BEER

TrentonDevils

Also does anyone know of any liquor stores in NJ that sell 21st Amendment beers? I tried their brews at a beer festival this past summer and thought they were quite solid. If I remember right they are from the San Francisco area.

I have seen several of the 21st Amendment beers at Whole Foods, surprisingly they have a great beer selection.

Also not sure where you are located but I have also seen them at Longhill Liquors in Oakland, NJ.

Is the Sam Adams Bonfire a seasonal? If so I might have to add that to my list to get next along with Founders Harvest Ale.

Yeah it's in the assorted Harvest Pack. I have yet to see it sold in 6 packs or by itself. It tastes like you're breathing in a bonfire which is surprisingly good haha.

The price makes it even better when compared to similar beers.

Definitely, I have seen them for $4.49 at my one go to spot.

Have any of you guys ever had the divine experience of drinking Pliny the Elder?

I had it last summer when I was in San Francisco, hands down BEST BEER I HAVE EVER HAD.

pliny.jpg

Definitely, I have seen them for $4.49 at my one go to spot.

Have any of you guys ever had the divine experience of drinking Pliny the Elder?

I had it last summer when I was in San Francisco, hands down BEST BEER I HAVE EVER HAD.

Yea I traded for a few bottles this summer. It was pretty good, but didn't blow me away like I was expecting it to. I didn't find it that much different than Flying Fish Exit 16, in fact I might have even enjoyed the Exit 16 more.

I have heard about pliney and so far been nothing but rave reviews. I also heard outside the west coast it is tough to find.

Yea the bottles are only available on the west coast, maybe even only in California, but occasionally you can get it on tap at top notch beer bars like Capone's in Norristown, PA. They even had Pliny the Younger on tap a couple times in the past 6 months or so.

Yea I traded for a few bottles this summer. It was pretty good, but didn't blow me away like I was expecting it to. I didn't find it that much different than Flying Fish Exit 16, in fact I might have even enjoyed the Exit 16 more.

Yea the bottles are only available on the west coast, maybe even only in California, but occasionally you can get it on tap at top notch beer bars like Capone's in Norristown, PA. They even had Pliny the Younger on tap a couple times in the past 6 months or so.

Haven't had Fliying Fish exit 16, but now that you said it is similar I will most certainly be trying to find it.

I need to find someone in Cali who will ship it to me. I refuse to pay $25+ for (1) bottle on ebay.

Any of you guys been to Barcade in Jersey City? Awesome and constantly changing micro/craft brew selection.

Haven't had Fliying Fish exit 16, but now that you said it is similar I will most certainly be trying to find it.

I need to find someone in Cali who will ship it to me. I refuse to pay $25+ for (1) bottle on ebay.

Any of you guys been to Barcade in Jersey City? Awesome and constantly changing micro/craft brew selection.

Exit 16 is not available in stores now, but I saw it on tap at a few places in the past 4-5 months. Hopefully they bottle it again.

As for Pliny, check out the trading forum on BeerAdvocate, that's how I got mine. I found a guy looking to go dollar for dollar on a case of Smuttynose Summer Weizen which is easily accessible here. It was a pain in the ass packaging and shipping that many bottles but at least I got five bottles of Pliny out of it. The packaging materials and shipping are another expense to factor in, but I split this ordeal with two of my friends. I think the beer plus the shipping plus the packing materials still came to about $30 a person though for a little less than two bottles of Pliny each.

Edited by devilsfan26

Exit 16 is not available in stores now, but I saw it on tap at a few places in the past 4-5 months. Hopefully they bottle it again.

As for Pliny, check out the trading forum on BeerAdvocate, that's how I got mine. I found a guy looking to go dollar for dollar on a case of Smuttynose Summer Weizen which is easily accessible here. It was a pain in the ass packaging and shipping that many bottles but at least I got five bottles of Pliny out of it. The packaging materials and shipping are another expense to factor in, but I split this ordeal with two of my friends. I think the beer plus the shipping plus the packing materials still came to about $30 a person though for a little less than two bottles of Pliny each.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm gonna give it a shot.

