Baseball Trade Deadline Thread

PeteyNice

The first big deal has gone down. The Braves acquiring Mark Teixeira from Texas for Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects. The Braves certainly have a formidable lineup now but their rotation still does not impress me. Giving up that much they need to re-sign him (he is FA after 2008 season). He played his college ball at Georgia Tech so the Braves may have an in there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954457

The Teixeira deal will make the NL East a lot more interesting. Overall I think it is a good deal for both teams.

Hopefully the Yankees can ship Farnsworth out of town after the crap he pulled against Posada.

Tons of rumors surrounding the Yankees and Gagne...as long as they don't give up Kennedy or Gardner in a Gagne deal I would be happy. Maybe some package of Clippard, Marquez, and someone else, possibly Horne will get it done.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/christensen/?p=274

The Twins are close to trading Luis Castillo to the New York Mets for two minor-league prospects, two major league sources said this afternoon. In return, the Twins would get AA catcher Drew Butera, the son of former major league catcher Sal Butera, and Class A outfielder Dustin Martin.

The Star Tribune confirmed that the deal was close with two major league sources, though there were indications that it still needed to be finalized and wouldn

Reds deal Lohse to Phils for prospect

The Phillies, seeking to upgrade their rotation, have acquired Reds right-hander Kyle Lohse for Class AA left-hander Matt Maloney, according to a major-league source.

Braves take lead in bidding for Dotel

In addition to reaching a preliminary agreement for Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira, the Braves are close to a deal for Royals closer Octavio Dotel, according to major-league sources.

The Braves, Indians and Dodgers are the three finalists for Dotel, sources say. Royals general manager Dayton Moore, previously an executive with Atlanta, is intimately acquainted with the Braves' farm system.

The addition of Dotel would give the Braves a trio of formidable right-handers in the late innings -- Dotel, Rafael Soriano and Bob Wickman.

Braves must really be going for it all this year:

The Braves also were said to be talking to the Cincinnati Reds (who dealt Kyle Lohse to the Philadelphia Phillies) about Bronson Arroyo, and the Red Sox were shopping outfielder Wily Mo Pena. The Seattle Mariners would like to add a starter and a reliever, but probably will have to settle for the latter. They were hoping to talk the Florida Marlins into moving Dontrelle Willis, but have had no substantive negotiations.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_exper...e?urn=mlb,40778

Yankees get infielder Betemit from L.A. for reliever Proctor

The Dodgers and Yankees have agreed in principle on a trade that would send reliever Scott Proctor to the Dodgers for infielder Wilson Betemit, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

--------------

Proctor was one of my favorite players. He had a lot of passion and toughness that some of the other players lacked. Hopefully his second stint with the LA Dodgers works out for him, he was a great guy. It is a shame his arm was abused and it had to come to this. Betemit is a good pick up for the Yankees but they still need bullpen help now. Hopefully they trade Farnsworth and can pickup Gagne and another reliever or two, unless the calling up of Joba Chamberlain is imminent. Betemit definitely helps the Yankees bench, hopefully this means Cairo will be demoted or DFA.

I like the Betemit deal. The Yankee bench is a joke and Betemit provides a real power threat and versatility that means Cairo can retire after this season and start collecting social security. Proctor was killed by Torre. I an sure he will do very well in LA with people who know how to run a bullpen.

I like the Betemit deal. The Yankee bench is a joke and Betemit provides a real power threat and versatility that means Cairo can retire after this season and start collecting social security. Proctor was killed by Torre. I an sure he will do very well in LA with people who know how to run a bullpen.

Red Sox on Verge of Acquiring Gagne

"The Red Sox are on the verge of winning the Eric Gagne sweepstakes, pending his approval and a review of his medical records, according to major-league sources.

Gagne must waive his no-trade clause to Boston for the deal to be completed. It is possible the Red Sox will allow him to share the closer's role with Jonathan Papelbon.

The Rangers would receive left-hander Kason Gabbard and an additional player or players in the deal, sources say.

Before reaching agreement with the Red Sox, the Rangers had discussed trading Gagne to the Mets, Yankees and Brewers. He could have been sent to each of those teams without his permission.

Gagne could reject the deal because of his desire to remain a closer with the Rangers rather than share the role with Papelbon or become his setup man.

The Red Sox also could attempt to persuade him to waive his no-trade protection by guaranteeing all or part of his remaining $3.65 million in potential bonuses for games finished."

----------

I am still hoping Cashman can trade Farnsworth, he is a locker room cancer to the team and he isn't that great at his job either. Seems like the Yankee bullpen is going to be pretty weak when this is all said and done. I am excited Joba will get a call up but I am afraid at how Torre will abuse him, just like he did to Edwar Ramirez.

I can't fault Cashman for not picking up Gagne. Apparently Texas wanted Melky and Kennedy, so I think that was a good non move. I am still upset that Farnsworth is still here, and to a lesser extent, Igawa. Hopefully Cairo is DFA'ed for Betemit, and Ramirez/Britton and Joba are called up and actually used correctly by Torre. The bullpen situation is looking pretty bleak though.

So the deadline has passed. Atlanta is the big winner picking up Texeira and rebuilding their bullpen with Dotel and Mayhay. The NL East should be interesting finish.

As for the Yankees, they are gambling a lot on young players/rookies. More than I am really comfortable with. You can make an argument that this was the best option but that doesn't make it a particularly good option. I like Betemit. Once Giambi comes back the Yankee bench should be quite good. I just don't trust Torre and the bullpen. He should let Gator be in charge of the bullpen.

The Rangers and the Met's were the obvious trade deadline winners this year.

The Mets by picking up Castillio, who is one of the best lead off batters in the league. He's quick, can steal bases easily, usually bat's around 300, and is a stud defensivly (set a record this year for most consecutive games by a second basemen without an error)

The Rangers improved by adding Salty and a few other prospects. First base men who put up 16 HR's in one of the best hitter's park's in the league (Teixeira) are easy to come by. Young, talented catchers, who can hit for average and power, are much harder to find.