david hale playing big time mins

Beetlebum

I already regret this trade. Hale isn't the kind of player to put up big numbers, but he is steady and strong in his own end. Hale is will be a mainstay in Calgary for years to come and will maintain their tradition of great defense.

I wish him the best.

Good for him! I'm glad he's getting playing time and he could be a big time defenseman. Just not here.

A mainstay in Calgary? He's UFA at the end of 2008.

If by 'steady and strong in his own end' you mean 'treated the puck like a grenade and thought an outlet pass was to ice the puck' - then I agree. Hale regressed terribly this year and who knows who he would've been if not for the several injuries he's suffered in his career. His upside is a 3rd pairing defenseman - that's it. It's like regretting letting go of Andrei Zyuzin.

I'm willing to bet that David Hale never averages more than 21 minutes of ice time per game in a season, and that he never averages more than 17 on a playoff team.

He is not very good - he has poor decision making skills and does nothing well. To say he will be a great defensive defenseman is either an incredible amount of hope or a severe misuse of the word 'great' -

Hale never got pushed around in the corners? Sure - but he also had no idea how to get the puck out of the corner, and often put it there himself. Greene is still a slight upgrade over Hale all things considered - he can play the 2nd PP.

Edited by Triumph

So far I would say Greene has been a downgrade for this season from Hale. Greene has had a lot of problems in the defensive end and his offense has not been very effective yet. In the long term Greene, I think, will have more impact because I think 2 way defenseman are more valuable in the game today.

It was a dumb trade, period. Hale still has a long way to go in his development, but most D's with his size can't skate well enough to stick in the NHL anymore. But that's ok, I'm sure that late 3rd rounder will land us one hell of a hockey player in this year's incredibly "strong" draft! :doh1:

Besides, Tara Lipinsky has been improving abit lately. I'm sure Tommy Albelin would be proud to see her wearing his old number!

It was a dumb trade, period. Hale still has a long way to go in his development, but most D's with his size can't skate well enough to stick in the NHL anymore. But that's ok, I'm sure that late 3rd rounder will land us one hell of a hockey player in this year's incredibly "strong" draft! :doh1:

Besides, Tara Lipinsky has been improving abit lately. I'm sure Tommy Albelin would be proud to see her wearing his old number!

Hale was doing just fine on a 3rd pairing. Oduya is not the same kind of D, so in my book they shouldn't really be compared. The main thing hampering his development was that Julien obviously didn't like him. My problem with that is that I don't think Julien is a very good coach, and I don't think he'll be here very long.

As for Matvichuk, he's too expensive for the Devils to afford. At this point in his career he's a pretty average D, and his lack of speed was pretty apparent last year. The smart move would have been to send Matvichuk someplace for a pick (or whatever you could get) at the deadline.

Hale was doing just fine on a 3rd pairing. Oduya is not the same kind of D, so in my book they shouldn't really be compared. The main thing hampering his development was that Julien obviously didn't like him. My problem with that is that I don't think Julien is a very good coach, and I don't think he'll be here very long.

So far I would say Greene has been a downgrade for this season from Hale. Greene has had a lot of problems in the defensive end and his offense has not been very effective yet. In the long term Greene, I think, will have more impact because I think 2 way defenseman are more valuable in the game today.

Once Matty is back, I don't expect Greene to play much anyway. It's good to get him sometime now.

Hale was an afterthought. Where was this confidence you're speaking of? He barely played, took a lot of penalties for the minutes, he did, often threw away the puck like a hot potato.

Greene is perfect? No. Is he a downgrade right now? Sure. But not by much, and he's not hurting the Devils by taking penalties. We're a a playoff team, and Greene is a 7th guy oonce Matty returns.

Greene and Hale are not the difference between life or death for this team.