GDT: Devils @ Buffalo

MadDog2020

The negativity from Devils fans is getting ridiculious. :blahblah: Have some confidence that Brodeur has a chance for the record and the Devils can win the division and the #2 seed. :evil: Screw Pittsburgh!

I could care less about the record, or winning the division, if Marty is playing like he is on life-support?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Lou will have to seriously consider trading Marty (I know he has a no trade clause but players have waived them) before his value plummets any further. After his piss poor performance in March, I doubt any team would take him unless he spent 6 months in a sanitarium for intense rest.

Maybe Lou will have to seriously consider trading Marty (I know he has a no trade clause but players have waived them) before his value plummets any further. After his piss poor performance in March, I doubt any team would take him unless he spent 6 months in a sanitarium for intense rest.

Seriously! It's horrible! We have won 2 of the last 3 games and people are still expecting the team to get knocked out in the first round. What the fvck do you guys want? You can't win every single game. It's not even like they got blown out last night or lost to a crappy team. They lost by one goal to the best team in the East!!

Some of you people must have serious depression issues.

Last eight games: Pittsburgh - L, at Carolina - W, Carolina - L, at Toronto - L, at Tampa Bay - L, at Florida - W, at Islanders - W, at Buffalo - L

3-5. And some of those were with injuries. The team still has destiny in its own hands and four out of their last five at home, four out of their last five against non-playoff teams, or teams that don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway (cough Isles cough).

Last eight games: Pittsburgh - L, at Carolina - W, Carolina - L, at Toronto - L, at Tampa Bay - L, at Florida - W, at Islanders - W, at Buffalo - L

3-5. And some of those were with injuries. The team still has destiny in its own hands and four out of their last five at home, four out of their last five against non-playoff teams, or teams that don't deserve to make the playoffs anyway (cough Isles cough).

Last eight games: Pittsburgh - L, at Carolina - W, Carolina - L, at Toronto - L, at Tampa Bay - L, at Florida - TIE, at Islanders - W, at Buffalo - L

That 'tie' had nothing to do with the team's play though, it had everything to do with the fact that Elias, Gionta, Madden, Rasmussen and later Langenbrunner were all out of the lineup.

Some of you want to gloss over the injuries, they're a factor. Yes Buffalo's been winning in spite of a ton of injuries, more power to them. It's not always that easy though. We don't have their depth and what depth we do have is compromised by the cap somewhat. But I'll take my chances with our starting twenty against theirs, or any others.

I think he's already out of it by now, yes he didn't beat King Ego in '01 but since then he won his third Cup, a couple of Vezinas and a gold (something even Saint Waaah didn't bring to Canada). I wasn't sure how many Vezinas Waaah won - just checked and he had three in the late '80's, early '90's - Marty has two and will probably match or surpass that total by the end of his career. Plus he'll own all of Waaah's records barring injury.

Roy has one more cup, one more Vezina, THREE Conn Smythes, his playoff win record won't be broken by Marty, and he had a better winning percentage. I love Marty but he's not on the same level as Roy/Hasek.
Edited by SickMan

When it takes another 10-15 years for another keeper of Brodeur's talent & consistency to come along, that is when those folks will appreciate how incredible it has been to watch this superstar talent night in/night out for the last 12/13 years.

I think Luongo has a shot at being this goalie right now.

I would put Roy ahead of Hasek and Brodeur - but I think Brodeur and Hasek are on around the same level. Brodeur has really elevated his game these past few years, IMO. Also, you look at this Devils roster and tell me how it wins - 'cause the high level talent isn't performing, and there's no Scott Stevens back there either.

When it takes another 10-15 years for another keeper of Brodeur's talent & consistency to come along, that is when those folks will appreciate how incredible it has been to watch this superstar talent night in/night out for the last 12/13 years.

Exactly.

I'm not a big basketball fan, but it always cracks me up how much Knick fans love Ewing now that his playing days are over. When he played for them he was the guy who couldn't get it done in the big spot, the guy who never lived up to expectations, etc...

For some reason a lot of fans expect Brodeur to be absolutely perfect every night. He's not, of course, and occasionally is actually human for stretches here and there. (Of course, this year every time that happens it's because he's tired and overworked, and the coaching staff doesn't know what they're doing. But a bunch of message board people know better.) I stand by what I wrote in my sig...it's sad that this all-time great player still doesn't get the respect that he deserves.

76, I think his overtime record in the playoffs is his most glaring deficiency from Roy - it's really not any good. I think for that reason he's got to be ranked #2 - but yeah, Devil fans don't know how good they have it. I've only known one goalie as a fan of the Devils - but as a fan of the Giants, I've known 6 quarterbacks, all of them garbage - that's like what the Flyers have to go through. We may miss Stevens and Niedermayer - but this franchise will be in trouble when Marty decides to hang them up.

Are you out of your mind? Look I can't stand Hasek and Roy but I will give them the credit they deserve as they are two of the most dominant and influential goalies to ever play the game. But to say that Marty isn't on their level is just ridiculous.

I'm not going to present all of Marty's stats because anybody who truly follows this team knows what he has accomplished and what he is capable of doing. The man is a legend. Some say he is the best, others don't feel that way. Whatever the case, when all is said in done, when people have a discussion about the best goalie of all time, Brodeur will be mentioned every single time.

I really think many devils fans take Brodeur for granted and its a real shame because he has done so much for the organization. Just think about how many people became Devils fans just because of him. Fcvk being the best goalie of all time, Marty is one of the best players to ever play in the history of the NHL. Marty is the best goalie that has ever worn a Devils sweater and he will hold that title for the rest of the franchise's existence. On top of that he has been so loyal to the Devils, when he could have easily been a giant a$$hole like Roy and Hasek have been at times to certain teams they played for.

Every single year the Devils are a threat because there is a Roy/Hasek level goalie guarding the cage for them. When Marty is gone I highly doubt things are going to be the way they are now and that's when he will be really missed.

I'm a Marty homer for sure and he is the one player on this team that can have a bad game and will get a free pass from me every single time. Marty is the Devils and for anybody who doubts his place in this games history just ask yourself one question. Would the Devils have become what they are today with Trevor Kidd between the pipes? Yeah the Devils were up and coming before Marty became a regular for the Devils, but Marty put the Devils on the map.

Brodeur isn't on Roy or Hasek's level. He is in a league of his own and has created his own level. Just look at the ceilings of CAA and you will realize what level he is on. He wasn't by himself but he played a tremendous role in helping to decorate the CAA with all those banners.

Can I nominate this as the best post of the year so far? Because it's the best one I've read. Well said, Sick. :hail: