BEER

TrentonDevils

haha, I worked at the Philly Triumph till May... Be easy!

So what your saying is I can go in there and drink my ass off and at the end of the night when they say ok time to collect the tab I can respond with "It's ok....Im in with Onddeck." :thumbsup:

:pray:

Bummer, do you like other pumpkin beers?

Triumph's are usually pretty good and I had one last year (forgot which brewery) that was decent too.

IDK the River Horse I could barely taste the pumpkin but I was more overpowered by the cinammon and other spices in there as well. Tasted more like Egg Nog Ale than Pumpkin Ale.

Triumph's are usually pretty good and I had one last year (forgot which brewery) that was decent too.

IDK the River Horse I could barely taste the pumpkin but I was more overpowered by the cinammon and other spices in there as well. Tasted more like Egg Nog Ale than Pumpkin Ale.

I think that's how most pumpkin beers are. I never made a pumpkin beer myself but I read that actual pumpkin doesn't give it much pumpkin flavor, it comes from the other spices. Though I guess what you are saying is the spices didn't add up to pumpkin flavor. My other favorite pumpkin beer is from Schlafly, but I think it is similar to the Hipp-o-lantern so you might not like that one either. Southern Tier Pumking is my 3rd favorite pumpkin beer and it has a different taste than both of those. One of my friends described it as drinking wax though haha. Southern Tier's beers usually go all-in with flavor, like their Choklat or Creme Brulee.

I think that's how most pumpkin beers are. I never made a pumpkin beer myself but I read that actual pumpkin doesn't give it much pumpkin flavor, it comes from the other spices. Though I guess what you are saying is the spices didn't add up to pumpkin flavor. My other favorite pumpkin beer is from Schlafly, but I think it is similar to the Hipp-o-lantern so you might not like that one either. Southern Tier Pumking is my 3rd favorite pumpkin beer and it has a different taste than both of those. One of my friends described it as drinking wax though haha. Southern Tier's beers usually go all-in with flavor, like their Choklat or Creme Brulee.

haha nice.

With Hipp-o-lantern, I didnt really taste any puimpkin at all but the ones I've had at Triumph and the one six-pack I got last year I could taste the pumpkin a bit. I felt with the River Horse there was too much nutmeg and cinammon.

Yeah, pumpkin itself isn't much of a flavor. That's why a lot of so-called pumpkin-flavored things (beers, coffees, muffins, doughnuts, etc.) have stopped calling themselves "pumpkin" and now get labeled as "pumpkin spice".

And a question for the beer-o-phyles here: In your opinion, what widely-available brew tastes most like the Dark Ale at McSorley's in NYC? I only ask because, apparently, the secret recipe for their kickin mustard is just Colman's mustard mix and McSorley's Dark instead of water. I've bought 6-packs of McSorley's Light and Dark in Jersey liquor stores before, but it's harder to come by in MD, and besides it tastes like it ages poorly in the bottling and shipping process when compared to draught. I'm thinking something along the lines of Smithwick's, Newcastle or Shiner Bock, but my palate for beer is not as refined as I like to think.

Is this the one you're talking about? If so maybe you should check out some schwarzbiers. I only had that McSorley's beer once and didn't really care for it, so I don't remember how it tasted that much either but based on the descriptions, I think you might like the schwarzbier style. Schwarzbier is a lager style and is German for black beer. That McSorley's beer is classified as a Euro dark lager, so I'm thinking it's similar to schwarzbier. I've never had any other beers of the Euro dark lager style so the closest I can recommend is the schwarzbier style.

As for what is available to you in Maryland, you can refer to this distribution spreadsheet, but this only includes American breweries.

In other news, this New Jersey Beer Night looks like a kickass time at Barcade in Jersey City on Thursday! Here's the tap list taken from their website and facebook page.

Boaks Beverage – Pompton Lakes

Double BW – 4.5% ABV – Belgian Style Witbier brewed with lemongrass.

Wooden Beanie – 8.5% (estimated) – Whisky Barrel Aged Dubbel.

Climax Brewing – Roselle Park

15th Anniversary Barleywine – 10.5% – Biggest Beer of the Evening!

Hoffman Oktoberfest – Traditional German Style Marzen.

Cricket Hill – Fairfield

East Coast Lager – 4.0% – American Pale Lager. Crisp, Clean, Sessionable.

Fall Festivus – 4.8% – American Amber Ale will brace you for the Airing of Grievances.

Flying Fish – Cherry Hill

Exit 9 Hoppy Scarlet Ale – 9.0% – Imperial Amber (Fat Sandwiches Not Included)

Exit 16 Wild Rice Double IPA – 8.2% – Hoppier than Xanadu!

Kane Brewing Co. – Ocean

Afterglow – 5.5% – American Rye Pale Ale from Jersey’s newest brewery.

Head High – 6.5% – American IPA.

New Jersey Beer Company – North Bergen

1787 Abbey Single – 4.8% – Easy drinking Belgian style from our closest brewery.

Garden State Stout – 6.6% – American Chocolate Stout.

Ramstein – Butler

Berliner Weiss – 4.0% (estimated) – Brand new beer!

Summer Bock – 5.0% (estimated) – Another brand new beer!

River Horse – Lambertville

Hipp-O-Lantern – 9.0% – Big Bold Pumpkin Ale.

Hop-a-lot-amus – 8.5% – Double IPA with extra hyphens!

Edited by devilsfan26

Is this the one you're talking about? If so maybe you should check out some schwarzbiers. I only had that McSorley's beer once and didn't really care for it, so I don't remember how it tasted that much either but based on the descriptions, I think you might like the schwarzbier style. Schwarzbier is a lager style and is German for black beer. That McSorley's beer is classified as a Euro dark lager, so I'm thinking it's similar to schwarzbier. I've never had any other beers of the Euro dark lager style so the closest I can recommend is the schwarzbier style.

