'Clemmer' may not get another start

Rock

'Clemmer' may not get another start

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Thursday, February 1, 2007

By TOM GULITTI

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE -- For one afternoon, Scott Clemmensen was the Devils' No. 1 goaltender.

Unfortunately for Clemmensen, it was only a practice and he was the only goaltender on the ice at South Mountain Arena. Martin Brodeur, who has started 21 consecutive games, was given the day off.

Brodeur will be back in net tonight when the Devils visit the Philadelphia Flyers and Clemmensen will be back in his usual spot at the end of the bench.

Clemmensen hasn't started or appeared in a game since taking the loss in a 5-3 defeat on Dec. 14 in Boston and he has no idea when or if he will play again this season.

"You think about December and January as being the dog days of the year," he said Wednesday. "After that, you start making your playoff push and it's going to be harder for me to get in there now."

Tonight's game would appear to be a great spot for Devils coach Claude Julien to get Clemmensen a start. The Flyers are in last place in the NHL with only 30 points and have lost 11 in a row at home, but they snapped a nine-game losing streak with a 2-1 win in Atlanta on Sunday and took Tampa Bay to a shootout on Tuesday.

Tonight's game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The matchup: Devils at Philadelphia Flyers

Time: 7 o'clock

TV: FSNY

Radio: WFAN-AM 660

Scouting report: The Devils (30-15-6) are coming off a 5-4 shootout loss in Atlanta on Tuesday night. They are 4-0 against the Flyers this season and have beaten them seven consecutive times dating to last season. Philadelphia (12-32-6) remains in last place in the NHL with 30 points and has lost a franchise-worst 11 consecutive home games.

"Philadelphia's playing very well lately," Julien said. "You saw the game they played against us [a 4-3 Devils' shootout win Jan. 20] and every game that they've played they've had chances to win. They're a lot more confident and more determined."

After tonight's game, however, there doesn't appear to be a logical spot to get Clemmensen a start until a home-and-home series with Washington on Feb. 24 and 25.

Clemmensen (0-1-1 with a 3.60 goals-against average) has started only two games all season. He also made a relief appearance in an 8-1 loss in Ottawa on Oct. 21.

It's not that he's complaining about or surprised by his situation. He knows it comes with the job when you back up one of the best and most durable goaltenders of all time.

Brodeur leads the NHL with 49 starts in the Devils' 51 games. Going back to last season, he has started 92 of the team's last 95 games.

That's why Clemmensen wouldn't be shocked if he didn't get another start this season.

"I only made three starts in the calendar year of 2006," Clemmensen said. "It wouldn't surprise me if it went either way. They may want to rest Marty near the end of the season to get ready for the playoffs. I haven't really talked to them at all, so I don't know really what their plan is."

BRIEFS: Left wing Jay Pandolfo was the only other Devil not to practice Wednesday, but insisted that he is healthy and will play tonight. Pandolfo has played in 251 consecutive games, the best current ironman streak on the team. "I don't talk about that," Pandolfo said of his streak. "I'll be playing [tonight]." ... The Devils called up forward Rod Pelley from Lowell (AHL) on Wednesday and Julien said he might play tonight, but didn't indicate who he would replace. Pelley, an undrafted free agent signed out of Ohio State in July, had eight goals and eight assists in 39 games with Lowell.

Hmmm...it seems like somebody should be going crazy right about now...or maybe Gulitti is just another delusional idiot like the rest of us. :P

SARCASM ALERT...SARCASM ALERT...

C'mon now...don't you know that Marty's just another selfish a$$hole who simply wants to pad his stats and doesn't care about the good of the team? Don't you know that Julien is just a weak-minded puppet who's absolutely terrified of Marty and won't dare not start him because Marty calls all the shots?

------------------------------------------

I have to admit, I'm a little bit surprised Clemmy's not starting tonight, but the Devils still have games remaining against the Flyers. He might get another chance down the line.

The coaching staff and Marty have everything under control.

