Clemmenson Signs With Toronto

msweet

Any story to why he is your favorite player?

At a DFC dinner during his rookie year, I ended up sitting at his table. It was the last year I was really a member of the fan club (it's a waste of time), but I did go to the dinner for the fun of it. I really liked everything he had to say, his outlook on the game and his place in hockey, all that fun stuff.

I don't go out of my way to meet players, but earlier this season I decided to try to meet him after a game because I thought it would be cool to get my Clemmensen jersey signed. I waited and waited...nothing. Seeing as he apparently is one of the first to leave from what I was told, I pretty much gave up. Started walking back to my car, passed the box office, and he walked out with a big group of people. He saw my Clemmensen jersey and said he'd sign it in a second, just wanted to talk to his family, who were in town to watch him play. Unfortunately, that weekend Claude gave Marty both games of the back-to-back, which sucked because Clemmy had flown all of his family out to hopefully see him play.

Anyways, while I waited patiently, Clemmensen's dad came over and said "so, you're a fan of my son, eh?" And I said yeah. He shook my hand, introduced himself and started a 15 minute conversation with me. Scott ended up coming over and his dad was like "Scott, meet your biggest fan!" Scott was practically blushing and he was in awe of my Clemmy jersey, he signed it and we took a picture, I told him that I loved him on the Devils but would root for him wherever he went because I really wanted to just see him play more. He said that that really was great to hear someone say to him, he said he wanted to play for the Devils and understood that, realistically, it was his only shot at a true NHL experience -- he cherished every moment of it, even if those moments were far and few between.

It was just really cool that he understood his place in the game and understood that he'll never be a superstar, or even a starting goalie at that. I'll always have a ton of respect for him and next to Terreri, he's my second favorite Devils goalie of all time. I wish him nothing but the best wherever he plays, and I will always be rooting for him.

I can't help but wonder if this would be a one way contract had Clemmensen won the shootout against the Isles :evil:

But seriously I'm pleasantly surprised he got a deal and maybe a decent chance to play some games in the NHL provided they find a taker for Raycroft.

cool story RD. I stopped joining the fan club when they stopped doing the dinners with the devils as well

What happened to Raycroft? Or was 03-04 just a fluke?

I thought he had a decent season last year considering the leafs weren't that great. His stats weren't too bad...

72 games played 37-25-9 record 2.99 GAA 1726 saves and a .894 save percentage

I think he could do good on a better team, I'm sure someone will take a chance on him. Maybe the Kings?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212948&hubname=nhl

TSN.ca Staff

7/6/2007 5:47:19 PM

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Friday that the club has signed goaltender Scott Clemmensen to a one-year contract.

''Scott is an experienced professional goaltender, who will provide depth in the organization at that position,'' vice-president and general manager John Ferguson said.

Clemmensen, 29, played six games for the New Jersey Devils this past season registering a 1-1-2 record and a 3.15 goalsagainst average. He also played one game and had a shutout for the American Hockey League's Lowell Devils.

The Des Moines, Iowa native has played in 25 career NHL games, all with New Jersey, registering a 7-6-4 record with a 2.82 goals against average. He was originally New Jersey's seventh choice, 215th overall, in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.

Clemmensen has also competed in 146 career AHL games with Albany and Lowell, earning a record of 36-81-21, a .903 save percentage, a 2.89 goals against average and four shutouts.

Prior to Clemmensen's professional career, he played four seasons for the Boston College Eagles (1997 to 2001). Clemmensen led the Eagles to a NCAA Championship in 2001 and was named to the NCAA All-Tournament Team.

Two weeks ago, the Maple Leafs acquired Vesa Toskala and winger Mark Bell from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a conditional first round pick, a second-round pick in 2007 and a 2009 fourth-round pick.The club and Toskala then agreed to a two-year, $8 million contract extension.

Yikes 3rd string goalie now? Poor Clemmy man.. first backing up the greatest goalie and getting a start once in a blue moon and now into a lower succeeding organization as a 3rd string goalie.. eh.. i guess it'll be good for him to get some playing time in the AHL then..

Edited by nmigliore