Should Sarge have his number retired?

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Should Sarge have his number retired?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sarge have his number retired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Someone else should instead.

Thoughts??

If you think someone else , say who and why??

I like the idea.

Hey is everything a Devils player should be.

Edit: Or even just a banner recognising Sarges achevements.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes, *BUT* I think this is going to be a problem for the Devils. Sure, other teams have retired numbers for guys that meant a lot to their organization and played for them for a long time, even if they were not star players. But if the Devils start doing that, we are going to become the Avalanche and have to resort to going to hexadecimal numbers. Marty obviously is going up, but Sarge, Mad-dog, Colin, The Great Pandolfo, Gio, Patty... they could all end up being career Devils. We can't retire them all can we?

I voted yes, *BUT* I think this is going to be a problem for the Devils. Sure, other teams have retired numbers for guys that meant a lot to their organization and played for them for a long time, even if they were not star players. But if the Devils start doing that, we are going to become the Avalanche and have to resort to going to hexadecimal numbers. Marty obviously is going up, but Sarge, Mad-dog, Colin, The Great Pandolfo, Gio, Patty... they could all end up being career Devils. We can't retire them all can we?

Very true.

Madden and Pando could share a banner :P

Madden would have to get his own cuz it would have to hang wide and to the right of the goal... :D

I voted yes because of what he means to the team...Marty of course will and when it's said and done Elias will probably own alot of Devils offensive records and he means alot to the organization too (as well as being the biggest offensive star he could be as a Devil....)

Edited by UnderDogX

I like what the Toronto Argonauts have. They have "Retired numbers" for guys like running-back and now coach "Pinball" Clemens who played for the KC Chiefs in 87 and then played the rest of his career, 12 years, with Toronto winning 3 Grey Cups in that time. Then they have a "Not to be Forgotten" section where they hang the picture of some of the other important players that have played for the team, such as Doug Flutie, Joe Theismann, Mike Vanderjagt, etc but didn't quite distinguish themselves enough to deserve a number retiring.

Definitely put him in a Hall of Fame, Ring of Honor, whatever you want to honor all of your important cogs with.

Absolutely no to retiring his number though. That's reserved for great players mostly with Daneyko being a very special exception, being that he played 20+ years with one team, was an original Devil with three Cups and was the ultimate warrior. Brylin is a nice complementary player but honestly in the grand scheme probably isn't as important as Madden or even Pando and I wouldn't retire their numbers either.

Speaking of Brylin I was listening to the radio broadcast driving home and they were talking to some Red Wings scout during the second intermission and he mentioned how after the trade deadline teams scout more for next year, UFA's and the like and he mentioned how the Devils have UFA's like Gomez, Rafalski and Brylin. I didn't realize he was a UFA but it's funny he brought him up, as if Lou would ever let him go anywhere else :)

.... We can't retire them all can we?

The Rock can have a Ring Of Honor ala Texas Stadium.

THAT would be the best thing to do with career Devils! :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

A Bermuda Triangle as it were?

I think we should have a "Ring of Fire" personally.

Retireds Should Be:

Stevens

Dano

Marty

Pando and Madden together.

Doc with a little microphone on the banner.

Ring of Fire:

-Patty

-Driver

-Nieds

-Johnny Mac

-Claude

-Muller

-Albelin

-Sarge

I'd love it if we retired Sarge's #, but I don't think we will. I mean, we haven't even had Tommy Albelin night yet.

I think Sarge should have his number retired, granted that remains playing with the Devils for the rest of his career.

I like Sarge as much as anyone else, but number retirement should be a BIG thing, the absolute top-tier players like Marty and Scott Stevens. One could argue that Ken Danyeko isn't the top tier, but he was the heart of the franchise for so long that that made sense...I like the Ring Of Fire thing suggested a few posts back for guys like Sarge, Niedermeyer, Madden, et al, personally...

Pando retired??

Gotta add DOWD to the ring and Rupp of course.

Of course they need to hang around town!!

You have to retire Elias'. He'll be the franchise leading scorer, the captain for a long time, and a career devil. Also 2 cups and hopefully more..

3,4, 30, 26, 15 (I still Johnny Mac deserves it), Doc (Microphone)

then we can consinder

11 and 20...especially if they finish their careers and win more championships, these guys are so critical.

Enough of this!!! Retired? Sarge? C'mon guys...

I love Sarge but he's never been even remotely our best player... or on our top line... or on our top two lines. Never heard any all star buzz for him.

Doesn't mean I don't like him or I'm glad he's been here, but soon we'll be retiring numbers of every player who won a Cup if this board has its way.