Gomez Interviewed After Signing With Rangers

puckrock

Believe what you want.

Gomer sounds more and more like a babbling idiot when he speaks to the media. He was always vocal to the media while with New Jersey and that's something Louie Lams could not really put up with (other than his exorbitant salary demands).

Now, here's the interesting thing...with Raffy and Gomer gone, how big is Elias' re-signing last year? He must be thinking to himself..."Hmmm, the Devils must have really liked me..."

We're in for a long season, especially if Elias reproduces the effort he did last year...

Gomer sounds more and more like a babbling idiot when he speaks to the media. He was always vocal to the media while with New Jersey and that's something Louie Lams could not really put up with (other than his exorbitant salary demands).

Now, here's the interesting thing...with Raffy and Gomer gone, how big is Elias' re-signing last year? He must be thinking to himself..."Hmmm, the Devils must have really liked me..."

We're in for a long season, especially if Elias reproduces the effort he did last year...

He did today but he was probably hung over he's been partying with Pandolfo and I think a few other people for two weeks straight now. And I'm sure after he got his contract he went out and partied too.

I think sandman proved to be right. If he chose LA, it would've been just about the money. sandman said in his thread that Gomez wanted to still go to a contender and get paid top dollar. In the end, that's what he got. I also am of the belief that having his gf here and playing on the biggest stage was very appealing.

I think sandman proved to be right. If he chose LA, it would've been just about the money. sandman said in his thread that Gomez wanted to still go to a contender and get paid top dollar. In the end, that's what he got. I also am of the belief that having his gf here and playing on the biggest stage was very appealing.

sickman, agree 100%

the biggest stage is montreal or toronto...

when they win a few games the rangers are just flavor of the month in a town that usually could give a fvck about hockey.

you can't blame him on taking the money...but him signing with the rangers is just a big F-U to the organization.

The words in bold have really been giving me a chuckle the last few days. Well check that. Years is probably better but whatever. If I only had a dollar for every time I heard that line of crap being spewed, I'd be making more money then Gomez right now.

Biggest stage? According to who? The blow hards from New York who think it's some divine honor to suit up for a New York team. Please, it's a damn joke. Ever heard of a couple towns named Toronto and Montreal? Those are "big stages"Thats where hockey means something, not here. Don't let 94 fool you. Yeah you can say the media is tough here but when you think about it, thats a joke as well when you consider the idiots who cover the sport in this city.

Maybe in other sports playing for New York is something special but hockey is a joke in this city and you should know that better then anyone. Just take a look at the back of the papers today. That Yankee slide is really riveting news these days isn't it? Still making the back pages and it's only been going on for what, 3 months now? No disrespect to Yankee fans but if hockey meant something on this "grand stage" it would have been the lead story every where.

I've lived in New York for my entire life and I would say that out of every 100 people you would be lucky if you met 6 or 7 people who actually knew what they were talking about when it came to hockey.

I don't give a sh*t what Gomez says. There is no damn stage. He could wipe his ass with that nonsense. He just took the most money and ran with it. I don't believe for one second that there wasn't a little bit of a F-you Lou in his mind when he made his decision. There are plenty of stupid G.M.'s in this league, not just Sather. I'm pretty sure somebody else would have over payed the lazy bum. He chose to go to the Devils biggest rival and if you ask me, he pretty much had his middle finger in the air while doing it. I guess we wont be the "best fans" in the league any more. Douche bag.

All I know is this. I helped pay that bastards salary over the last 8 years so yeah, I'm a little pissed. It's the Rangers fans turn now. Let's see how you guys feel when you pay him $750,000 for each time he back checks next season.

New POD :boogie:

Hey Derek..There's Montreal..Toronto...Who are big stages in the Nhl..They are having a great history, and."There's a lot of pressure there, i can assure that...Living near Montreal..

I wonder why didn't chose Montreal..Maybe it was $?

:puke:

The words in bold have really been giving me a chuckle the last few days. Well check that. Years is probably better but whatever. If I only had a dollar for every time I heard that line of crap being spewed, I'd be making more money then Gomez right now.

