Speaking of baseball...

NJDevs4978

...I shudder to think how psycho this board would get with the Devils if they ever had a stretch like the Mets are having now (4-14 in their last 18 and looking totally flat and uninterested at times), or the Yankees early in the season for that matter. God forbid, when we go 14-4 it isn't good enough at times :P

Any other Met fans getting concerned though? This is beyond a slump, a slump is 8-11 not 4-14 and getting your butt whipped in every other game. Even with the injuries this team has more talent than that.

Edited by Hasan4978

This is beyond a slump though, 4-14 is a meltdown. Yes they're playing good teams, yes they have 'some' injuries - the Alou one has hurt in particular because of the team's record against lefties which was great when he was in there and lousy since (not to mention the end of last year).

Still this team's got too much talent to flounder around like this, something's fundamentally wrong - especially when you see people sulking, not hustling at all, making silly mental mistakes, not being accountable after the game - seems as if Wright, LoDuca, Glavine and Wagner are the only ones that talk to reporters after losses.

Delgado - I'm sorry nice guy but he's gotta start earning his frigging paycheck. It's not just the .225 average and looking like a bum against the Yankees on Friday and pretty much for most of the season, it's the fact that he doesn't hustle - whether it's not running out a ball in Florida he got thrown out at second on or the fact that he didn't dive for a stoppable ball in LA, among other instances. Plus it's funny he didn't say anything at all after Friday's game but he was chirpy as a bird after Monday's.

Beltran - He's basically a china doll. Great talent but the minute he gets dinged up he's useless. He's batted .200 since May when this quad thing became an issue. I know the team's got no outfield now but Beltran isn't helping the team at all, management's got to DL him already.

Alou - Is this guy secretly in a coma somewhere? I mean geez first it was supposed to be day-to-day now it's week-to-week, what's next month-to-month?

Willie - Broke up the lineup order from last year trying to make LoDuca a run producer which he's not. Has way too much faith in Franco who hasn't done much since the beginning of LAST year and Mota who looks like a product of the juice. He tries to use Schoenwies as a two-inning pitcher and he's only shown the ability to pitch against lefties (when he throws strikes which isn't often).

Even more than all that though, all of Willie's defenders including me have said the team respects him and plays hard for him - well I haven't seen that in weeks nor do I really see anyone get taken to task for lack of hustling or dumb mental mistakes. You can argue he does that behind the scenes but if he is doing that it hasn't helped. Which doesn't bode well for the respect factor.

Down - I thought he got a raw deal with the Yankees but now I can see why they dumped him. This team does not work any counts or take pitches anymore, other than Reyes. And lately they can't score many runs if the running game isn't a factor.

Edited by Hasan4978

Yeah. The Mets have problems. But they're still in first because the two teams behind them aren't good enough to take advantage. They should still be good enough to win that division.

Delgado should come around. But defensively, he sucks.

I think the Mets' biggest problem is their pen. It's much more susceptible than last year.

The pen's definitely been a big problem - Burgos's injury in the minors and Sanchez's re-injury didn't help either (god only knows if he's ever coming back). At least they can put Sosa in the pen when Pedro comes back, or maybe sooner if Dave Williams can actually contribute the way he did last year and Sosa continues to slide; Williams is due back by the end of the month.

I'm surprised all the attention the starting rotation has been getting though, to me it's been fine. Perez and Maine have turned from question marks to the two best pitchers on the staff. If Duque's upright he'll be fine and I still think Glavine will be okay, especially now that he's going back to facing NL lineups after this week :P

Did the all-star game happen already? The ama "Second half slump" zins

What you haven't heard all the 'Vote for LoDuca' advertisements at Shea and on SNY? :koolaid::doh1:

Last year's team was one of my favorites ever, this year's team disgusts me. The Philly series sent them into a death sprial and it was just more of the same bs tonight - Beltran not running on a fly ball with two outs, Perez not covering first on a DP ball, Ledee giving up on a catchable ball that went over his head, not being able to hit pitchers the rest of baseball kicks the crap out of, the entire team packing it in with giveaway at-bats when it got to 6-2 :argh:

Edited by Hasan4978

Should've kept Bradford and stayed away from Schoeneweis, he is awful. Looking at his career stats, he's never been good. What did Omar see in him.

Also should've kept Floyd. Better a 34 year old oft injured left field than a 41 year old oft injured left fielder. Seriously, was there nothing better than Alou?

If they'd kept Bradford they never would have brought Smith up and they would probably have brought in some other garbage lefty anyway. Besides Bradford's been terrible this year. Most bullpen guys really are hit or miss year to year. Oliver's been bad for the Angels too but the Mets miss having a guy like him, he alone won five or six games keeping the team in games that they eventually came back in. Sele's already ended about that many games, he stinks.

Alou was just a neccesary stopgap, it made no sense to tie in big years and dollars to a second outfielder (besides Beltran) when you have a ton of up-and-comers in the minor leagues a year or two away.

Everyone knew Alou was going to miss time but nobody could have possibly forseen the rest of the OF all getting hurt - Green going on the DL for the first time, Milledge being out for half the year, Chavez being out for two months, even Beltran who hasn't been the same player since hurting his quad though he finally had a good offensive night last night.

They definitely miss Floyd in the locker room more than anyone thought but I'd still take Alou over him because the team needed to balance out the lineup in the worst way (i.e. replace a lefty bat with a righty bat). Just look at this team's record against lefties late last year and since Alou got hurt this year - and they had a good record against lefties when Alou was there.

• 3 weeks later...

And as the groundskeepers of Major League 2 say, 'They're s-itty again' :P

Getting pimp-slapped in Colorado even worse than the Yankees did and now getting shut down by some dude with a 4.5 ERA in Houston. Thank goodness the rest of this division sucks but the Mets better not fool around here, some team from the West's probably going to win the Wild Card.

I'm glad at least Willie's taken a stand on the team's not hustling, Reyes has been pulled twice in a week for not running balls out :o