, I was hoping to find them a solution for under $150...that way, you can justify the purchase by saving on the $15 a month Verizon charges for their DVR...pay up once, and you're good for a while. Doesn't look like that's going to happen, so I'll have to see what they think about spending upwards of $300 for the new TIVO box.

Anyway, thanks again for the info!

I don't think it works that way. The lifetime subscription with Tivo is for the box itself. You can transfer it with the box to someone else but you can't use it on a new one. They may have changed the rules but that is what I remember.

I'm considering switching from Cablevision to Fios now that they offer MLB Extra Innings, however, the only thing holding me back is that Fios does not offer the Devils in HD. Is Fios's SD so close to Cablevision's HD that it wouldn't matter, or should I stick with Cablevision?

I've been fairly happy with Cablevision's IO Triple Play package and can't see myself switching to Verizon FIOS just yet, especially seeing how they don't offer Devils games in HD. But I'm tempted to do what Jimmy did and see if Cablevision might lower my price.

I've been fairly happy with Cablevision's IO Triple Play package and can't see myself switching to Verizon FIOS just yet, especially seeing how they don't offer Devils games in HD. But I'm tempted to do what Jimmy did and see if Cablevision might lower my price.

Worth a shot..

So you guys would sacrifice much much better Internet and HDTV/SDTV with more channels for Devils games in better quality?

Worth a shot..

So you guys would sacrifice much much better Internet and HDTV/SDTV with more channels for Devils games in better quality?

good point - as much as I want to see our games in HD, I'm using the internet and watching other TV year 'round and going to my fair share of games at the Rock. In addition, with the MSG+/2 crap, some of our games end up being on SD anyway.

I got Fios without researching if MSG+ would be in HD. I assumed it would have it. I was pissed with Time Warners slow cable box, poor service, slow internet, limited on demand etc.

I've had FIOS for about a month...it is greatly superior to cable. much faster internet...speed tests i did have my download/upload speed about 6 times faster than cable....the set box fo fios is fast too.

I get more for the price in terms of channels, their SD quality is much better, as is HD. The text on the screen looks much more like a "vector" and is cleaner.

I get more for the price in terms of channels, their SD quality is much better, as is HD. The text on the screen looks much more like a "vector" and is cleaner.

Exactly.. I mean don't get me wrong i LOVE watching hockey in HD, but you are sacrificing hours of great TV entertainment with better SD/HD and more channels just to have the Devils games in HD.. Believe me, the SD is excellent anyway and it won't alter the outcome of the game if you watch it in SD.. Go FiOS

good point - as much as I want to see our games in HD, I'm using the internet and watching other TV year 'round and going to my fair share of games at the Rock. In addition, with the MSG+/2 crap, some of our games end up being on SD anyway.

So the alternate MSG channels aren't in HD on Cablevision? That seems like a real negative. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the Fios quality for HD NJD, but not if half or a quarter of the games aren't available anyway.

I thought Cablevision broadcast all of the MSG slots in HD - am I wrong?

So the alternate MSG channels aren't in HD on Cablevision? That seems like a real negative. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the Fios quality for HD NJD, but not if half or a quarter of the games aren't available anyway.

I thought Cablevision broadcast all of the MSG slots in HD - am I wrong?

Yeah you're a tad bit confused.. Alternate HD MSG channels aren't available on FiOS, not Cablevision.. FiOS is higher quality in every way so by going with Cablevision you are sacrificing better quality year round for Devils games in HD even though FiOS's SD is freaking good.. Also, you can still catch a few Devils each month in HD anyway when they are on Versus, MSG, or other channels.. Price aside, you are crazy to go with Cablevision and not FiOS.. Now depending on your budget it and/or other factors might be worth it and in those cases I agree with getting Cablevision but I go to school near Trenton where Comcast didn't show the alternate MSG channels so my brothers and I (house of 7 guys) now spend $500 a month for TV and Internet from Verizon.. It's awesome

Edited by Colin226

Just to sum up what Colin wrote, here's what you get Devils wise from the two companies:

Cablevision :

MSG - HD - for free

MSG+ - HD - for free

MSG+2 (overflow) - Probably the worst SD feed in the history of TV. Looks like old hockey footage from the 80's

Versus - HD - for free

Basically, with Cablevision, they provide all the Devils games in HD, IF they don't have anything else more important going on. If there is a Rangers, Islanders and Devils game on, the Davils always gets the overflow (which stinks). Even basketball gets precedence over Devils hockey, but never Rangers or Islanders. That's Dolan for ya...

FIOS

MSG - HD (I believe with the Sports Package but Colin would know better)

MSG + - SD but a very good SD

MSG+2 - SD

Versus - HD, Standard.

So, if you go with Cablevision, you are able see every Devils game, 90% of which are in HD. not exactly the "every game of every local sports team in HD" nonsence they advertise, but close enough.

**Edited to reflect Colin's clarification**

Edited by Bulletproof

No. That is wrong.

No Cablevision owned sports channels are available in HD on FiOS. NONE.

MSG, MSG+ and the 2 overflow channels are available on FiOS in SD only.

You will only see the Devils in HD when they are on NBC or Versus.

I don't want to change the tenor in this thread but want to make this point too. If you live in a Cablevision area you will not get MSNBC on FiOS.