Devils to Sign Jari Viuhkola from Finland

thefiestygoat

Finnish Paper

Looks a lot like Justin Timberlake. :lol: Here is his hockey profile from HockeyDB. He is former Black Hawks property.

Him and Parise at the WHC:

capt.xdl11405101950.russia_ice_hockey_world_championships_xdl114.jpg

A poster on HF had this to say on him:

An extremely nice guy, steady all-around team player (wore the "C" last season). He is able to play 25 minutes a night, has been excellent in face-offs, great on the 3-on-5 PK, PP wiz, great hands, hits like a train if feels like doing so.. all of this in international games and the SM-liiga, so they don't really guarantee anything, but he should be just fine. The only negative I can think of is his sometimes lazy-looking speed. However, he is a playmaking center and it's his job to create opportunities for the wingers before joining the attack himself.

SM-Liiga Silver Medal 02/03

SM-Liiga Champion 03/04

SM-Liiga Champion 04/05

SM-Liiga Bronze Medal 05/06

SM-Liiga Champion 06/07

SM-Liiga All-Star Team 06/07

World Championship Bronze Medal 05/06

World Championship Silver Medal 06/07

They also posted some links for videos of him:

Goals:

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal..._06_kalpa_2.wmv

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal...307_blues_4.wmv

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal...307_blues_4.wmv

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal...7_jokerit_7.wmv

Assists:

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal...307_blues_1.wmv

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal...6_tappara_1.wmv

http://www.oulunkarpat.fi/images/0607/maal...12006_jyp_5.wmv

Seems like he has a history of leading and winning. The big negative seems to be his skating, and he is sort of old at age 27. I wonder if he has been brought in to play on the Madden line because of his penalty killing specialties or if they want him on the fourth line. Seems like a solid pick up. Hopefully he is more successful than Pihlman.

Edited by thefiestygoat

no clue why they would bring a guy like this in, unless rasmussen's played his last game in New Jersey. Even then - he's certainly interesting, but you can't pencil a guy like this in as the checking line center and get rid of Madden, nor can you really see him on an NHL scoreline.

btw this thread should go in Hell IMO.

Edited by Triumph

This thread should probably be in Hell. I figured since he was coming from oversees and could play in the AHL it should go in Purgatory, but after reading up on him, it seems like he has a decent chance to be on the Devils, so this thread should be moved if the mods see fit.

Also, I was thinking more about him playing RW on the Madden line or being on the Fourth line. I am definitely not advocating getting rid of Madden, that guy is a beast.

My thoughts is that he may be assigned to Lowell at first. Maybe to take the place of Pelley, since I'm a firm believer in if Dowd's out next season Pelley should be part of the big club. *shrugs* Who knows though. I love Finns so wherever this kid lands within the organization I'll keep an eye on him.

My thoughts is that he may be assigned to Lowell at first. Maybe to take the place of Pelley, since I'm a firm believer in if Dowd's out next season Pelley should be part of the big club. *shrugs* Who knows though. I love Finns so wherever this kid lands within the organization I'll keep an eye on him.

This guy seems like he provides a lot of the same attributes but is better offensively - he's also older. Pelley's audition with the big club really didn't go all that well - he can play defense but his offense was just brutally bad.

However, with Bergfors leaving and Papineau likely to follow, it's probable Viuhkola gets stuck in the minors, because the Devils are once again desperate for minor league depth - but why he would sign on for that, I'm not sure.

This guy seems like he provides a lot of the same attributes but is better offensively - he's also older. Pelley's audition with the big club really didn't go all that well - he can play defense but his offense was just brutally bad.

However, with Bergfors leaving and Papineau likely to follow, it's probable Viuhkola gets stuck in the minors, because the Devils are once again desperate for minor league depth - but why he would sign on for that, I'm not sure.

Considering that if this happened Pelley would be on the 4th line... and the jobs of our current 4th line members... I don't think offense is what they are expecting from him.

Viuhkola has a chance to play on the Devils.

If he can transfer these skills to the NHL he could be another steal for the Devils, like Oduya or Rafalski.

I wonder if he is versitile enough to play right wing on the 3rd line.

If he can hit, set up plays and score as well as opperate o the PP ad PK then he should be a good aquisition.

