It's official: Soccer is more popular than hockey

RowdyFan42

Yep. I hate to say it, but hockey was at it's peak popularity-wise after the Rangers won the Cup. SI even did a feature on why hockey was becoming more popular than the NBA. And then Bettman killed any and all momentum with that stupid fvcking lock-out. And the rest is history. One lousy TV deal, three re-located franchises, and two work-stoppages later here we are. It boggles my mind as to how anyone can think Bettman hasn't done anything but destroy the sport in this country.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody said they were Tri. They only did what they could under what was a bad old agreement. And the last time I checked, it was Bettman who locked them out the first time and hurt his own sport. Then they agreed to that CBA which proved detrimental.

Because hockey fans are insecure and unable to accept the harsh reality that hockey is a niche sport in the US. Hockey is my favorite sport and I love it to death, but I'm past all this bitching and whining about it's popularity. I love it and I'm done caring if other people do. Their loss.

Nobody said they were Tri. They only did what they could under what was a bad old agreement. And the last time I checked, it was Bettman who locked them out the first time and hurt his own sport. Then they agreed to that CBA which proved detrimental.

yes, bettman HIMSELF locked them out. the players wanted oh so badly to play, but Gary said no!

Then Bettman himself recommended the deal the owners eventually ended up signing - because it was such a wonderful deal!

The players had all the leverage in that spot and used it to their advantage. They reaped the rewards by sitting out all of 2004-05 as a result.

Golf isn't even a sport as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really follow soccer but I like watching it. I loved the World Cup, I kind of wish it would take place more often.

When I was in marching band in high school we got to go onto the field and play God Bless America at the start of a Metrostars game, and then we got changed in the Jets old locker room, the same one used when Namath was on the team, and then we watched the game. It was pretty cool.

He was the guy in charge both instances and batted .500. Maybe if the original system didn't turn out to be so bad, the second instance which cost a whole season wouldn't have been needed.

And you can't argue that losing that entire year didn't hurt big time. It did.

The fact is that as MD pointed out earlier, the game was at a high and could've taken advantage of no NBA and maybe even leaped ahead of it. But instead, they locked them out. What resulted resulted.

Now, they have their cap and we're finding out some interesting things already.

Golf isn't even a sport as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really follow soccer but I like watching it. I loved the World Cup, I kind of wish it would take place more often.

When I was in marching band in high school we got to go onto the field and play God Bless America at the start of a Metrostars game, and then we got changed in the Jets old locker room, the same one used when Namath was on the team, and then we watched the game. It was pretty cool.

It's Bettman's league, and he allowed the mess that has ensued happen on his watch. Bottom line. He's supposed to be the fvcking caretaker of the sport. It's his job to do what's in the best interest of the game. I'm not saying the union is any way a group of angels or innocent bystandards here. But to me, this is not grey. Gary Bettman is a fvcking idiot who has no idea how to market the sport or it's players, and he has allowed TWO work stoppages- one of which wiped out an entire season- to take place in a 12 year span. Name me another sport where that's happened. This sport is where it is because Gary Bettman allowed it to get there. Period. End of story.
Edited by Triumph

I've played golf since I was 13- it's a sport. It just hapenes to be more mentally challenging than physically. It's a lot harder than it looks- trust me on that. Just because old people can play doesn't mean it 'aint hard or isn't a sport. I played hockey for 10 years, and I'm a MUCH better hockey player than I could ever hope to be at golf.

Take that, Stanley

Gold Cup TV ratings 41 percent higher than NHL final

Posted: Tuesday June 26, 2007 3:02PM; Updated: Tuesday June 26, 2007 3:02PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the Stanley Cup finals clincher -- and that was just for the soccer game's Spanish-language telecast.

I completely agree that it is mentally challenging and very difficult, but so are chess matches and sudoku puzzles. Those aren't sports. I went golfing a couple years ago with two of my friends on the high school golf team and I have never felt so incompetent. I had a lot more respect for them since that day, however I still don't consider golf a sport simply because there is no way for you to prevent your opponents from succeeding.

yes, bettman HIMSELF locked them out. the players wanted oh so badly to play, but Gary said no!

Then Bettman himself recommended the deal the owners eventually ended up signing - because it was such a wonderful deal!

The players had all the leverage in that spot and used it to their advantage. They reaped the rewards by sitting out all of 2004-05 as a result.

Edited by IceThief

Why do we need to put down people and other sports to feel good about hockey? I truly believe if they dressed up hockey and promoted the hell out of it. it would still be the 4th popular sport in America ... nothing will change that get over it ... and enjoy it

Others have mentioned this earlier, but like me cut to the chase --

If the Stanley Cup Finals next year are Pittsburgh and Chicago, the ratings are through the roof. Same for the Rangers/Buffalo/Boston/Philly vs. Detroit. This league hasn't had two glamour franchises make the Cup Finals since...what...Philly and the Wings?

The NHL needs another 1994-like moment more than it needed "cost certainty" and free agency at 26 years old.

<JESTER>

The NHL needs another 1994-like moment more than it needed "cost certainty" and free agency at 26 years old.

True dat. As much as we all loathe the Rangers and their ascent to the Cup in '94 (especially considering the path to the Cup went through New Jersey), there is not another time in recent memory when the NHL was as hot as it was then. The NHL was poised to take over the #3 slot from the NBA, and then the bottom fell out. The league needs a major American city -- preferably two -- to play for the Cup before the outside world will notice hockey again. (Sorry, guys, but the only way the Devils come close to counting is if they changed their name to the New York Devils... and even then it's a crapshoot.)

Edited by RowdyFan42

True dat. As much as we all loathe the Rangers and their ascent to the Cup in '94 (especially considering the path to the Cup went through New Jersey), there is not another time in recent memory when the NHL was as hot as it was then. The NHL was poised to take over the #3 slot from the NBA, and then the bottom fell out. The league needs a major American city -- preferably two -- to play for the Cup before the outside world will notice hockey again. (Sorry, guys, but the only way the Devils come close to counting is if they changed their name to the New York Devils... and even then it's a crapshoot.)
Edited by Triumph