Any Electricians?

sammyk

No, there isn't a 150,000 volts gone missing, I need help with a ceiling fan installation.

So, I bought this fan from Home Depot (yah, whatever) and I go to install it as per the instructions. I think I'm handy enough to do it so I have it all hooked up and nothing happens. No lights, no rotation. Now here is my question:

My box had a red wire but the instructions that came with the fan make no mention of a red wire. There was an existing fan and I didn't make note of what the red wire was spliced to.

Here is the scenario:

Supply > Remote Receiver > Fan

White > White > White

Black > Black > Black

Bare > x > Green

Red > ???

x > Blue > Blue

x = no corresponding wire.

I hope that makes sense.

Now it's my understanding that if there was no remote receiver that the red wire would go straight to the blue wire from the fan. Should I just splice it into there?

does the fan have a light too?

Is the receiver grounded?

(bare/green/to a screw?)

The extra red should just be an extra hot wire dead end it or go to the blue

then of course yer remote has to have batteries :lol: and any switch needs to be on. :giggle:

Yep, it has a light.

The receiver doesn't have a green wire. There is a green wire from the fan and from the mounting bracket. I have them both spliced to the bare wire from the ceiling.

I have the red capped right now but it was attached to something in the old fixture and since things aren't working I'm guessing I need it.

Supply > Remote Receiver > Fan

White > White > White (this would be your nuetral)

Black > Black > Black (this would be a power leg)

Bare > x > Green (this is your ground

Red > ??? (Red form supply is probably second switch leg)

x > Blue > Blue (I am guessing the Blue is the second of either fan motor, or light feed)

x = no corresponding wire.

Chris

I haven't opened the switch but I figure it's nothing fancy. It's just one switch and it doesn't control a outlet or anythng. It only controlled the fan fixture, light/fan would come on at once if the chains were set to on. I'm not changing anything on this end. I thought that since there was a light/fan fixture there already that I would be able to swap it out.

Wires from fan are white/black/blue/green.

Wires from ceiling are white/black/red/bare.

I didn't do the red/blue as it was not mentioned in the instructions...figures things don't work when I actually follow them.

Anyways, so right now I have blue/blue (from fan to remote receiver) so should I just put the red in there as well and get a bigger wire nut?

Yeah, those blues and reds are just alternate "hot" colors. Different makes use different colors. You just need to get power to those blues, which is what the red will do for ya.. That should do it.

So wait, the black doesn't provide power? I thought that was hot too?

The son of an electrical engineer/contractor should know this but alas. :doh1:

Here is how it is currently...what should I change?

Yes, I know I spelled receiver wrong. :P

post-19-1174801843_thumb.jpg

post-19-1174801843_thumb.jpg

So the previous fan operated off a single wall switch. When the switch was thrown the fan would turn on is that correct? Or would the light turn on, or both? I think I read it as the fan was operated by the switch, and then you could pull the chain to turn the light on or off. If that is the case this next question is important. Could you turn the light on or off while the fan, and wall switch were in the off position?

Just as an aside to a question you asked along the way. The Red, and the black are normally switched both hot legs. That do not always have to be however. If the electrical source is actually in the cieling, an electrician will sometimes run a three wire down to a wall switch. In this instance the red would act as a switch leg. Essentially in this example the power is in the cieling box, so the black wire of the three wire would carry power down to the wall switch, and then maybe beyond, hence the need for also running a nuetral down to the switch, The red wire would then carry the switched electric back up to power the fan. This is not what you would find in most instances but it could be the case.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been running around a bit.

Chris

So the previous fan operated off a single wall switch. When the switch was thrown the fan would turn on is that correct? Or would the light turn on, or both? I think I read it as the fan was operated by the switch, and then you could pull the chain to turn the light on or off. If that is the case this next question is important. Could you turn the light on or off while the fan, and wall switch were in the off position?