Depending on how you look at it, Clemmy either has the best or worst job in the wrold.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hmmm...it seems like somebody should be going crazy right about now...or maybe Gulitti is just another delusional idiot like the rest of us. :P

Wow I still fail to see how him playing every game the rest of the way helps this team in any way for their playoff run. If devs get knocked out in first round because Marty looks tired who is to blame?

And 731 I thank you for the humor, no hard feelings about other night? Yea I probably went a bit overboard but hey they just lost and I really hate when that happens... you know how it is, we all root differently.

Colorado wow you are a piece of work. Someone else's posts about it and you finally feel brave enough to open that hole in your face again. Pathetic. Oh and by the way Mr. English scholar you spelled World wrong.

Edited by njdevils783

Here's the Devils' remaining schedule:

FEBRUARY OPPONENT

Thu. 1 at Philadelphia

Sat. 3 Buffalo

Tue. 6 NY Rangers

Thu. 8 NY Islanders

Sun. 11 Tampa Bay

Wed. 14 Montreal

Fri. 16 Pittsburgh

Sat. 17 at NY Islanders

Tue. 20 NY Rangers

Thu. 22 at NY Rangers

Sat. 24 Washington

Sun. 25 at Washington

Tue. 27 at Pittsburgh

MARCH OPPONENT

Fri. 2 Toronto

Sun. 4 Boston

Tue. 6 at Philadelphia

Thu. 8 at Pittsburgh

Sat. 10 at Buffalo

Wed. 14 Pittsburgh

Thu. 15 at Carolina

Sat. 17 Carolina

Tue. 20 at Toronto

Thu. 22 at Tampa Bay

Sat. 24 at Florida

Tue. 27 at NY Islanders

Wed. 28 at Buffalo

Fri. 30 Philadelphia

APRIL OPPONENT

Sun. 1 Boston

Tue. 3 Ottawa

Thu. 5 at Philadelphia

Sun. 8 NY Islanders

I find it hard to believe that Clemmensen won't get some games in. After tonight the Devils still have three games against the Flyers. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemmy get a start in the Capitals home-and -home, one or two against the Flyers, maybe another one or more against the Islanders, Boston or Florida. It's too early to start worrying about Marty being tired...if he is, the staff will find games to rest him.

Wow I still fail to see how him playing every game the rest of the way helps this team in any way for their playoff run. If devs get knocked out in first round because Marty looks tired who is to blame?

And 731 I thank you for the humor, no hard feelings about other night? Yea I probably went a bit overboard but hey they just lost and I really hate when that happens... you know how it is, we all root differently.

Colorado wow you are a piece of work. Someone else's posts about it and you finally feel brave enough to open that hole in your face again. Pathetic. Oh and by the way Mr. English scholar you spelled World wrong.

Yes, I made a typo (that's different than a misspelling). Every now and then I do that. At least I know the difference between your and you're, and when to use each, and that "world" isn't capitalized. And I don't relentlessly butcher the English language like you do time and time again.

Better to be a scholar than a moron, I say.

If you now think you're going to get under my skin by harassing me with your abundant lack of wit in other threads knock yourself out. I'm not going to bother to respond from here on out.

BTW if you're going to show off your jelly guns you might want to work out just a little bit.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fri. 16 Pittsburgh

Sat. 17 at NY Islanders

Sat. 24 Washington

Sun. 25 at Washington

Wed. 14 Pittsburgh

Thu. 15 at Carolina

Tue. 27 at NY Islanders

Wed. 28 at Buffalo

So there are only 4 back to backs left, although I may have missed some. Those back to backs aren't even part of a long stretch of games really, most have either 2 days off before or after, so I could definitely see Marty playing all the rest of the games depending on how he feels and where the team is in the standings.

One thing to remember is that, I believe, we've read Julien gives more days off than most Devils coaches have to keep the team fresher. Early in the year has was getting bagged on pretty hard for doing that but one of the advantages of doing that is letting your guys play more games.

what sucks though is that if you've ever talked to clemmy, he really doesn't care about the money. he'd much rather play more. i mean, i know i would. the money is great but it's not like he's a banker that keeps getting paid vaction days, he's a serious hockey player who probably thought he was the luckiest guy in the world when he got called up to the big leauges and now he never gets to play.

clemm told RD once that if he had the chance to go to another team and get more playing time, even though he loves the devils he would and i can't blame him. poor clemmy :saddevil:

Hmm...did I miss some drama somewhere?

