LiveEarth

thelastonealive

I just got home now (I got to the show around 11:45).

I will tell you all everything tomorrow, promise.

A little hint...I wasn't as up on The Po-lice as the rest of you. Well, the whole Sting sounding awful part...the rest of it sounded fantastic.

What section were you guarding? I was looking for you briefly, but unless your nametag read "Devilsdude530" I probably wouldn't have found you anyways.

Sting did sound a bit like an alien when he spoke between songs but I assumed he always sounded that way.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have to ask this, I know it would probably be more appropriate in the poloitics section, but right now I am completely with CD#9....what is the fvcking point of this all?

I read the website, I read the wikipedia pages, and associated pages....where is the all the money from this going.

Wikipedia said "some" of the profits will be donated to Al Gore's pet project the "Alliance for Climate Projection"....unfortunately, the wikipedia page on them is disconcertingly vague....wtf do they do?

While I applaud thia all for trying to raise awareness of climate issues and trying to get peopkle to be responsible for their OWN impact on the world's resources....I get the distinct feelings of "preaching to the choir" and "falling on deaf ears".

OK, I have to ask this, I know it would probably be more appropriate in the poloitics section, but right now I am completely with CD#9....what is the fvcking point of this all?

I read the website, I read the wikipedia pages, and associated pages....where is the all the money from this going.

Wikipedia said "some" of the profits will be donated to Al Gore's pet project the "Alliance for Climate Projection"....unfortunately, the wikipedia page on them is disconcertingly vague....wtf do they do?

While I applaud thia all for trying to raise awareness of climate issues and trying to get peopkle to be responsible for their OWN impact on the world's resources....I get the distinct feelings of "preaching to the choir" and "falling on deaf ears".

I think it's pretty safe to say we all really know where the money is going for this. Al Gore and whoever else that founded it are getting all the money. No one is going to this event thinking about global warming, they are going to see a bunch of artists for high ticket prices.

Okay, now that the concert is over, someone can move this into politics....

Well, if that is the case, perhaps the environmental movement should just pack up and go home. Whenever an environmental group tries to reach out and be more accessible, whenever they try something new to spread their message, this is the typical cry out to condemn it.

It was the exact same thing with Live 8 last year... why bother having a concert when these people are going to listen to the music, go home and ignore the issue? Whenever ANYBODY tries ANYTHING to get the message out about poverty, the environment, human rights, etc, they will be condemned for wasting their time and resources.

But it's not about converting everyone in a day. It's about getting people here and there to think about getting a hybrid instead of an SUV, to get people to demand that our governments do something - ANYTHING - to reduce CO2 emissions, to get government to put pressure on industry.

I wrote a LOT on the subject last night here:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=44694

I think I'll be easy to spot in the thread. :)

All the while govenrments such as the USA the Uk and China continue to ignore the climate change issue and F**k the world up for its people.

I addressed this in the CP thread, but just to re-iterate for those that don't want to read that whole thing - why in the world would the governments of the USA, UK, etc change anything unless the electorate DEMANDS that change? And why would the electorate demand that change if it's not important to them? And why would the issue be important to them if someone doesn't try to reach out and inform them of the issue?

Edited by Don

So here's the breakdown of the day:

-Kenna came out first and got everyone in the crowd dancing, and for someone we'd never heard of before, he was really enjoyable.

-KT Tunstall was next, and honest to God she was the big surprise of the day. Only 2 songs but she really captured the crowd in her hands and was very impressive.

-Taking Back Sunday's singer was barely audible, which really took the momentum out of their performance.

-Keith Urban wasn't bad, but it's not really my style of music.

-Ludacris was the first artist since Tunstall to really get the crowd into his set. He was really enjoying himself and his set was as tight as anyone elses.

-AFI had another one of those sets where the crowd just meandered around going "What the fvck is this?", until they finally busted out "Miss Murder" which wasn't bad, and a surprisingly good cover of "Ziggy Stardust". It wasn't their crowd and they kind of knew it, but they did the best with what they had.

-Fall Out Boy, for what people (including me) have said about them, we're extremely tight, and had most of the younger crowd going with them.

-I took my break during Akon.

-John Mayer had a decent set, and probably had the first song that had anything close to doing with the cause ("Waiting on the World to Change").

-Melissa Etheridge had the most poignant set of the night, with her song from An Inconvienient Truth. Al G. came out for a second time after she performed.

-Alicia Keys was up next, someone whom I've maybe heard one song of in my lifetime. She probably made a better impression on me than anyone in that whole show. She did a Rolling Stones cover that really had the crowd going.

-Dave Matthews Band came out, played "Don't Drink the Water" and jammed around it for about 10 minutes. They weren't bad, I can see why so many people love their live show.

-Kelly Clarkson was good. She has a great voice, but frankly, I'm getting a little tired of her, and the crowd didn't really respond till she got to "Since U Been Gone".

-Kanye had a solid performance, and probably made the most of the 20 minutes each artist had. He had a weird looking orchestra, in silver suits. Again, wasn't his crowd, but he tried real hard, and probably won over a few fans yesterday.

-About 75% of the crowd was there for Bon Jovi. They could've taken a sh!t on stage and gotten huge cheers. Other than "Wanted Dead or Alive", I was left largely annoyed with their arrogance and self-love.

-The Smashing Pumpkins were next. Er, Billy Corgan and some bastardized, 17-member version of the Pumpkins if you watched the videos. Anyway, there were only 4 of them here, and they sounded really good. "United States", 8 minutes long, is still a great new song. They were very good.