I had never even heard of the barcade a week ago. Now I've heard two people rave about it, so I guess word is spreading quickly and it must be great.

Yeah it is a great place, they have a few locations but I have only been to the one in JC. Awesome selection that is constantly changing, and who doesn't love 80s arcade games?! Def an awesome place.

Went to Joe canals in iselin today and picked up a mix n match six pack as well as a unibraoue sampler set. So far I had the dogfish midas touch beer which is the one they brew based off an ancient beer recipe they found. It has barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron. Very interesting to say the least and kinda tasted like a cross between champagne, hard Apple cider and beer.

Went to Joe canals in iselin today and picked up a mix n match six pack as well as a unibraoue sampler set. So far I had the dogfish midas touch beer which is the one they brew based off an ancient beer recipe they found. It has barley, honey, white muscat grapes and saffron. Very interesting to say the least and kinda tasted like a cross between champagne, hard Apple cider and beer.

Nice! Unibroue is great, Le Fin du Monde is great, and really gets the job done.

Looking forward to getting it fresh when i'm in Canada in a few weeks.

Finally made it to Triumph in Princeton after the Titans home opener last night. Crazy game by the way, 8-5 win. I had four beers, the Pumpkin Ale, Old Tom Ale, Irish Dry Stout, and Bengal Gold IPA. The pumpkin ale was one of the best I've had, perfect balance between spices and pumpkin flavor. The Old Tom is a cask-conditioned real ale and was very awesome, very drinkable too because of the low carbonation. The Irish stout was also real good, especially for the style which I find usually too watered-down, but this one was full of flavor while still being an Irish dry stout. I found the IPA to be very good also. Can't wait to go back, and with the Titans offering a package of four lower level tickets, four hot dogs, and four sodas all for just $48 I'm sure I'll be making it to more Titans games and stopping at Triumph on the way home again.

I think they have a few based on ancient recipes, but yea that is one good beer. It was one of the first beers I had that made me realize there actually is good beer out there.

Nice! Unibroue is great, Le Fin du Monde is great, and really gets the job done.

Looking forward to getting it fresh when i'm in Canada in a few weeks.

I had that as my first from the pack and it was very excellent. Had to break out my pilsner glasses for this and it was quite delicious.

Finally made it to Triumph in Princeton after the Titans home opener last night. Crazy game by the way, 8-5 win. I had four beers, the Pumpkin Ale, Old Tom Ale, Irish Dry Stout, and Bengal Gold IPA. The pumpkin ale was one of the best I've had, perfect balance between spices and pumpkin flavor. The Old Tom is a cask-conditioned real ale and was very awesome, very drinkable too because of the low carbonation. The Irish stout was also real good, especially for the style which I find usually too watered-down, but this one was full of flavor while still being an Irish dry stout. I found the IPA to be very good also. Can't wait to go back, and with the Titans offering a package of four lower level tickets, four hot dogs, and four sodas all for just $48 I'm sure I'll be making it to more Titans games and stopping at Triumph on the way home again.

I think they have a few based on ancient recipes, but yea that is one good beer. It was one of the first beers I had that made me realize there actually is good beer out there.

Triumph is great, especially the Princeton and New Hope locations (I think the Philly one is the weakest). I spend more of my time at the New Hope location which is funny because Princeton is literally 20 min from me compared to New Hope which is about 35-40 minutes from me, but New Hope has trivia night so I cannot resist.

Their pumpkin IMO is the best pumpkin around. Perfect balance of everything and unlike many other pumpkins, this one is quite refreshing.

Bengal Gold is also very good and according to the bartender at the New Hope location, it is usually the most popular on tap. I tend to stay away from IPA's but theirs is one of the exceptions.