You're right. It's a bunch of crap. Who wants to go play in Manhattan anyway? There's absolutely no appeal. Should I start rattling off names? It would be a wasted exercise.

Biggest stage? According to who? The blow hards from New York who think it's some divine honor to suit up for a New York team. Please, it's a damn joke. Ever heard of a couple towns named Toronto and Montreal? Those are "big stages"Thats where hockey means something, not here. Don't let 94 fool you. Yeah you can say the media is tough here but when you think about it, thats a joke as well when you consider the idiots who cover the sport in this city.

Save the generalizations. It's not fair to label an entire city because you can't take the fact your player enjoyed playing games at Madison Square Garden and didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to your aging checking line which couldn't get it done in the playoffs. I was told two months ago that was an actual reason he never was coming back. Because of the stubborness of your GM who chooses to live in a fantasy world. Maybe he needs to get with the times and stop holding onto the past because the game has changed. I hope that hits home.

And yes. They're all 'idiots' who cover the game. Another great statement there.

Maybe in other sports playing for New York is something special but hockey is a joke in this city and you should know that better then anyone. Just take a look at the back of the papers today. That Yankee slide is really riveting news these days isn't it? Still making the back pages and it's only been going on for what, 3 months now? No disrespect to Yankee fans but if hockey meant something on this "grand stage" it would have been the lead story every where.

The one thing we agree on is that hockey will never get the respect it once had. That's why every time I read about KC, Portland and whatever other potential cities as possible new franchise destinations, I laugh. Because they can expand the game all they want. But they can't force it down people's throats and expect it to be more popular in America and generate better ratings. It's not even about that anyway. It's about more revenue going into owner's pockets. Greed.

Here's a newsflash for you. Unless a team here is on top, it can't compete with other sports. But you act like that's some kind of huge upset that baseball and basketball and football are much bigger. That's just how it is. Learn to accept it.

I've lived in New York for my entire life and I would say that out of every 100 people you would be lucky if you met 6 or 7 people who actually knew what they were talking about when it came to hockey.

Yet another generalization. You're on a roll.

I don't give a sh*t what Gomez says. There is no damn stage. He could wipe his ass with that nonsense. He just took the most money and ran with it. I don't believe for one second that there wasn't a little bit of a F-you Lou in his mind when he made his decision. There are plenty of stupid G.M.'s in this league, not just Sather. I'm pretty sure somebody else would have over payed the lazy bum. He chose to go to the Devils biggest rival and if you ask me, he pretty much had his middle finger in the air while doing it. I guess we wont be the "best fans" in the league any more. Douche bag.

I don't blame you for being angry at Gomez. But how can anyone actually be shocked that a player with his personality wanted New York? Unlike Holik, who held a personal grudge against Lou after that ugly arbitration hearing, Gomez didn't have that reason for crossing the Hudson. You can call him whatever you want. It's not going to change anything.

All I know is this. I helped pay that bastards salary over the last 8 years so yeah, I'm a little pissed. It's the Rangers fans turn now. Let's see how you guys feel when you pay him $750,000 for each time he back checks next season.

You can view it that way but you're leaving out one important part. That guy who your GM stole late in the first round was an integral part of two of your team's three Stanley Cups. And you helped pay that bum. Your words.

If you want my take on it, I'm skeptical because of the length and don't agree with the average salary either. He's also an ex-Devil. I don't have any fond memories of how the last acquisition worked out. I will just wait and see. The same as Drury who also was overpaid.

edit: Gomez was a homegrown player and that probably makes it hurt more. I can tell you that when I heard about the deals, I was surprised. But here's something that you probably didn't know. Jed Ortmeyer was my favorite Ranger. When I found out he wasn't coming back, I was upset. And when I saw that he signed with Nashville yesterday, I had more of a reaction to that than either big signing my team made. Because Ort was all heart and I'll miss the way he played here. He wasn't even drafted but he became a fan favorite. Those types mean more than bringing in stars from other teams.

