Avery awarded $1.9 million in Arbitration

MantaRay

TSN.ca Staff

8/1/2007 12:46:06 PM

An arbitrator has awarded New York Rangers centre Sean Avery a $1.9-million salary for next season.

Avery, 27, was seeking $2.6-million in arbitration after scoring 48 points in 84 games last season with the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers.

Avery earned $1.1-million last season and the Rangers were offering him $1.3-million in arbitration. A well-known agitator, Avery has 134 points and 913 penalty minutes in 322 career games.

As with any arbitration hearing, the team didn't hesitate to downplay the player's contribution, even though the Rangers were 17-6-6 after acquiring Avery from the Kings in February.

The New York Post reported that the Rangers described Avery to an arbitrator as "a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team."

The Rangers continued: "Avery is not a mature player. He plays, at times, like an individual rather than a member of a team. This is sometimes referred to as an inability to see the ice, and in Avery's case this seems to fit with his overall approach to the game."

Now that the award has been decided, the Rangers have 48 hours to accept or decline the verdict. Should the Rangers decline, Avery would be an unrestricted free agent.

After making several lucrative free agent signings this summer, the Rangers don't have a lot of room under the cap, so further transactions may be required if they are going to fit in Avery's new salary.

Thats a fair number...Avery provided a huge emotional boost for the Rags last season and if he can stay out of the box, is a decent enforcer.

Naturally, I can't stand the douche but the Rags should accept the arbitration and run!

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching Cam splatter Avery into the boards next season....but that's just me :evil:

I dont even see him fitting into our top 2 lines anyway. He would be playing a roll with Brylin and he dosent fit our style.

A good thing for us is that the rags have no penalty kill besides Blair Betts, who isnt that great anyway. Overy takes alot of penalties, so its a good thing in that sense. If teams are good on power plays the rags will have a headache

Do you guys think Avery will be a goner after this year??He'll be an UFA the next year, and because of the comments that Slather said actually ....

who knows - if anything, teams have shown a short memory for the stupid stuff avery does

and there's no chance i would ever pay sean avery to be a member of my team unless i had a death wish - he is a double edged sword. we learned this lesson with mike danton.

who knows - if anything, teams have shown a short memory for the stupid stuff avery does

and there's no chance i would ever pay sean avery to be a member of my team unless i had a death wish - he is a double edged sword. we learned this lesson with mike danton.

I don't think you can compare Mike Danton to anyone in the league. He is in his own league when it comes to that stuff. I'd take Avery in a few years. I think by then he'll be a lot more mature and if he hasn't won a Cup, he'll be very hungry.

Look at the New England Patriots. They have taken many risks with a lot of headcases including Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon and now Randy Moss. The first two turned into angels with a very professional organization like the Pats who have a coach doesn't take sh!t from anyone and both were huge in the Super Bowl victories. As for Moss...he seems to be a new man so far in training camp.

I think the same thing would happen if Avery went to the Devils. Give him a few years to grow out of his antics and he'll be fine especially if he went to a first class organization like the Devils.

Edited by devilsrule33