ESPN 2 / NHL 2008 Rumor

Terreri31

Amen brother....amen....

As for hockey being on EPSN, anything that will keep the leauge financially sound is good for me. Having hockey on ESPN will draw more viewers, period. Now will those viewers go to games, buy jerseys and eat Premio sausage at the arena...ehhhhh, probably not.

This didn't happen to begin with why would it happen now? The ratings on Versus this year have been about the same and in some cases higher than what they were on ESPN2.

This didn't happen to begin with why would it happen now? The ratings on Versus this year have been about the same and in some cases higher than what they were on ESPN2.

Hmmmm....interesting stats. To me ESPN just means more exposure...but if ESPN doesn't promote the leauge and sticks it between Competitive Spelling Bees and Women's Bowling, the whole thing will be be moot anyway. I actually liked Versus's coverage of the NHL last season, especially since Doc did the PBP for most of the playoff games. Music to my ears...

Leaving VS and coming back to ESPN would do a lot for exposure...I wonder what the $ deal will be in comparison on the one they left on the table with them before going to 'oln'

They aren't going to leave Versus, this is about if NBC doesn't pick up the option that package going to ESPN2. Versus would still have the majority of games including the All-Star Game. The only thing Versus has to do with this is they have to give permission because their contract is a cable exclusive one.

This is not JUST about finding the Vs. Network....people do not even know what the Versus network is....I have talked to several people that never heard of it "Versus, what is that"...I say "It was called OLN" they come back with "OLN?"...go to a sports bar, restaurant that has a bar..E$PN, for better or worse, is on in MANY places....Versus is non-existent.

ESPN only publicizes the sports its partners with. Throw out MLB and the NFL which can frankly publicize themselves. The only reason why the WNBA is on television and is publicized is because the NBA puts a gun to ESPN/ABC's head with the NBA rights. You can say the same of Arena football (many NFL owners also own Arena teams now) and even if its not in the official contract its a handshake agreement that these "minor" sports get broadcast and their highlights are given a diecent spot on Sports Center.

It doesn't directly affect the NHL but last week there was a great interview Mike Francessa had with an ESPN suit which gave you great insite into how ESPN and specifically SC have gone from good sports journalism to being self serving garbage. At the very least if the NHL got back with ESPN the network would add the NHL to its self serving agenda.

ESPN only publicizes the sports its partners with. Throw out MLB and the NFL which can frankly publicize themselves. The only reason why the WNBA is on television and is publicized is because the NBA puts a gun to ESPN/ABC's head with the NBA rights. You can say the same of Arena football (many NFL owners also own Arena teams now) and even if its not in the official contract its a handshake agreement that these "minor" sports get broadcast and their highlights are given a diecent spot on Sports Center.

It doesn't directly affect the NHL but last week there was a great interview Mike Francessa had with an ESPN suit which gave you great insite into how ESPN and specifically SC have gone from good sports journalism to being self serving garbage. At the very least if the NHL got back with ESPN the network would add the NHL to its self serving agenda.

ESPN actually owns a piece of the AFL which why they have been getting a big push from ESPN.