Anyone ever go to Saratoga?

Pepperkorn

I had the best time this weekend. :evil: First time I ever went to the track and we went because it's old fashioned and the horsies are cute.

We were only making $5 bets but we won the daily double (bet July 31 - horse 7 and horse 4 (3+1) and then the third race bet on this adorable gray who won.

The first race everyone was happy for us because Rebecca bet on a horse to place We read her all the horses names and she said "I want to pick the winner" - and we said "dont we all hahah - now who do you want to pick" - "The WINNER!" "We dont KNOW who's winning so you have to pick one" "I want the WINNER!" she finally whined and pointed to the horse.. named Wood Winner - :whistling: duh? Sorry kid :evil: and it was an awesome nose to nose finish with our horse winning but her's coming in second - it was cute because daddy was cheering against his tiny daughter :giggle: Then when the daily double came in everyone was just sort of smiling but not so much. Then after the third race I actually felt like a BS artists because we were always screaming at the finish and high fiving and everyone else was grumpy :(

We're lame in that we went home before the big stake races came on -- we left our bet with my husband's uncle who stayed ... just in case Lawyer Ron came in :uni:

I went to the finger lakes race track. It was much more fun than I anticipated. It's great to bet on horses after like ten seconds of preparation just because of their names and odds. It's fairly exciting stuff.

All my friends who go to school in the south say horse racing is huge and the kentucky derby/belmont/preakness are some of the most fun days of the year.

I went to Belmont once, the year that horse, I think it was the one from Philadelphia, Smarty Jones? was going after the Triple Crown. There must have been what seemed like close to 100,000 people there all screaming their heads of during the race. It was a interesting experience even though I don't think I would go again.

I go to Delaware Park sometimes, but usually OTB in A.C.

We used to go to DelPark on Sundays and watch all the NFL games and bet on horses to try to cover the cost of all the beer we were drinking.

good times ... good times.

I usually bet on superstitions like names that mean something to me, and numbers, but if Edgar Prado is riding, bet on the man! He's awesome!

Edited by Masked Fan

I love going to Saratoga. I live down in Albany so it's a quick (albeit expensive) trip and a fun day out. My uncle is a bit of a horse-racing fanatic so we usually have a big event for the Travers Stakes - We've found that the best thing to do is rent a table by the paddock. Easy dress and fun for the whole family (6 year olds..) as well as easy access to on the rail. Back in the day (well, 5 years ago when I was 18) we would dress to the nines and do the whole grandstand-reserve thing. Pretending to be ritzy for a few hours is great fun, even if it's not at all who you are! I'll slum around the track with cargo shorts and a devils t any day!

My parents want to do the grandstand thng next time. My husbands family is right outside of Albany so we all stayed there and went up. I was thinking it wasn't expensive at all. We did general admission not picnic table.

I'm tempted to check out Monmouth... I dont know if we'll go to the Breeders. It was fun to win but I'm not much of a gambler. It;s the whole experience - I love Saratoga. Monmouth park looks pretty modern but tour sounds fun - you get to pat the horses and everything.

Some years ago my wife and I went to Monmouth Park and got seats in the Racing Commission's box, because a friend's father-in-law was on the Commission. A great time.

Been the the Meadowlands a few times with a group. The food was great, but winning was difficult. One guy gave his wife $$ to bet on each race. She just put it in her purse, by the end of the night she told him it was her winnings, hahaha.

Haven't been to Freehold since before I got married.

I really should try to get up to Saratoga, my great grandfather was born there. For the life of me I can't figure out why. His mother was from New Brunswick,NJ. They moved back after a while.

Edited by point

I was actually just there today. My father and I know a guy who knows a guy who has seats in the clubhouse and sells off the seats for the days he won't use. I actually prefer sitting on the benches in front but it's nice to have the seats inside. Anyway, I thought the only tickets I was going to cash in were the ones where the horse threw the jockey right at the beginning, and they decided to give everyone a refund who bet on that horse. But then in the last race we stayed for, I hit the trifecta (first, second and third for those unfamiliar with the ponies) and a win bet for $55! I was thrilled! :) I'm definitely going back up at some point this year!