I'll Miss Brad Lukowich

Beetlebum

The Maven can tell you this -- I certainly will. But not for the reasons that you think.

I've always been a people-person and Brad -- from Day One in New Jersey -- was one of my favorite personalities. For one thing, he ALWAYS was available for an interview and, for another, he usually had a smile on his face and was good for laughs.

Once we were talking about his native Canada and its shortcomings.

"Well," he said in his typically laconic tones, "we don't have an Army and our air force has one helicopter ... but it's broken!"

Lukie also was a surprisingly good backliner, although this was not evident immediately after his arrival from Long Island. At first, he looked like an overrated stiff. But as Brad became acclimatized to Devils' hockey, his game markedly improved.

Devils fans will gleefully recall his late-third-period, shorthanded goal against the Flyers in Philly that was a turning point in the season for Brad and his team. He played a robust game and, on the whole, was better than we had expected.

But that was then and this is now. The fact remains that Lukie is on the down-side of his career. He may deliver for the Lightning and, if he does, more power to him.

Nevertheless, Lukowich can be replaced by a younger d-man and in this season of reconstruction, Brad's move is the best for all concerned. Still, I'll miss his positive presence.

http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2007/07/should-the-de-1.html

Devils fans will gleefully recall his late-third-period, shorthanded goal against the Flyers in Philly that was a turning point in the season for Brad and his team. He played a robust game and, on the whole, was better than we had expected.

Doesn't Maven mean the overtime goal?

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamecenter/r...20070201_NJ@PHI

The Maven can tell you this -- I certainly will. But not for the reasons that you think.

I've always been a people-person and Brad -- from Day One in New Jersey -- was one of my favorite personalities. For one thing, he ALWAYS was available for an interview and, for another, he usually had a smile on his face and was good for laughs.

Once we were talking about his native Canada and its shortcomings.

"Well," he said in his typically laconic tones, "we don't have an Army and our air force has one helicopter ... but it's broken!"

Lukie also was a surprisingly good backliner, although this was not evident immediately after his arrival from Long Island. At first, he looked like an overrated stiff. But as Brad became acclimatized to Devils' hockey, his game markedly improved.

But that was then and this is now. The fact remains that Lukie is on the down-side of his career. He may deliver for the Lightning and, if he does, more power to him.

Nevertheless, Lukowich can be replaced by a younger d-man and in this season of reconstruction, Brad's move is the best for all concerned. Still, I'll miss his positive presence.

He's the kind of guy that you'll have a hard time finding any team mates, current or past to say a bad thing about him. He just loves to play hockey (remember when Gomez first came up?) and it shows.

Best of luck to Brad!