Also about Triumph, to me it is still one of the few brewpubs around where the food is also quite good and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Their burger is excellent and they have a very good Oktoberfest menu as well. My parents (both born and raised in Germany) have said Triumph is probably the best German food they have tasted from a restaurant in quite some time.

I was in Philly 3 weeks ago and found Triumph but it was packed and they didnt give tours without a reservation in advance so we went around the corner to a different bar, I dont remember the name of it, but we had popcorn that was poped in bacon fat and then dusted with cajun seasoing. My two friends didnt like it, it was to "spicy" for them :rolleyes: but I really liked it as far as bar food goes. I also had a smoked stout they called it that was really awesome. Ill dig around and see if I can find the name of the place. They had a decent list of beers on tap that were different. It was a block over from Triumph in Philly.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in the city on Monday for Conan taping. Wandered over to Union Square and found Heartland Brewery. They are in a few spots around the city. Anyway had a few of their beers and food. Awesome place and great prices.

Had their Smiling Pumpkin Ale that was on tap.....just an awesome pumpkin beer, their Empire Premium Beer (That was a very light and sweet ale) and a Stumpkin which is a Smiling Pumpkin Ale mixed with their dark Guinness like ale that has hints of chocolate in it. That was freaking awesome also. The staff were all really cool, young, and in costumes. Our waiter was one of the 2 Ambiguously Gay Duo and another waiter was the other one. He also knew what he was talking about when it came to their beer.

The food was really good also. Between 3 of us, eating a ceaser salad, a pu pu plater of their 5 best appetizers, 6 beers, a glass of their house made soda, and steamed wontons it was like 80 dollars total. For a brewery in NYC, thats damn good.

I highly recommend going to this place if your ever in the city. Seriously.

Heartland Brewery NYC

Also if you "like" them on facebook and then show them proof, you get a free housemade beer.

Was in the city on Monday for Conan taping. Wandered over to Union Square and found Heartland Brewery. They are in a few spots around the city. Anyway had a few of their beers and food. Awesome place and great prices.

Had their Smiling Pumpkin Ale that was on tap.....just an awesome pumpkin beer, their Empire Premium Beer (That was a very light and sweet ale) and a Stumpkin which is a Smiling Pumpkin Ale mixed with their dark Guinness like ale that has hints of chocolate in it. That was freaking awesome also. The staff were all really cool, young, and in costumes. Our waiter was one of the 2 Ambiguously Gay Duo and another waiter was the other one. He also knew what he was talking about when it came to their beer.

The food was really good also. Between 3 of us, eating a ceaser salad, a pu pu plater of their 5 best appetizers, 6 beers, a glass of their house made soda, and steamed wontons it was like 80 dollars total. For a brewery in NYC, thats damn good.

I highly recommend going to this place if your ever in the city. Seriously.

Heartland Brewery NYC

Also if you "like" them on facebook and then show them proof, you get a free housemade beer.

Heartland is pretty decent. I was last over at the one in the Port Authority Bus Terminal over the summer and had the Apricot Ale or Apricot Wheat Ale or something with Apricot in it and it was fairly decent. From what I remember an employee telling me a while back that they really do not brew much if at all on-premesis anymore, but it is still brewed in New York City and I think they said rent brewery space from a larger company ( I think it might be Brooklyn).

Decent food that is not overpriced which is somewhat rare for a brewpub.

Also I recently found out a place in Lower East Side (Maybe East Village?) called Jimmy's No.43. It is a cool place that features a wide variety of craft beers and some decent-sounding food. They also have for a fixed price and food and beer pairing dinner for about $45 a person and I believe it is about 4 or 5 courses. Here is the link to their website and beer list:

Jimmy No.43 Beer List

Managed to snag myself a six-pack of Troeg's Mad Elf Ale this weekend...first time I've ever been able to find the stuff.

In another couple of weeks, you won't be able to find it anywhere.

Brewed with honey and cherries...and packs a decent 11% ABV.

Holla!