Yah. That is serious. Since the Sabres are so good and I think Marty will not able to win back-2-back games, especially Buffalo. So the chance of winning the game is not high, why not roll the dice on Clemmy??? But anyway, it is just a thought.

Unless, Unless.....the team has a chance to win the No. 1 spot of the East.

Yah. That is serious. Since the Sabres are so good and I think Marty will not able to win back-2-back games, especially Buffalo. So the chance of winning the game is not high, why not roll the dice on Clemmy??? But anyway, it is just a thought.

Unless, Unless.....the team has a chance to win the No. 1 spot of the East.

Uhh... they DO have a chance to grab the #1 spot in the East. Where ya been? We're 6 points behind Buffalo right now, and could be 4 back by the end of the night. Nice defeatist attitude too. "Oh well, we probably won't beat Buffalo, so let's start Clemmensen." What the hell is that bro??

I feel honored that New Jersey has the priviledge of having the potentially the greatest goalie that ever lived as our goaltender, and I love Marty's passion for the game, but I am kind of concerned that we will burn him out before April. What happens, Odin forbid, if he gets injured?????

Clemmy needs to be prepared. Marty needs to rest.

I feel honored that New Jersey has the priviledge of having the potentially the greatest goalie that ever lived as our goaltender, and I love Marty's passion for the game, but I am kind of concerned that we will burn him out before April. What happens, Odin forbid, if he gets injured?????

Clemmy needs to be prepared. Marty needs to rest.

I agree. Clemmer should be playing tonight. There is no reason for him not to.

This is bullsh!t. I sincerely hope Clemmensen signs with a team that will actually give him a shot next year. God, I know he's not going to be an elite goalie but he is certainly a suitable backup that should get at least a LITTLE more playing time than this. Julien has no faith in him. Sad.

I agree with RD's assessment. Clemmy is a good backup, there's no reason for him to be on the bench for 99% of the season. Marty has been superhuman this year, but I'm sure the man still gets tired from time to time.. just look at the Florida game. Tonights matchup against Philly is should be a 'gimme' game before a long haul with games against BUF, NYR, NYI coming in just a few days.

No reason why Clemmy should sit tonight, but of course he will. I don't understand it. :soap:

Clemmensen is not a good backup, but that shouldn't preclude him from playing. Fact is, this should not be Marty's game, and the Devils should look into resting him once in a while.

I don't think Clemmensen has an NHL job if not for New Jersey. Remember, he was UFA this summer.

I say we just get a cardboard cut out with pads and put him in the one game a season Marty rests...at least then it would save on the cap room and open a spot on the roster....but that's just me....

We have seen this time and time again the past few years when we get booted out of the playoffs there is usually a handful of people who believe it's because Marty is tired and there is sufficient evidence to suggest such, as most have said in this thread there is no reason why Marty should be playing tonight and there is no reason why Clemmy or Clemmer or Clammy or whatever you want to call our pseudo back up shouldn't play more games down the stretch.

Yes, I made a typo (that's different than a misspelling). Every now and then I do that. At least I know the difference between your and you're, and when to use each, and that "world" isn't capitalized. And I don't relentlessly butcher the English language like you do time and time again.

Better to be a scholar than a moron, I say.

If you now think you're going to get under my skin by harassing me with your abundant lack of wit in other threads knock yourself out. I'm not going to bother to respond from here on out.

BTW if you're going to show off your jelly guns you might want to work out just a little bit.

Well apparently now your checking me out too haha sorry I don't go that way. And besides the ladies seem to enjoy my looks nicely soooooo I'm happy. And wow this coming from the guy who has yet to even post a picture of his insecure ass.

Oh and in reference to "butchering" the english language... I don't know many doctors that write pefectly so I'm happy. Ill stick to my anatomy and biochemistry. Things which are far to advanced for your inferior brain so enjoy your grammer.

Edited by njdevils783