BEER

TrentonDevils

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat tastes like fruity pebbles. Not bad but after 2 or 3 you cant drink them without thinking of the cereal.

Leinekugel's has some pretty decent beer though. Their Honey Weiss and Berry Weiss and Red Lager are all good beers.

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat tastes like fruity pebbles. Not bad but after 2 or 3 you cant drink them without thinking of the cereal.

Leinekugel's has some pretty decent beer though. Their Honey Weiss and Berry Weiss and Red Lager are all good beers.

Meh they are owned by SAB Miller, I'd rather support small business owners who are actually passionate about beer, not the corporate executives who try to knock the little guys out of the marketplace with lobbying and bribes rather than making a better product.

Meh they are owned by SAB Miller, I'd rather support small business owners who are actually passionate about beer, not the corporate executives who try to knock the little guys out of the marketplace with lobbying and bribes rather than making a better product.

Agreed. I really only go to Leinenkugel if there is nothing else better around. Otherwise I tend to avoid it. It is alright in terms of taste, but the way it is marketed and designed to look like a microbrew when it is in fact brewed by one of the largest brewers in the world just rubs me the wrong way.

Managed to snag myself a six-pack of Troeg's Mad Elf Ale this weekend...first time I've ever been able to find the stuff.

In another couple of weeks, you won't be able to find it anywhere.

Brewed with honey and cherries...and packs a decent 11% ABV.

Holla!

For something with such a high ABV, that stuff tastes surprisingly good.

Agreed. I really only go to Leinenkugel if there is nothing else better around. Otherwise I tend to avoid it. It is alright in terms of taste, but the way it is marketed and designed to look like a microbrew when it is in fact brewed by one of the largest brewers in the world just rubs me the wrong way.

Wasnt aware that they were a product of SAB Miller. I didnt do much research to tell you the truth about the beer. Knowing it now, I dont think I would buy it again. Thanks for filling me in fellers.

But if you like it why not get it?

You drink what you like -- everything else is just bullsh!t.

If Miller starts producing a great beer I'd drink ABSOLUTELY. Otherwise you're just encouraging them to keep bottling piss water. raise the whole standard. Snobbery is more guilty of killing quality beer than supporting the purchase of bottled horsepiss.

yeah... I'm pretty much parroting Lew :giggle: but because he's right! and he makes his living drinking and writing about it :evil: more than SOME "connoisseurs" here can say <_<:giggle:

If Miller starts producing a great beer I'd drink ABSOLUTELY. Otherwise you're just encouraging them to keep bottling piss water. raise the whole standard. Snobbery is more guilty of killing quality beer than supporting the purchase of bottled horsepiss.

yeah... I'm pretty much parroting Lew :giggle: but because he's right! and he makes his living drinking and writing about it :evil: more than SOME "connoisseurs" here can say <_<:giggle:

I highly doubt that the execs at miller decided one day to make a better tasting beer for the purpose of raising their standards after spending a lot of money on ads telling people how great their piss water tastes and making a ton of money off of it. If it want for the microbrew movement in recent times, they probably wouldn't have made leinenkugel. They only made it to pander to those who want to drink a better beer and just do not know better. A lot of people are right now drinking this stuff thinking they are a microbrew and that is what miller wants. Hell most people who drink blue moon and brag about it like they are drinking craft beer do not know it is made by coors. It just had corporate knockoff written all over it.

Plus the beer is only so so.

I don't consider it snobbery, I just care about where my money goes. Buying MillerCoor's and Anheuser-Busch's make-believe craft beers is going to hurt the small breweries more than it will convince the big guys to make better beer. They are not interested in making better beer, they know what they make sucks but it is cheap to produce, so they market the hell out of it so people think it is good, and they buy up small breweries and then purposely run them into the ground. They offer free kegs and cases to bars and stores if they agree to stop selling beer by craft brewery X even though this is illegal in many places. They produce craft-like beers and support it for a little while until it knocks out competitors of a similar style, and then they stop producing it. They don't care about beer, they don't respect beer, they just do whatever it takes to dominate the beer industry in the cheapest way possible because their goal is to make their stock rise, not to produce quality beer. I don't want a penny of mine to support what they do. I would much rather support American entrepreneurs who are passionate about beer than some corporate executive of a foreign-owned beer corporation who is only passionate about profit and sees cheap beer as a path to that goal and good beer as an obstacle he must eliminate rather than embrace. The way I see it, to let your money go to Anheuser-Bush or MillerCoors is to fund the beer industry's biggest enemy.

Also, this is worth reading.

Edited by devilsfan26

Just weigh in on the NYC beer spots, if you ever find yourself all the way on the East side, David Copperfields is a pretty good beer spot. Food is quite good, reasonably priced and they have 30 taps, plus a wide selection of bottles. The bartenders generally know their stuff and they are constantly getting new stuff in, so it's always an experience. For me it's nice as it's literally a minute walk from my apartment, so if you ever decide to go, 74th and York is the location.

Edited by Bulletproof

Just weigh in on the NYC beer spots, if you ever find yourself all the way on the East side, David Copperfields is a pretty good beer spot. Food is quite good, reasonably priced and they have 30 taps, plus a wide selection of bottles. The bartenders generally know their stuff and they are constantly getting new stuff in, so it's always an experience. For me it's nice as it's literally a minute walk from my apartment, so if you ever decide to go, 74th and York is the location.

