GDT: Devils @ Rangers

MadDog2020

A few thoughts:

1. Really liked the chemistry between Gomer and Elias tonight. Flashes of EGG line greatness. They just couldn't connect.

2. Rafalski's goal was scored for one reason and one reason only -- because Lundqvist saw who was shooting it and assumed it would be a weak wrister into the defenseman's shins.

3. The Madden line was simply awesome last night. Outside of Marty, they're the most important thing behind this team's consistant success.

4. HDNET was everything it usually is: Great, candid announcing from VBK and the other guy, who speak honestly about the league instead of smoking its chode like other national broadcasters do...but at the same time, HDNET kept putting up a graphic that said the game was being played in Philly!

5. For the sake of can-of-worm opening, I won't go on another anti-shootout rant. But, again, I have no idea how anyone could watch the first 65 minutes of great hockey and then be happy with six penalty shots carrying the same point value in the standings.

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory on the popularity of the shootout by non-traditional hockey fans. Because hockey is the ultimate team sport and Americans love the David vs Goliath story line, when the game goes to a shootout, it moves from a team vs team game to a one on one game. And I guess Americans still love to root for the one that can grab the glory. Americans are very much pro individuals. See baseball, one guy, a pitcher or a hitter can make or break the game.

That's just my two cents, probably about all it's worth.

:evil:

what a great game last night. my brother is a rangers fan who has season tix, so he gave me tix. maybe cause i was nice and bought him a rangers tee for x-mas. but i was there at the garden, surrounded by all those blue shirts. and there were quite a few of us routing for our team. it was sweet, i was sitting up top, but still a great view, espec for the third period and ot when marty was on my side and i had a better view of the master. they were chanting "marty", but that didn't phase him. some day i'll be able to tell my kids, if i have any that i got to watch him. what an intense game, just like tuesday. madden and langenbrunner were great, but this kid parise, damn he is sick. awesome shootout. it was an incredible feeling walking out of that place. on to the playoffs soon.

:evil:

Someone please explain what HDNET is?

And my voice is still hoarse from Tuesday's game.

Awesome 2 games. Parise you ROCK!!!

HDNet is a channel that braodcasts only in HD owned by Mark Cuban, the guy who owns the Dallas Mavericks. It shows news programming, movies, sports... pretty much everything.

The Devils should thank Avery for the overtime call on Jagr. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The Devils have to thank Rupp actually....I was pissed earlier when Rupp got called when he went through the crease and bump Henrik but I think that was actually why Jagr got called when he did it to the Devils...not that it mattered because we still didn't score on it :)

I have to say though I was convinced that if we took it to a shoot out we would lose...glad I was wrong :D

The Devils have to thank Rupp actually....I was pissed earlier when Rupp got called when he went through the crease and bump Henrik but I think that was actually why Jagr got called when he did it to the Devils...not that it mattered because we still didn't score on it :)

I have to say though I was convinced that if we took it to a shoot out we would lose...glad I was wrong :D

Jagr's was in OT, I don't think they make that 2 minute call in a 5 minute OT unless Avery spouts out in the press that was the Ranger game plan to crowd Marty.

He DESERVES to be trashed for that $hit. I'm not sure why you call it whining when it's valid.

And yes, I heard a lot of great calls last night after the game. The entertainment value was great.

There was this one caller that hit it on the head saying "you just knew the Devils would comeback and win. You could take Jagr and Nylander and see what you get for them. Because their style of play is just skating a bunch of circles instead of shooting. I feel like i'm watching the Ice Capades!!!"

It's the call that inspired my post last night in this thread.

Did you or anyone happen to hear this call from Somers?