There's one aspect that you and Travis Zajac overlooked in my initial reply. That he had a gf here. So when you go and cite Montreal and Toronto as examples of grand stages, it might apply in terms of that stuff because NY can't compete with how popular the game is up north. But it's not the same as having your longtime girlfriend in the metropolitan area. Gomez doesn't even have to relocate. But you ignored that initial reasoning in my original post. Why? Because you're angry. I can't say I blame anyone for being mad. If the situation were reversed, I'd probably be pretty upset too. But in the end, it was his decision. He doesn't owe anyone anything. That's the harsh reality of unrestricted free agency. It gives the player the option to go whereever they want.

This will be my final post about this particular situation for this reason. Because it's far too personal.

Edited by Derek21

You can view it that way but you're leaving out one important part. That guy who your GM stole late in the first round was an integral part of two of your team's three Stanley Cups. And you helped pay that bum. Your words.

If you want my take on it, I'm skeptical because of the length and don't agree with the average salary either. He's also an ex-Devil. I don't have any fond memories of how the last acquisition worked out. I will just wait and see. The same as Drury who also was overpaid.

edit: Gomez was a homegrown player and that probably makes it hurt more. I can tell you that when I heard about the deals, I was surprised. But here's something that you probably didn't know. Jed Ortmeyer was my favorite Ranger. When I found out he wasn't coming back, I was upset. And when I saw that he signed with Nashville yesterday, I had more of a reaction to that than either big signing my team made. Because Ort was all heart and I'll miss the way he played here. He wasn't even drafted but he became a fan favorite. Those types mean more than bringing in stars from other teams.

There's one aspect that you and Travis Zajac overlooked in my initial reply. That he had a gf here. So when you go and cite Montreal and Toronto as examples of grand stages, it might apply in terms of that stuff because NY can't compete with how popular the game is up north. But it's not the same as having your longtime girlfriend in the metropolitan area. Gomez doesn't even have to relocate. But you ignored that initial reasoning in my original post. Why? Because you're angry. I can't say I blame anyone for being mad. If the situation were reversed, I'd probably be pretty upset too. But in the end, it was his decision. He doesn't owe anyone anything. That's the harsh reality of unrestricted free agency. It gives the player the option to go whereever they want.

This will be my final post about this particular situation for this reason. Because it's far too personal.

Derek, it's not personal towards you or any other Ranger fan with half a brain. You guys follow your team just the way us Devils fans do. I just can't stand the way the team you root for operates. I think they are a smug organization that thinks their sh*t doesn't stink just because they play in a famous city and feel that the world is owed to them.

As far as Lou goes, you are dead wrong. I will be the first to admit that he has made a few spotty decisions over the last couple of years but don't tell that to your boy Sather because he really does seem to enjoy picking up Lou's table scraps. When your Rangers win as consistently as the Devils have over the last 20 years then you can call Lou to task. The Rangers have won one Cup in 67 years, and don't forget that Lou's approach came very close to stealing that away from you guys. If I was a betting man I'd say that Lou's way works.

As far as the media "generalization" maybe I was wrong to say it the way I did, but it's obvious why this would upset you. I have read plenty of your articles and I know there are a few on this board who cover the sport one way or another in the area. If you took offense to that, then I understand where you are coming from. But my comment was directed at the types like Mike and the Mad Dog and the tools that cover the sport in the papers like (N)Єverson. Not you.

Was Gomez a big part of the last two cups. You bet. But it's a two way street as well. I'm sure being surrounded by hall of fame players his entire career helped Gomez a great deal in becoming the player that Sather thinks he is. As far as his girlfriend is concerned, maybe she played a roll in the decision. But I'm pretty sure if they are for each other that much she probably would have moved with the guy if he wanted to leave.

Look, Ranger and Devil fans will never see eye to eye on things so I don't expect you to agree with what I have to say. Like I said in another post, I'm glad that Gomez is gone cause he didn't want to be here anyways. He dragged a$$ like no other and now the Rangers will be the ones who reward him for his piss poor efforts.