As for what is available to you in Maryland, you can refer to this distribution spreadsheet, but this only includes American breweries.

Very cool, thank you! And yeah, I'm not crazy about it out of a bottle either. If you ever get a chance, try to get to McSorley's in lower Manhattan. It's the oldest pub in the city and it's a great experience in itself. They only serve their light and dark, and both are WAY better on tap than in bottles. And make sure you get their cheese, crackers, onions and mustard platter while you're there. Sounds plain and, well, weird, but it's friggin phenomenal.

Very cool, thank you! And yeah, I'm not crazy about it out of a bottle either. If you ever get a chance, try to get to McSorley's in lower Manhattan. It's the oldest pub in the city and it's a great experience in itself. They only serve their light and dark, and both are WAY better on tap than in bottles. And make sure you get their cheese, crackers, onions and mustard platter while you're there. Sounds plain and, well, weird, but it's friggin phenomenal.

Cool thanks, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I'm in New York.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys like Pumpkin beers the Hearland Brewery chain in Manhattan will have theirs out soon. It is the best I've had, and is very, very good. I'm knocking back a few Flying Fish Exit 4's right now, and they are also SUPERB and grown in the Garden State :)

Edited by jim777

• 2 weeks later...

So this new brewery in Ocean, NJ called Kane Brewing Co. just had a tasting at Joe Canal's in Iselin on Thursday. I got to talk to the owner (Mike?), he was pretty cool. He said they just opened about a month ago. Right now their beers are only available on tap at some local bars and at the brewery. They have three beers out now, a rye pale ale called Afterglow which I thought was very good, a Belgian blond called Single Fin which wasn't bad, and an IPA called Head High which was just awesome. Single Fin is a summer seasonal, the owner said the next seasonal will be an oatmeal brown ale. I came home with a half-growler of Head High and split it with my roommate. If you like IPAs I definitely suggest checking this one out. Other people seem to agree; it has an A+ on BeerAdvocate, only five reviews so far though. The owner said they are still far away from bottling but if/when they start bottling their beers I will definitely buy a lot of Head High.

Keep an eye out for these Kane guys, they seem to have a lot of potential based on the IPA and the rye pale ale.

So this new brewery in Ocean, NJ called Kane Brewing Co. just had a tasting at Joe Canal's in Iselin on Thursday. I got to talk to the owner (Mike?), he was pretty cool. He said they just opened about a month ago. Right now their beers are only available on tap at some local bars and at the brewery. They have three beers out now, a rye pale ale called Afterglow which I thought was very good, a Belgian blond called Single Fin which wasn't bad, and an IPA called Head High which was just awesome. Single Fin is a summer seasonal, the owner said the next seasonal will be an oatmeal brown ale. I came home with a half-growler of Head High and split it with my roommate. If you like IPAs I definitely suggest checking this one out. Other people seem to agree; it has an A+ on BeerAdvocate, only five reviews so far though. The owner said they are still far away from bottling but if/when they start bottling their beers I will definitely buy a lot of Head High.

Keep an eye out for these Kane guys, they seem to have a lot of potential based on the IPA and the rye pale ale.

I just might have to try it. I see they are on tap at the Tap Room at the Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ. I grew up about a mile from there so I know exactly where that is and that bar is very very good if you are into craft beers. What I am talking about is there are two types of bars that serve craft beers: Places like BWW and Edison Ale House where they have a decent selection and mostly have the larger craft beers in stock, and there are places like the Tap Room where they have stuff you can't get much anyplace else and really focus on microbreweries. They have usually about a dozen different beers on tap and have them on a 2-page menu where each beer is given a paragraph description of it. I just might have to hit this place within the next week to try to see if they have the IPA.

I just might have to try it. I see they are on tap at the Tap Room at the Somerset Hills Hotel in Warren, NJ. I grew up about a mile from there so I know exactly where that is and that bar is very very good if you are into craft beers. What I am talking about is there are two types of bars that serve craft beers: Places like BWW and Edison Ale House where they have a decent selection and mostly have the larger craft beers in stock, and there are places like the Tap Room where they have stuff you can't get much anyplace else and really focus on microbreweries. They have usually about a dozen different beers on tap and have them on a 2-page menu where each beer is given a paragraph description of it. I just might have to hit this place within the next week to try to see if they have the IPA.

Oh wow I had no idea we had a place like that around here. Have you ever been to Capone's in Norristown, PA? That place is top notch, both times I've been there I had some hard to find kickass beers on tap and they also have a nice bottle shop too that sells a lot of already aged beers.

Oh wow I had no idea we had a place like that around here. Have you ever been to Capone's in Norristown, PA? That place is top notch, both times I've been there I had some hard to find kickass beers on tap and they also have a nice bottle shop too that sells a lot of already aged beers.

I do not venture to that part of PA that much (even though I go to New Hope on an almost weekly basis), but I will have to check that place out if I am in the area.

I have found this link for the tap list that is dated 9/14/11 for the Tap Room at the Somerset Hills Hotel. Quite honestly this is the most mainstream I have ever seen it.

Tap Room Beer List

They make dudes look like suck alchies - a gazzilion beer caps - while sitting next to a cooler -- outside ------- alone....

I like the black guy chewin' gum ... drinkin'

Dude by the pool looks like he's waiting for his wife to come home ... man with a drunken mission.

Asian dude looks like he just likes using the bottle opener - notice he's the only one inside