Crosby signs extension

MadDog2020

It's not really a discount.... he is still early in his career. Pittsburgh could have offered $25M for 5 years and his choices would be accept or sit out....

True, but it's best not to piss off your franchise. They definately did the right thing.

This contract expires the same year Crosby becomes eligible to be an UFA and not a RFA, correct? If so the Pens probably should have played a little more hardball here as Crosby got the perfect length contract for himself which is gigantic for him.

I only mentioned the discount because I read something last week that they were negotiating longterm extension with him, and that they were hoping for a discount.

So, is he now the highest paid NHLer?

Though thinking about it....the Pens probably don't really need to worry about a discount......they don't have that many hefty contracts yet.

This contract expires the same year Crosby becomes eligible to be an UFA and not a RFA, correct? If so the Pens probably should have played a little more hardball here as Crosby got the perfect length contract for himself which is gigantic for him.

Once Crosby hit the *RFA* market he was gone. 4 first round picks for him is nothing.

Good thing to keep him happy.

I don't have the CBA on hand (not at home), but I thought it was 27 or 5 years by 2011?

That is almost a fifth of the cap...how is that a discount?? That is an insane amount of cash and it really sets the bar for franchise players I think...and that bar is too high....teams are paying too much for too little and it drives the price up for the guys with real skill....this league is going to flat line with prices like these....I guess it at least means at least Staal and Malkin won't be with the Pens for too much longer....no way they can afford all 3 unless they plan on putting them all on the same line and playing that line the whole time...then again if Malkin can play goal, Crosby a forward, and Staal a defenseman they might do it that way :)

Malkin and Staal wont command 9mm a season though... so it should be more reasonable. Malkin and Staal are great talents, Crosby is beyond that. In the old NHL, Forsberg was making 10+... I could easily see the Rangers or other big market team paying 15+... and it would easily cover with merchandise sales, etc

Once Crosby hit the *RFA* market he was gone. 4 first round picks for him is nothing.

Good thing to keep him happy.

I don't have the CBA on hand (not at home), but I thought it was 27 or 5 years by 2011?

He wouldn't be gone, the Pens could match anything. They're almost paying the max to Crosby right now and I don't see the cap or max increasing much over the next few years. So the Pens are getting almost no discount now when this is the only time they'll ever have leverage. I was thinking he would get more like 5 years 7 million per.

I thought the CBA was 27 or 7 years, but I'm not sure.

He wouldn't be gone, the Pens could match anything. They're almost paying the max to Crosby right now and I don't see the cap or max increasing much over the next few years. So the Pens are getting almost no discount now when this is the only time they'll ever have leverage. I was thinking he would get more like 5 years 7 million per.

I thought the CBA was 27 or 7 years, but I'm not sure.

Damn... 9 mil a year and the kid can't buy a freaking BEER yet :P

Crazy....

So can we try to trade for Malkin now from them??? :evil:

I dunno... seems awfully young to get so insanely paid like that

No one that insanely young has ever been the MVP of the league and won a scoring title in the same year either.

And he won the MVP as voted on by the players. I just checked and saw that he is only the 7th player to win the Hart, Art Ross, and Pearson.

Honestly, I think the deal is good for the Pens because they have avoided paying him the maximum salary.