BEER

TrentonDevils

Thanks for posting that link. Now that I am getting into trying different beers, the next step for me is learning which beers go in which type of glass. Not that I'm a beer snob or anything, LOL. It's more of a fun interest. Just like some guys (and girls) who like trying different types of cigars.

Yeah I have never been into cigars or smoking for that matter. Im still in my 20's so I figured now would be a good time to educate myself on beer. Many people my age stick with PBR and that crap but Id much rather drop a few extra bucks on a 6 pack of something that I can actually enjoy and not pound to get drunk.

If getting drunk is the main goal then PBR and Miller is where its at. Like I said, I went to culinary school which helped "refine my palate" but its the same thing with food. There is so much you can do with food other then the simple steak on the grill or burger thing which isnt bad those are my two favorite meals.

Same thing with beer. There is SO much out there that is amazing you just need to take the time and advice to find it and taste it.

Also I dont think that people realize that you dont just have to drink wine with good meals. There are plenty of beers out there that go just as well if not better with some foods.

Side Note: BA just rated "Wide Awake It's Morning" which is a Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Porter brewed by The Funky Buddha Lounge in Florida. It got an A+. Although they only made 50 bottles of this ale. This brewery has quite a few awesome sounding beers that I will have to hunt down like Apple Pie or Vanilla Espresso Piiti Porter. If your ever near Boca Raton, Florida youll have to find this place. They have some pretty decent drink specials also.

Edited by Quinn01

Side Note: BA just rated "Wide Awake It's Morning" which is a Imperial Maple Bacon Coffee Porter brewed by The Funky Buddha Lounge in Florida. It got an A+. Although they only made 50 bottles of this ale. This brewery has quite a few awesome sounding beers that I will have to hunt down like Apple Pie or Vanilla Espresso Piiti Porter. If your ever near Boca Raton, Florida youll have to find this place. They have some pretty decent drink specials also.

Just for clarification, all the ratings on that site are the average of the reviews given by anyone registered on the site, so it's not really the people who run the website rating the beers (although they do contribute their reviews as well). I mostly use the website to get an idea about beers I haven't had yet and to read beer news on the forum, sometimes I post but very rarely. I never felt the urge to the write up a review yet though.

Just for clarification, all the ratings on that site are the average of the reviews given by anyone registered on the site, so it's not really the people who run the website rating the beers (although they do contribute their reviews as well). I mostly use the website to get an idea about beers I haven't had yet and to read beer news on the forum, sometimes I post but very rarely. I never felt the urge to the write up a review yet though.

Yeah Im not sure how many members are on that site but the people who are putting the reviews in seem somewhat intelligent from their postings and reviews. Their top rated reviews have over 1 thousand reviews.

Like you said, you use that site to get an idea about beers which is what I do. If people have some good things to say about beers I go out and look for them and taste them myself. Its a good source to use as a general direction on which breweries are good.

I went to culinary school which helped "refine my palate" but its the same thing with food. There is so much you can do with food other then the simple steak on the grill or burger thing which isnt bad those are my two favorite meals.

Same thing with beer. There is SO much out there that is amazing you just need to take the time and advice to find it and taste it.

Nice analogy. I grew up on Budweiser and can still drink a nice cold one any day. Yet it's fun exploring all these new brews coming out.

Funny, so many people gave the SA Triple Bock an F, yet The Bros. (whoever the heck they are) gave it an A.

Nice analogy. I grew up on Budweiser and can still drink a nice cold one any day. Yet it's fun exploring all these new brews coming out.

Funny, so many people gave the SA Triple Bock an F, yet The Bros. (whoever the heck they are) gave it an A.

The Bros are the Alstrom brothers, the guys who run the website. At the end of the day, they are just another two people who review beer so I don't put any more stock into their ratings.

Good god, that sounds so aweful hahah. I actually liked the double bock. Oh well, good thing I missed the pond scum brew or I might have other skipped SA beers.

Good god, that sounds so aweful hahah. I actually liked the double bock. Oh well, good thing I missed the pond scum brew or I might have other skipped SA beers.

The triple bock was a special release that they only made two or three times, it wasn't really anything like the double bock. Last time it was brewed was 1997 and somehow I stumbled upon a bottle at Joe Canal's in Iselin about a year and a half ago. I still have it, hoping I can trade it to some poor soul who seriously wants to try it. My friend picked up a bottle and I tried some. Yea, it was bad. Maybe in like 1999 it was good, but it is past its prime now, although some say it has turned a corner and is good again, while others say it depends on the bottle because most of them have been contaminated by the cork while others are still good.