If he goes to lowell he could be Captin replacing Mcgillis if he wore the "C" for his old club, he has the potential to make an impact in the AHL as well.

We will have to see how he gets on in Training Camp.

The fact that Chicago gave him up probably means he is infact a hockey genius , since Chicago dosnt have a clue.

It's being reported that this guy won't accept a demotion to the minors, hence the reason why has not signed with an NHL team before.

When I hear things like that it really bugs me a lot, and I have a hard time believing Lou would sign a guy like that. If he doesn't get a spot on the big team he's going back to Europe. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is....

..then f*** him!!!

Edited by Devilswede

It's being reported that this guy won't accept a demotion to the minors, hence the reason why has not signed with an NHL team before.

When I hear things like that it really bugs me a lot, and I have a hard time believing Lou would sign a guy like that. If he doesn't get a spot on the big team he's going back to Europe. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is....

..then f*** him!!!

..then f*** him!!!

Great sign, seems to me like he's somewhere in the mid-skill range of Pelley and Madden (and that might just be enough to get him to play).. I say its a definite he will play if the Devs don't re-sign Jim Dowd since that would open up a huge 2nd line PK position.

So the Devils are going to have an untested player from overseas and a second-year player who wasn't very impressive last year centering the third and fourth lines? More likely this guy's here to give the team a better option at fourth-line center than Pelley and perhaps replace Madden in another year or two.

Madden's cap cost is around $2.8 million, it isn't as prohibitive as it's being made out to be especially with the rising cap. Until the playoffs Madden was the best checking center in the league again, what he needs is a physical presence on his right side, not to be replaced.

Edited by Hasan4978

trading john madden is silliness. you will not see this happen. rod pelley nor jari viuhkola are not replacements for madden. there's no reasonable replacement on the FA market either.

wouldn't be surprised if this guy comes over and doesn't hit it big and returns home - looking at him as a long-term solution for anything isn't good. plus he's UFA in a year or two.

So the Devils are going to have an untested player from overseas and a second-year player who wasn't very impressive last year centering the third and fourth lines? More likely this guy's here to give the team a better option at fourth-line center than Pelley and perhaps replace Madden in another year or two.

Madden's cap cost is around $2.8 million, it isn't as prohibitive as it's being made out to be especially with the rising cap. Until the playoffs Madden was the best checking center in the league again, what he needs is a physical presence on his right side, not to be replaced.

Edited by Derek21

The Devils have to free up salary somewhere and starting with an older Madden makes sense. You can say whatever you want about him being a valuable team player which he is. But the harsh reality is that the Devils need to start saving money somewhere and by bringing in this player and giving him a one-way deal and also grooming Pelley in some games last year, the Devils are preparing for the future without their checking center sooner rather than later.

The Devils have to free up salary somewhere and starting with an older Madden makes sense. You can say whatever you want about him being a valuable team player which he is. But the harsh reality is that the Devils need to start saving money somewhere and by bringing in this player and giving him a one-way deal and also grooming Pelley in some games last year, the Devils are preparing for the future without their checking center sooner rather than later.

And btw...Madden was still a solid checking center. But that honor goes to Sami Pahlsson. Heck. If we're going to talk about effective two-way centers, you got to put Mike Fisher in there as well. He's always been overlooked.

If they unload his contract, they'll still have Pandolfo and Clarkson who most seem to love. Also, don't forget they picked up Brylin as well and his contract is more affordable.

I believe Lou will look to trade Madden because he's planning to either ante up and re-sign Gomez or find a suitable replacement.

Edited by Triumph

The Devils need to start saving money? You mean the 15 million they will have in available cap space isn't enough - they need to throw away their effective checking center on a total prayer? The checking line center as important as the 1st line center to this team - the Devils aren't going to replace Madden with Pelley, not this year at least. Madden was overused and it showed - with a better fourth line (thanks to Viuhkola, possibly) and more trust for the 2nd line, these guys should be kept fresh.

The Devils aren't going to sign Scott Gomez, and I don't think they sign a 'suitable replacement' either. They do have some decisions to make, but skimping on 1st line center and keeping cap flexibility seems far smarter than locking up some player who's never played a game for the Devils for 5 seasons. This strategy backfired with Mogilny and Malakhov - Lou chose flexibility over length and lost out on everyone.

Edited by Derek21