Claude Julien fired as head coach

John Wensink

I don't know how anyone could seriously have expected any coach to win more games than Julien has so far this year. Julien had a team with some flaws and lots of injuries and has them up with some of the best teams in the league. I think it has to be some behind door issue we'll never hear about because I don't think you can fault the on ice performance he got from the team at all. I think anybody who does is being unrealistic and I would love to hear the record they think the team would have achieved with Lou, Burns, or Maclean behind the bench.

Edited by Devils731

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand how anybody can say that this isn't a good Devils team. We have the best goalie on the planet, a solid group of defenseman, two very talented and skilled forward lines, the best shut down checking line in hockey, and a fourth line that plays half way decent and can be adjusted to better suit the opponent they are facing. Plus the Devils play a defensive game better then any team in the league.

Sounds like a pretty good team to me. Maybe its the kool aid but I still don't think we have seen what this team is capable of. Julien wasn't horrible but he left a lot to be desired.

Derek IM'd me on this, and I really, really thought it was a Rangers fan taking a piss. I'm stunned.

You guys know I'm a Julien backer, and continue to be. He squeezed out more from this team, through adverse conditions, than another coach would have. You just get the feeling this is something beyond what's happening on the ice. A couple of quick thoughts:

1. Is this a complete kick in the ass message for the EGG Line? Lou knows this team is going as far as that line will take them; maybe he felt Claude just couldn't get them on the right page for the postseason.

2. Does this mean Johnny Mac behind the bench in Newark?

3. I had Julien quite high in my coaches rankings, and I stand by that. Has he been brilliant? No, but he's been very good with a team that just doesn't seem to have pieces that fit as well as they did in 2003 or 2000. Maybe Lou can figure out the puzzle he's created.

<JESTER>

I dont understand how anybody can say that this isn't a good Devils team. We have the best goalie on the planet, a solid group of defenseman, two very talented and skilled forward lines, the best shut down checking line in hockey, and a fourth line that plays half way decent and can be adjusted to better suit the opponent they are facing. Plus the Devils play a defensive game better then any team in the league.

Sounds like a pretty good team to me. Maybe its the kool aid but I still don't think we have seen what this team is capable of. Julien wasn't horrible but he left a lot to be desired.

IMO, I think it had to do with losing 5 straight at home until the weekend, losing the lead in the division and the Juilen not playing a finally healthy defenseman coming off of back surgery and thats is ready to play.

This is why one should never have to leave the computer.. I was out of the house for an hour and 15 minutes and we have a 7 page thread about our coach being fired...it was not here when I left at 12:45!!!

Damn the errands!!

I liked Lou behind the bench last time, but its sorta weird being so close to playoffs, IMO.

IMO, I think it had to do with losing 5 straight at home until the weekend, losing the lead in the division and the Juilen not playing a finally healthy defenseman coming off of back surgery and thats is ready to play.

News 12 said they will be speaking with Lou this afternoon and will have a full report at 5. Im pretty sure other sources will have full reports before then..but just figured I would share!

I agree with that. Who would want to coach this team knowing that a 102 point, first place team with three games to go isn't good enough? I think our coaches may come from within for quite a while, be it Burns or hopefully Stevens sooner or later. I also thought that this was an April Fools joke. Lou shouldn't have waited this long. I'd love to see who the players think is an ideal coach for them.

I think it'll be MacLean myself - I don't see Burns coming back, nor do I see him as an ideal coach by any stretch.

I mean - what does Lou think he can do better? Motivate Gomez? Just hang a coupla Benjamins on the opposing net. I don't get it.

I certainly hope not. 5 game losing streaks happen, we were in the playoffs already. If that's all it takes then why would anybody want to coach here in the future?

I just dont get it...

This move really makes no sense to me...If Mac is going to be the guy next season then at least let Claude finish what he started...this is really bizarre.

Edited by emptynet

I know Lou does not want to come back behind the bench. I know we did well with him last year, but you could tell it wore him out. And whenever he was asked whether he would come back and coach again, Lou would reply..."Absolutely not". Last year was supposed to be a one time thing.

This can't be just on ice stuff, especially with 3 games left in the season. It's too odd. He probably showed up drunk to practice or slept with Brind'amours wife.

Are you serious Sue? :huh:

ANY coach would love to have the Devils head coaching job with all the success they have had over the years and being in the playoffs for a straight decade now. Any coach could have done what Julien has done this season. With brodeur and the other veterans and talent this team was going to be this good no matter who was behind the bench.

Lou will make this team even more hungrier come playoff time. Cannot wait and possibly the return of Pat Burns next season. :koolaid:

I wouldn't. That GM calls the shots and apparently Julien was no more than a prop. Lamoriello is one mysterious person.