-Next was Roger Waters, whom I anticipated the most for that night and didn't disappoint me. I yelled at people who left during "Another Brick in the Wall". Probably the best act of the night.

-The Police came out and sounded really great, but Sting, he just was either horse, or didn't have the pipes. They jam like kings though, and Kanye West and John Mayer on "Message in a Bottle" was a great cap to the night.

Remember on MTV maybe around 2002ish, a music video done in claymation with a guy that kind of looked like a parking meter? His stomach opened up and was all psychadelic-like? That song was by Kenna, it was called Hell Bent. The youngsters might also remember it from Toonami:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owS1coeoWEc

Of course he didn't play it at LiveEarth, though I was hoping he would coz it was the only song I knew.

I was really impressed with Melissa Etheredge's set (song).

I'm pretty surprised you thought Fallout Boy were sounded tight. From where I was they sounded awful. Of course you were much closer than I was.

The Pumpkins were amazing. Bullet With Butterfly Wings is a friggin amazing song live. I'm going to have to see them on the arena tour in the fall, even if it means driving to Philly.

Edited by thelastonealive

I'm watching some more videos now. My god Taking Back Sunday was bad, not that I should be surprised since Adam is drunk at almost all of his shows which causes him to suck and forget the words.

He seriously looked more than just drunk. Either he was completely bombed or he was on some sort of dope, because, man, I've never seen him THAT bad before.

I've seen TBS in concert before, last May, and was actually surprised it was a good show. Usually he sounds horrible live, but he really was, well, coherent that night. I guess it was a one-time deal or something.

He seriously looked more than just drunk. Either he was completely bombed or he was on some sort of dope, because, man, I've never seen him THAT bad before.

I've seen TBS in concert before, last May, and was actually surprised it was a good show. Usually he sounds horrible live, but he really was, well, coherent that night. I guess it was a one-time deal or something.

Well he also is a cokehead. He probably laid off the booze and coke that night you saw them. I like them on cd but they are always so awful live because of him. I've seen them way too many times and he is always like that. I have also seen him a lot worse than that Live Earth show. He actually remembered most of the words this time, normally he forgets more than half and than just lets the crowd sing them.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Well he also is a cokehead. He probably laid off the booze and coke that night you saw them. I like them on cd but they are always so awful live because of him. I've seen them way too many times and he is always like that. I have also seen him a lot worse than that Live Earth show. He actually remembered most of the words this time, normally he forgets more than half and than just lets the crowd sing them.

Makes sense. I saw him at Nassau last May. I guess he laid off for one night to give the hometown crowd a good show.

I've heard them live a few times, he always sounded so bad so I've stayed away from them live.

Makes sense. I saw him at Nassau last May. I guess he laid off for one night to give the hometown crowd a good show.

I've heard them live a few times, he always sounded so bad so I've stayed away from them live.

Maybe the rest of the guys in the band said something. Their music is almost always tight, usually it's just him that sucks. I'd be pissed if I was in that band and he pulled that nonsense all the time. It makes them look awful.

Maybe the rest of the guys in the band said something. Their music is almost always tight, usually it's just him that sucks. I'd be pissed if I was in that band and he pulled that nonsense all the time. It makes them look awful.

Oh I def. agree. I was getting bummed watching what I watched of them on LiveEarth, everyone else in the band sounded tight, it made it even more awkward how he seemed high/drunk/dying of heat exhaustion...watching him exhale so heavily was really weird.

Am I the only one who is kinda amused at this whole how to green your car thing?

http://www.liveearth.msn.com/green/htgcar1

It's amusing to me since just yesterday they had what, 40 to 50 thousand cars drive to giants stadium to shell out money for expensive tickets for a concert that has huge video screen, speakers, and lights, and even more lights at night. That's a good way to save save energy and keep all those bad SUV's off the road.

Edited by Satans Hockey

What a non-event.

This didn't raise awareness. It was just some music with some hypocritical artists who talked a good game. Hell even the organizer has a HUGE carbon footprint.

When the science is anywhere near convincing people will act. Until then...............

Am I the only one who is kinda amused at this whole how to green your car thing?

http://www.liveearth.msn.com/green/htgcar1

It's amusing to me since just yesterday they had what, 40 to 50 thousand cars drive to giants stadium to shell out money for expensive tickets for a concert that has huge video screen, speakers, and lights, and even more lights at night. That's a good way to save save energy and keep all those bad SUV's off the road.

They made it an absolute BITCH to drive there. $20 to park, anyone who ordered tickets before June 4th had to park at a remote site and take a (biodiesel) bus to the actual site. They were really trying to inconvienance everyone into taking mass transit. Only problem is mass transit to the Meadowlands is just as big an inconvienance, so it didn't work.

I did notice that they never turned on the big Giants Stadium lights. All the lighting once it was dark came from the stage, which they had made a big deal about being biodiesel and solar powered. There was a legitimate attempt to keep everything clean. I understand the arguments about the carbon footprints of big shows like this and everything, and all the driving and everything. And yeah, 85% of the crowd was there to get stone and see Dave Matthews or Bon Jovi and probably won't change a single thing about their lives in the future, but maybe the 15% who maybe will change their lives and being a little more enviormentally conscious makes an event like this worth it.

What? Are you telling me that Ludacris doesn't care about the Earth when he is driving around in his pimped out Cadillac SUV? :rolleyes:

I'd actually be interested to know if he makes any changes, during one of the telecasts they had an interview with him and he admitted to not knowing much about enviormental impact and such until he was approached about the show. I'd like to see if someone who isn't nessicarily involved in the whole "scene" (for lack of a much better word) the way one sees say Dave Matthews or Melissa Etheridge involved will really change habits and such.