Just as an aside to a question you asked along the way. The Red, and the black are normally switched both hot legs. That do not always have to be however. If the electrical source is actually in the cieling, an electrician will sometimes run a three wire down to a wall switch. In this instance the red would act as a switch leg. Essentially in this example the power is in the cieling box, so the black wire of the three wire would carry power down to the wall switch, and then maybe beyond, hence the need for also running a nuetral down to the switch, The red wire would then carry the switched electric back up to power the fan. This is not what you would find in most instances but it could be the case.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been running around a bit.

Chris

First question... Do you have a voltmeter? If not, you definitely want to get one... It's a lot easier figuring stuff out when you can see which wires have voltage (plus, it saves you from getting unnecessarily shocked).

Is the fan/receiver 3-way capable? Are the other blue and red hanging outside (like awaiting connections) or are they internal to the fan enclosure?

If it's a 3-way that would explain all the extra hots. Plus, there's usually an extra hot in case you want to add a seperate fan switch (definitely worth the extra for the special switch).

The instructions should say something about the other colors but they might be in a different section if they're meant for a different type of installation (like 3-ways or separate fan/light switch).

What brand/model fan is it? Maybe there's an online manual that could help?

Good luck!

-Dan

I don't have a voltmeter.

The only wire "awaiting connection" is the red wire.

I just took a look at another fan I have in another room that is hooked up the same way. It has the red/black/blue wire all spliced together. It doesn't have a remote receiver though so should I just put the black black from the ceiling, black from the receiver and red from the ceiling together?

Here is a picture of the setup in another room. This fan is controlled the same way. Wall switch powers the fixture and the chains control what is on and off.

It seems here that one black has been capped off.

Blue/Black from fan are attached to red from supply.

Ground/Ground & White/White.

Maybe I'll give that a try on the new one...

EDIT: Forgot to add the pic, sorry for the bluriness.:

post-19-1174851532_thumb.jpg

Edited by sammyk

It seems to be working and I haven't heard a crash from the other room yet. Reversing it seems a little weird as it makes a bit of a humming sound then goes in the right direction, stops and reverses again but I finally got it to go. Now I'm confident I can replace the other fans. B )

Thanks to everyone that helped! :hail: Probably wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. Well, maybe I would have but only after electrocution. :evil:

Some pictures of the finished job:

post-19-1174855376_thumb.jpgpost-19-1174855409_thumb.jpg

It seems to be working and I haven't heard a crash from the other room yet. Reversing it seems a little weird as it makes a bit of a humming sound then goes in the right direction, stops and reverses again but I finally got it to go. Now I'm confident I can replace the other fans. B )

Thanks to everyone that helped! :hail: Probably wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. Well, maybe I would have but only after electrocution. :evil:

Some pictures of the finished job:

post-19-1174855376_thumb.jpgpost-19-1174855409_thumb.jpg

you are a lot taller than I thought

Wow. Don't recall ever having seen a black supply capped and not used. You had yerself one special electrician wire that home. :huh:

Congrats on becoming an electricity expert. :clap2:

you are a lot taller than I thought

I admit, I was wearing ladder shoes.

Wow. Don't recall ever having seen a black supply capped and not used. You had yerself one special electrician wire that home. :huh:

Congrats on becoming an electricity expert. :clap2:

I'm not surprised. The places I've lived always seem to have oddball wiring. The house I grew up in had some crazy phone wiring. It even stumped the phone company and they were the ones that installed it in the 70s when you didn't have sub-contractors doing it, or so they said.

The red is most likely meant for running the fan and light off different switches. The blue might be for a 3-way (hehe - sorry, had to).

If you're going to be doing other electrical work (especially in an older house with "special" wiring), I would definitely invest in a multimeter and test everything! Saved my butt more than a few times (my house is "special", too). Even just a cheepo voltage tester would suffice.

Glad to hear you've got it working!

-Dan

This house isn't really special. It's pretty standard actually so I don't know why the wiring would be different but it seems to be from what y'all have said.

I'm putting in another fan and in its instructions it says the blue is only used if there is a light kit. Both fans had light kits as well as the ones they replaced so I guess that's what the blue is for.

I'll be back with the results of fan number two in a bit...