Fighting

HellOnICE

Next season with Cam, Clarkson, and possibly a defenseman to be named later, can we expect fighting to be up on the team?

What does ya'll think?

I :pray: for more arse kicking as apposed to more fighting :evil:

I think it's going to depend on the need for it. Last season, when the Devs had to drop the gloves, it was usually either Rupp or Janssen, on occasion Hale. I think now that they have some size you'll probably see more of it as they won't have to worry about 1 or 2 guys taking care of business.

Since the Devils physical play should be up this season it might lead to less actual fights. Janssen may get less playing time if the new people play physical enough where we don't need a 1 dimensional physical player in the lineup. Without Janssen in the lineup there would be less fights, IMO

I am hoping to see a whole lot less Cam Janssen this year. Just for the simple facts he is a one trick pony. He gets off the bench goes after someone like a heat seeking missile makes contact. Goes back to the bench.

Don't get me wrong I do think he brought toughness the team desperately needed the past couple seasons. Because since Stevens left the devils had become a bunch of pansies who no one feared.

But I would like to see a bit more production from the 4th line than just be used to knock people around for a total of 3-5 minutes per game. With Clarkson ready maybe Rupp and another player who has similar size, skating ability and a bit of hockey sense I think the Devils would be much better suited than pushing Cam out there to go get em'

Not saying to get rid of him altogether but only dress him when we are facing a team who has been gooning it up against us.

Sorry fighting doesn't make hockey exciting for me. More times than not it kills the flow of a game. I much prefer to see a fast pasted end to end game filled with great saves, chances , and skating. Notice I didn't say scoring because being a long time Devils fan I have grown to love the drama that a one goal game develops as it counts down.

Any increase in hysicallity on this team as a whole would be excelent. Fighting will stay relativley similar. Hopefully it will come about from other teams trying to swing momentum in their fvour because we are already ahead in the game.

If we have to fight more that wont say a hell of a lot about us, and our play.

Ottawa pushed us round the rink in the playoffs, it was horrible.

The team needs an agressive spark put back in it.

Clarkson could be that spark.

If we cant get it this year we will have to wait for Corrente to make the line up.

You want physicallity and ferocity that kid has it by the bucket load.

I want to see better fighters, not necessarily more fights. I want a guy that would actually KO another player in one or two punches...then again he should be in the ring. But there has to be somebody like that out there, that nobody would want to mess with.

I think Cam is a keeper. The pure enthusiasm of the guy, the eagerness with which he comes to the defense of his teammates, the funny jumping dance he does (my wife loves it) right after he drops the gloves... and hey, he scored an actual nice goal.

Most importantly, he does scare people and throws them off their game, which is what he is there for. As such, he's truly an impact player, even with less than 5 minutes on the ice.

Atleast we dont have Hollweg... he cant fight at all but always tries.

Jannsen is a great fight but we have to admit he will get beat up sometimes.

Love that fight

Jannsen needs to pick his fights better. He should fight anyone bigger than him because that normally goes wrong, when he fights a guy around his size he normally wrecks them.

Edited by SteveStevens

Jannsen is a great fight but we have to admit he will get beat up sometimes.

Well, that's true. However, we should not forget that he is more of a middleweight rather than a heavyweight, yet he takes on much bigger guys.

Thats his flaw because he shouldnt, he mostly thinks he can take them on when he cant really.

But that makes for a good fight. Pound for pound, this guy is probably the toughest fighter in the league (Domi is retired, right?)

Next season with Cam, Clarkson, and possibly a defenseman to be named later, can we expect fighting to be up on the team?

What does ya'll think?

Lou didn't resign Cam to hold the water bottles. Look for the Cam seeking missile to be launched frequently.

Clarkson, if he plays on the checking line, will have trouble fighting. Don't think Gomer and Jagr will drop the gloves with him.