River Horse's Hipp-o-lantern pumpkin beer is in stores now. It doesn't look like the bottle on its BA page, that was last year's bottle as part of their brewer's reserve series. Fortunately, they made it a yearly seasonal like they did with their previous brewer's reserve offering--oatmeal milk stout. I think it's too early to be drinking pumpkin beers but I picked up two four packs to make sure I have at least some for the fall. Still waiting for Southern Tier Pumking and Schlafly's pumpkin ale to hit stores. All other pumpkin beers I have had are way below those three in my opinion.

Also while at the Buy Rite on Oak Tree Road in South Plainfield, I noticed that Climax in Roselle Park now (finally) sells their IPA in bottles, previously they only sold beers in 64oz growlers. I picked up a bottle of their IPA, though it tasted nothing like any IPA I've ever had. I had some of my friends taste it too. We all agreed it wasn't very hoppy, but we did pick up some wacky tastes like lemongrass, spearmint, and Fruity Pebbles. Nothing groundbreaking but a pretty good and interesting beer.

I guess Shiner Bock is getting to be a popular beer. It seems like within the past year or two, it is turning up almost everywhere I go. I tried it for the first time a few months ago. Not a bad brew.

I got it while I was on travel in TX thinking it was a local thing. Was pleasantly surprised to have no trouble finding it once I went back east. Now I'm back in TX and have a 6er of Shiner Bohemian Black Lager. Good stuff.

River Horse's Hipp-o-lantern pumpkin beer is in stores now. It doesn't look like the bottle on its BA page, that was last year's bottle as part of their brewer's reserve series. Fortunately, they made it a yearly seasonal like they did with their previous brewer's reserve offering--oatmeal milk stout. I think it's too early to be drinking pumpkin beers but I picked up two four packs to make sure I have at least some for the fall. Still waiting for Southern Tier Pumking and Schlafly's pumpkin ale to hit stores. All other pumpkin beers I have had are way below those three in my opinion.

Also while at the Buy Rite on Oak Tree Road in South Plainfield, I noticed that Climax in Roselle Park now (finally) sells their IPA in bottles, previously they only sold beers in 64oz growlers. I picked up a bottle of their IPA, though it tasted nothing like any IPA I've ever had. I had some of my friends taste it too. We all agreed it wasn't very hoppy, but we did pick up some wacky tastes like lemongrass, spearmint, and Fruity Pebbles. Nothing groundbreaking but a pretty good and interesting beer.

I went to my local liquor store that has a pretty good selection of craft beers and found the Hipp-o-Lantern but for fvck's sake it was priced at $9 for a 4-pack!!!???

I did not get it but probably will at some point but is one of the ingredients unicorn tears?

I went to my local liquor store that has a pretty good selection of craft beers and found the Hipp-o-Lantern but for fvck's sake it was priced at $9 for a 4-pack!!!???

I did not get it but probably will at some point but is one of the ingredients unicorn tears?

I actually didn't even bother to look at the price haha. That price is about on par with some other four packs I have seen, like Old Rasputin, and I think that is less than all Founders four packs. I don't think of this beer as something I'll sit around and have three or four of at a time, more for just special occasions during the fall--Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, etc. so I guess the price isn't that bad for something like that in my opinion compared to what else is out there.

What annoys me is the beers that only come in 22oz bombers, because they are always overpriced compared to 12oz bottles. A six pack costs around $10 generally, and then bombers are about $6-10 depending on the beer, what a ripoff. Another thing I don't get is people willing to pay upwards of $15 for one beer, like Firestone Walker Abacus, North Coast Old Stock Ale Reserve, etc. Then all the way at the end of the spectrum you have the ridiculously priced beers like Tactical Nuclear Penguin for around $125 and Sam Adams Utopias for over $200!!! Can any food/drink really be worth that much? I don't think so.

I actually didn't even bother to look at the price haha. That price is about on par with some other four packs I have seen, like Old Rasputin, and I think that is less than all Founders four packs. I don't think of this beer as something I'll sit around and have three or four of at a time, more for just special occasions during the fall--Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, etc. so I guess the price isn't that bad for something like that in my opinion compared to what else is out there.

