The Official UFA Breaking News Thread

Devilsdude530

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost have to feel bad for Montreal. The city eats/sleeps/breathes hockey AND FOR THAT REASON, people don't want to sign there. People just hate being under that kind of microscope 24 hours/day. They put a reasonable offer on the table for Briere, and even a francophone (who you would think would feel more at home there) won't sign.

Also there is the Quebec provincial taxes thing.....

Almost have to feel bad for Montreal. The city eats/sleeps/breathes hockey AND FOR THAT REASON, people don't want to sign there. People just hate being under that kind of microscope 24 hours/day. They put a reasonable offer on the table for Briere, and even a francophone (who you would think would feel more at home there) won't sign.

Also there is the Quebec provincial taxes thing.....

eight years is a big mistake for briere - his kind of player sometimes does not age well at all. if he loses a step it's trouble for philadelphia, but then again by the time this comes back to bite them in the ass, they can easily buy him out.

The Philadelphia Flyers made a big splash to kick off the offseason, signing centre Daniel Briere to an eight-year contract worth $52 million. The deal will average $6.5 million a season against the salary cap, with the first year paying him $10 million. The contract also features a no movement clause.

WHAT??????10MILLIONS THE FIRST YEAR?

Wtf?

I think the Briere sweepstakes probably came down the Philly and Habs, the fans are going to be fuming up there in Montreal. They wanted Briere badly.

I guess that also means Philly won't be taking a chance on Forsberg.

woah, Briere is actually older than I thought he is. He's going to be 30 in October, I thought he was 27-28.

He's had injury problems, and he's only had 1/2 huge seasons...big risk they're taking. Briere better be a great player and not just a good player for that kind of money.

Edited by '7'