Looked at their website and it looks good. I might have to try it sometime.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but there is a place in the village called Peculier that serves over 300 different beers. Most are bottled but their beer list reads like an index section in the back of a book lol. They also got a decent amount on tap. The thing about this place is that it is kind of a dive and not sure how the food is. Go have a look at the beer list.

Peculier Beer List

Edited by DevsMan84

I don't consider it snobbery, I just care about where my money goes. Buying MillerCoor's and Anheuser-Busch's make-believe craft beers is going to hurt the small breweries more than it will convince the big guys to make better beer.

I understood your point - walmart closing down the mom&pop hardware etc. You see it as beer drinkers buying down I see it as hi-life drinkers buying up. I have no problem with that - our goal is the same.

FYI - I don't count you as a beer snob nor a self-proclaimed connoisseur. I proclaim you a connoisseur in training!

I understood your point - walmart closing down the mom&pop hardware etc. You see it as beer drinkers buying down I see it as hi-life drinkers buying up. I have no problem with that - our goal is the same.

FYI - I don't count you as a beer snob nor a self-proclaimed connoisseur. I proclaim you a connoisseur in training!

That's true, sometimes the make-believe craft beers are a gateway to real craft beers. I started out with stuff like Blue Moon and Killian's etc.

As for the label, thanks I suppose lol.

Heading over to oak tree in south plainfield later today to see what I can find.

That reminds me of the Bier Baron (formerly Brickskeller) in D.C.

About 450 bottled beers

And about 50 on tap

Pizzeria Paradiso also has a solid selection (and some damn good pies to boot).

Nice. It seems like lately DC has grown into a place with good food and bars.

Managed to snag myself a six-pack of Troeg's Mad Elf Ale this weekend...first time I've ever been able to find the stuff.

In another couple of weeks, you won't be able to find it anywhere.

Brewed with honey and cherries...and packs a decent 11% ABV.

Holla!

I am at oak tree right now and they have a ton of mad elf.

I just came back from oak tree and I have to say it blows Joe canals out of the water. The beer selection is basically like an index of beers and I actually felt pretty overwhelmed. Walked out with seven bottles ranging in price from 1.50 a bottle to 7 a bottle. they also have beers from all parts of the globe and I think this will be my new go to place for beer

They do have a ridiculous selection, but I usually go to Joe Canal's first because the guys at Joe Canal's are much more helpful and recognized me enough to make sure I got a bottle of CBS. The guy at Oak Tree always comes off as an ass whenever I'm in there. He never says a word and never gives out limited releases except to their little inner circle of people who are there on a weekly basis. There used to be a guy there, Matt I think, that was really cool and would have a conversation with you all the time and made recommendations and stuff, but this new guy just doesn't care about you unless you are there all the time.

With that said, if I want something that isn't at Joe Canal's, Oak Tree is my go to spot. They are close enough that I can go straight from one to the other and then back home.

Edited by devilsfan26

Nice. It seems like lately DC has grown into a place with good food and bars.

The two places I listed are within walking distance of each other in the DuPont Circle area, FWIW. I've only been to each once, and was happy with everything I sampled. My girlfriend's cousin snapped this pic of our sampling at Pizzeria Paradiso:

post-1914-0-19457800-1321391733_thumb.jp

My only disappointment was that they had run out of the cask ale they were featuring at the time.

The two places I listed are within walking distance of each other in the DuPont Circle area, FWIW. I've only been to each once, and was happy with everything I sampled. My girlfriend's cousin snapped this pic of our sampling at Pizzeria Paradiso:

post-1914-0-19457800-1321391733_thumb.jp

My only disappointment was that they had run out of the cask ale they were featuring at the time.

That one in the middle, is that Kostritzer Schwarzbier? I just had that on tap at a German biergarten/restaurant in NYC last week. A dark beer that is refreshingly light -- if that makes any sense.

I held onto some Dogfish Head Olde School I picked up last year so I can do a side-by-side with a fresh one this year, but everywhere I've called so far is already sold out. I had no problem picking this stuff up last year, and now it's impossible...so annoying. Has anyone seen this stuff anywhere?

I just drank a Southern Teir Black Water Series Imperial Creme Brulee Stout (brewed with vanilla beans).....Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome beer. Make sure that you drink it super cold though otherwise its nto as good. They suggest you drink it at 42 degrees.

img_0055.jpeg

Edited by Quinn01

That one in the middle, is that Kostritzer Schwarzbier? I just had that on tap at a German biergarten/restaurant in NYC last week. A dark beer that is refreshingly light -- if that makes any sense.

I think you're right. I didn't have it though, my GF's cuz did. He seemed happy with it. The best one of that bunch that I tried was the Dorothy Goodbody's Stout. That stuff was ridiculously good.

Just poured myself a Rogue Yellow Snow IPA waiting for the game to start. Bought it a few times last year, but only in a growler. Saw it today at bottle king in 6-packs.

Also had some Ithaca Flower Power over the weekend. One of the best IPAs I have tried in a while. It has the perfect amount of citrus taste and aroma. I definitely recommend it.

Edited by NJD_3_Cups

I just drank a Southern Teir Black Water Series Imperial Creme Brulee Stout (brewed with vanilla beans).....Awesome. Awesome awesome awesome beer. Make sure that you drink it super cold though otherwise its nto as good. They suggest you drink it at 42 degrees.

img_0055.jpeg

That sounds good for some reason. And cold beer? that seems Miller light territory