Plenty of seats available for first two games

SC Devs Fan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come we never see these attendence hit pieces on the Islanders:

Average 2006-2007 12,520

I'm not sure if Newsday runs articles about the Islanders attendence issues, maybe they do who knows.

I think the Devils attendence issue is talked about more because of the tremedous success of the franchise, where as the Islanders have been decent, but nowhere near NJ.

Also, while Lou is a blessing for NJ Devils fans, when it comes to attendence, his style, as well as the strategies of the organization, might be a detriment to attendance.. The Devils emphasize winning, team concepts, and generally, at least IMO, are not as aggressive or creative with marketing their team as they should be. Why? Because Lou cares about winning above all else.

So in closing, it is a little give and take...take the winning, sacrifice marketing the team better.

Edited by LOTCB

I'm not sure if Newsday runs articles about the Islanders attendence issues, maybe they do who knows.

I think the Devils attendence issue is talked about more because of the tremedous success of the franchise, where as the Islanders have been decent, but nowhere near NJ

Possibly.... But do we need almost weekly articles on it? And wouldn't a respectable journalist look at the other teams in the area to make a comparison? I mean it took me all of 2 seconds to form the idea and google "nhl attendence". Or would a comparison to the Islanders worse attendence be counter productive to the agenda of the so called "journalist".

It has long ceased to be "news".

Also, while Lou is a blessing for NJ Devils fans, when it comes to attendence, his style, as well as the strategies of the organization, might be a detriment to attendance.. The Devils emphasize winning, team concepts, and generally, at least IMO, are not as aggressive or creative with marketing their team as they should be. Why? Because Lou cares about winning above all else.

Isn't there a whole new marketing group involved with the new arena?

You are correct about Lou.

Edited by Hellhound

On the flip side who are you to decide what is slight or not? Gulitti probably looked at the whole arena's price structure and not just the 1 ticket that increased the most percentage wise.

Edit: On a good note that means more space for me and less hassle due to poor roads, construction, and only 1 concourse.

You're proving my point essentially. Why does there have to be an adjective. Why couldn't he have just wrote:

"Tickets range from 45 to 95 dollars. This is an increase during the regular season where they ranged from 20-90."

Sounds a bit more objective if you ask me.

Let the people decide what is a "slight"

Possibly.... But do we need almost weekly articles on it? And wouldn't a respectable journalist look at the other teams in the area to make a comparison? I mean it took me all of 2 seconds to form the idea and google "nhl attendence". Or would a comparison to the Islanders worse attendence be counter productive to the agenda of the so called "journalist".

It has long ceased to be "news".

I understand your frustrations.

I see the same thing when it comes to Buffalo sports...its easy to pile in the Bills or the city of Buffalo for being 'losers' without really doing research on the issue. Like the Toronto newspapers, calling the Sabres a 'hapless' organization. Why, because we had one owner who was crooked and ran the team to the ground? The Sabres have made the playoffs 27 of 36 years, and their overall lifetime record is WELL over .500. But yet Toronto is not 'hapless?' Please! :lol:

I called it lazy journalism, hearing what topics is 'hot' and just running with it, without thoroughly researching the issue and then forumlating an opinion.

Some members of the media are sheep, they will read one story, and follow along blindly and just write an article to fill space, probably because their employer wants something and will take anything from the writer, as long as it fills the paper or the website.

The Devils attendance issue is an eye opener, and yes, it is a problem. THIS year however, from what I understand, the parking issue at the arena is a nightmare, at leat from what I heard. And I am sure that keeps some fans away.

Also, the tickets for Devils games are MUCH too high, I do agree with a thread that was started here on this subject. And maybe some Devils fans have just become numb to this team, much like the Atlanta Braves fans did with their team (Only the Devils win more titles) and Devils fans took the teams success for granted, and because of the high ticket prices, in turn just decide wait things out and then spend the $ when the fan deems it worthy to shelve out the $ for the tickets.

Edited by LOTCB

Apples and oranges. We have won 3 Cups in the last few years and again are one of the better teams in the NHL, we should have the fan base that should sell out a playoff game. The Isles, well, they've sucked so I excuse their fans for not showing up or being convinced they have turned any kind of corner.

it's the other way around. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series since Kurt Cobain died - they are going to pack the building because the playoffs are rare out on the Island.

New Jersey has missed the playoffs once in the last 15 years. The first round just doesn't mean what it used to - and our building is terrible.

I could go - I choose not to. It depresses me to hear a half-filled arena. I'll go if there's a Game 7 though.

it's the other way around. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series since Kurt Cobain died - they are going to pack the building because the playoffs are rare out on the Island.

New Jersey has missed the playoffs once in the last 15 years. The first round just doesn't mean what it used to - and our building is terrible.

I could go - I choose not to. It depresses me to hear a half-filled arena. I'll go if there's a Game 7 though.

Plus, Id be willing to bet there will be a Sabres fan invasion on Uniondale for Games 3 and 4. Bank on that.

There's a discount for the first two games, $45s for the $60 seats that i just posted in the marketplace. It's still a markup but not as bad.

^^

whs

I was just too lazy to type it all out.

We have a partial plan during the regular season but did not buy playoff tickets for rounds one and two. I got one email reminder when the pyament was due but I did not get anymore notification including the email mentioned in Gulitti's article. I guess he was referring to full season ticket holders.

Edited by FriesenKris

Bahhh... There is tons of stuff in the area.... Waterfront Cafe? :blink:

Or more seriously up and down harmon meadow bvld or whatever that is called in seacaucus,..... There are like 10 resturaunts there.

or up on 17?

I can think of plenty of places that are better than a turnpike hotdog.

I meant in regards to a real city, where you sit down have a few pints and have some good food within walking distance to the arena. The CAA is in the middle of NOWHERE.

I'm a partial plan ticket holder and have gotten those discount ticket offers all year long, but not the playoff one. The Devils should just swallow their pride and put a full page ad in the papers tomorrow saying show up in Devils gear and get a $60 seat for $45. Have someone sponsor it so it makes it look like that company is responsible for the deal. I'm just glad I have a plan and paid $35 for my tickets, otherwise I'd be pretty PO'ed that people paid the same price as me and are sitting 20 rows lower.

Anyway, it's gonna be more embarrasing when this deal maybe puts 100 more people in the seats and then we get ripped because they had discount tickets and still couldn't fill the place. Meanwhile, it's like this deal is a secret and nobody knows where it came from, but that won't be mentioned. Don't expect this to get any better if we advance and play Ottawa in the 2nd round. We couldn't fill the building in 2003 for the Conference Finals against them, although the cheapest seats for that were $75.

As for the Islanders, you can bank on tons of Sabres fans coming down for those games. Someone on hfboards said they have several busloads coming down because they can't get tickets in Buffalo.

Meanwhile, it's like this deal is a secret and nobody knows where it came from, but that won't be mentioned. Don't expect this to get any better if we advance and play Ottawa in the 2nd round. We couldn't fill the building in 2003 for the Conference Finals against them, although the cheapest seats for that were $75.