What annoys me is the beers that only come in 22oz bombers, because they are always overpriced compared to 12oz bottles. A six pack costs around $10 generally, and then bombers are about $6-10 depending on the beer, what a ripoff. Another thing I don't get is people willing to pay upwards of $15 for one beer, like Firestone Walker Abacus, North Coast Old Stock Ale Reserve, etc. Then all the way at the end of the spectrum you have the ridiculously priced beers like Tactical Nuclear Penguin for around $125 and Sam Adams Utopias for over $200!!! Can any food/drink really be worth that much? I don't think so.

Stuff like the Utopias are more for collectors and not even for most beer snobs.

Plus Utopias are more like cognac than beer at least to me. I do think their bottles are awesome though lol.

Have not been but thanks for bringing this to my attention as it sounds to be fun. I know Triumph across the river in New Hope has an Oktoberfest celebration on a saturday as well and once they release the details I will post on here.

Last year they had German polka and some more contemporary bands playing and they had their special Oktoberfest brew on tap as well. They also had pretezels for 50 cents each (they were outstanding) and selling 1 liter beer steins as well. I won a couple last year and if you bring them to Triumph any day of the year during happy hour or any Tuesday of the year all day when they have beer for $3 a pint, they consider the 1 liter stein as 2 pints so for $6 you get an entire liter of beer. My liver loves it.

A few days ago, I saw this listed on FaceBook:

Triumph Brewing Company of New Hope

Saturday Oct. 1

German beer, food, music, and even stuff for the kids! Every year this event gets bigger and better.

Barrel Tapping at 1pm.

Music Lineup:

1-4pm Firehouse Polka Band

5-8pm TBA

10-close Splintered Sunlight

Kid's Stuff:

Face painting by Christy Loveless and our very own Sean O'Brien will be making balloon animals from 1 til 4pm. At 3pm will be a balloon drop in front of the stage.

Link

Saturday Oct. 1

German beer, food, music, and even stuff for the kids! Every year this event gets bigger and better.

Barrel Tapping at 1pm.

Music Lineup:

5-8pm TBA

Kid's Stuff:

Face painting by Christy Loveless and our very own Sean O'Brien will be making balloon animals from 1 til 4pm. At 3pm will be a balloon drop in front of the stage.

Link

I was there last year, a good time and the bands were pretty genuine and cool.

Saturday Oct. 1

Barrel Tapping at 1pm.

Music Lineup:

5-8pm TBA

Kid's Stuff:

Link

I was there last year too and it was great. They had fresh large pretzels for 50 cents too and they were great.

Also if it is the same Sean that does the trivia then he is a great guy and have to ask him to make me something this Thursday.

Forgot to post but yesterday Triumph of New Hope posted on their FB that their Blueberry Ale just hit the taps. Last year it was gone in about a week or so and I missed out so I hope to go there sometime to have a taste.

I have never had any of their ales but that sounds awesome. Do they sell it bottled or does it go straight to just tap?

I have never had any of their ales but that sounds awesome. Do they sell it bottled or does it go straight to just tap?

Just tap but they also have growlers for you to take home. They also have a small variety of brewers reserve beers you can buy in 750 ml bottles. I am not sure as to what is available for the brewers reserve as they do not post it and I never really pay much attention to it when I am there.

Just tap but they also have growlers for you to take home. They also have a small variety of brewers reserve beers you can buy in 750 ml bottles. I am not sure as to what is available for the brewers reserve as they do not post it and I never really pay much attention to it when I am there.

I go to Philly like once a month or so and just saw that they are also there. I have to find them the next time I am around the city.

I go to Philly like once a month or so and just saw that they are also there. I have to find them the next time I am around the city.

Yeah they are on Chestnut just a couple of blocks east of Independence Hall. Problem is out of the 3 Triumphs, that one is the weakest. I would recommend either New Hope or Princeton over the one in Philly, however the Philly one makes really awesome pretzels appetizer but gives you a tiny amount.

Yeah they are on Chestnut just a couple of blocks east of Independence Hall. Problem is out of the 3 Triumphs, that one is the weakest. I would recommend either New Hope or Princeton over the one in Philly, however the Philly one makes really awesome pretzels appetizer but gives you a tiny amount.

haha, I worked at the Philly Triumph till May... Be easy!