Bettman mentions returning to Winnipeg

Derek21

what I don't get is why people yearn for the days where there was a team in Winnipeg. Big deal - so there was a Winnipeg franchise in NHL94, I like Evgeny Davydov too - but the team was there 15 years and won squat. They will be operating under much more rigorous financial constraints now - why do we want this? Because 'the people of Winnipeg deserve it'? Look, it sucks that their team moved - but the real mistake was giving them an NHL franchise to begin with.
Edited by '7'

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No where Rowdy. But it wouldn't even be a topic if the commish didn't talk about it.

That's why it's being discussed.

I'm in agreement with 7'. Florida and Phoenix should be relocated.

Some areas are just better for hockey. Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere. Yet we never hear anyone putting them down about how they shouldn't have a team.

It would be nice to see Canada get another team again.

we did before the lockout which you guys think was a waste of time

and star players still don't want to play there (chris pronger?), so who knows how viable edmonton is

we did before the lockout which you guys think was a waste of time

and star players still don't want to play there (chris pronger?), so who knows how viable edmonton is

Your words. Not mine. The only good thing to come out of the lockout was the new system. A system which hasn't prevented the same fiscal irresponsibilities from taking place. They lost a lot in the process and there's been no proof that it will stablize. Hence the whole Pens fiasco and now the Preds in limbo. I read a quote from Bettman the other day that was just mindboggling about the Nashville situation. If I could find it, I'd post.

If Canada was going to get another team would Winnipeg really be the first choice? Quebec would probably be more viable from what little I know, I remember them having a pretty good fanbase despite having to compete with the Habs.

Don and annabelle could probably answer the question better than me though, as to what city in Canada should be first in the pecking order. Sounds like Hamilton would be the first choice except for the whole Toronto territorial rights thing.

Moving any southern fried team to KC would be rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. The object is to get away from the south.

Hartford would be a better choice than Houston or Portland. Seattle too perhaps.

Edited by '7'

Moving any southern fried team to KC would be rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic. The object is to get away from the south.

Hartford would be a better choice than Houston or Portland. Seattle too perhaps.

If you were moving into a hockey market, would you rather do this:

-Go to a place where there already are hockey fans, already are good local TV numbers, where once football is over, the only competition is baseball's answer to the Chicago Blackhawks, it's a blue collar town that would embrace these guys...and oh yeah, you're paying NO RENT WHATSOEVER.

Or...

-Go to a market like Hartford, that failed before, deal with competition from 4 other teams (BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ) in the area, plus minor league hockey in an already crowded sports area.

Or...

-Go to Houston or Portland and build from no or little (okay, the WHL and the old-school Aeros count) hockey tradition, somewhat of a rivalry to develop (HOU-DAL or POR-VAN) but really still, an uphill climb with the basketball team getting the better of the dates in the arena and media attention.

Kansas City is such a no brainer, there are easily the least obstacles for launching a team.

what I don't get is why people yearn for the days where there was a team in Winnipeg. Big deal - so there was a Winnipeg franchise in NHL94, I like Evgeny Davydov too - but the team was there 15 years and won squat. They will be operating under much more rigorous financial constraints now - why do we want this? Because 'the people of Winnipeg deserve it'? Look, it sucks that their team moved - but the real mistake was giving them an NHL franchise to begin with.

Some areas are just better for hockey. Edmonton is in the middle of nowhere. Yet we never hear anyone putting them down about how they shouldn't have a team.

It would be nice to see Canada get another team again.

Edited by annabelle

A girl at worr tonight got in trouble for not having the hockey game on in the clients lounge in her wing from the supervisor..He said she was "depriving them of Candian culture..." I on the other hand wasn;'t in trouble at all...because not only did I have it on in the lounge in my area but I also had the game on in every single room as I moved from one to the other...lol

Edited by annabelle

If you were moving into a hockey market, would you rather do this:

-Go to a place where there already are hockey fans, already are good local TV numbers, where once football is over, the only competition is baseball's answer to the Chicago Blackhawks, it's a blue collar town that would embrace these guys...and oh yeah, you're paying NO RENT WHATSOEVER.

Or...

-Go to a market like Hartford, that failed before, deal with competition from 4 other teams (BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ) in the area, plus minor league hockey in an already crowded sports area.

Or...

-Go to Houston or Portland and build from no or little (okay, the WHL and the old-school Aeros count) hockey tradition, somewhat of a rivalry to develop (HOU-DAL or POR-VAN) but really still, an uphill climb with the basketball team getting the better of the dates in the arena and media attention.

Kansas City is such a no brainer, there are easily the least obstacles for launching a team.

Edited by '7'

Don't know where exactly to put this, but it was on the news this morning.

Jim Balisle has entered into a contract with Copps Coliseaum stating that nobody but Jim may use Copps for an NHL franchise. Why would Jim pay for such a concession if he had no plans? Food for thought.

So it looks like if the Predators are moving somewhere, it won't be Winnipeg.

Edited by Don

The Copps Coliseum will probably just be a temporary home for the Preds until the Kitchener-Waterloo Arena is ready.

Winnipeg shouldn't give up though, they may get there chance at Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix, or Carolina. We can only hope Nashville is the first domino.

One minor problem...like Nashville, there is no demand for hockey in KC, and no hockey fans in that neck of the woods. This is going to be another place where you have to tell people they want hockey, show them why it's so great, educate them, drop ticket prices to get farmer john into the building. It's a huge endeavor.

right - just ignore the fact that KC has the highest ratings for hockey of any city that lacks an NHL team.

It amuses me to no end that ^7^ really thinks Winnipeg can support a team better than any of the cities mentioned.

Edited by Triumph