BEER

TrentonDevils

Here is a nice write-up about a nano-brewery that is set to open up around Memorial Day in Hillsborough: Flounder Brewing.

Hillsborough Patch

Just to update this post, it looks like Flounder ran into a problem with his engineer. They basically have to halt construction and instead go with electric instead of gas for their burners. According to Flounder on his Facebook, it looks like this pushed back his "opening" about 2 months so figure about July.

In terms of beer distrubition part of this proposal, I know the guys behind JJ Bittings are the ones really pushing this through and have been for at least a year now.

As for more allowing more than 2 brewpubs in the state, I do remember about a year ago very faint whispers and rumors that Triumph Brewing Company was looking to open up another location in NJ to add to the 3 already open (Princeton, New Hope, and Philly). The rumored location was the Red Bank area but again it was only very faint rumors and haven't heard much about it in a while.

Bought Sam Adam's Blackberry Whitbier last night just for the hell of it. I usually like Sam Adam's but this one is very....watered down tasting. Burping after tastes more of blackberry then the beer itself. Has anyone else tried this beer before?

They also have a Cherry one that I was debating getting but I went with blackberry.

Bought Sam Adam's Blackberry Whitbier last night just for the hell of it. I usually like Sam Adam's but this one is very....watered down tasting. Burping after tastes more of blackberry then the beer itself. Has anyone else tried this beer before?

They also have a Cherry one that I was debating getting but I went with blackberry.

Yeah I have a 6-pack of the Blackberry Witbier in my fridge now. I think it is pretty solid, but I still like the Cherry better.

I had a similar experience with what you wrote with Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale. It has to be the sweetest and by far the most carbonated beer I have ever had. Just to down it because my mouth fills with bubbles when I drink it is pretty hard to do. I am not sure if I have a bad batch or something but for Blueberry I am sticking with Blue Point.

DM- IDK lately I have been really into beers with fruit in them, even during this "winter." I haven't been into the winter beers this winter I guess because the weather is more like early spring than the frigid cold of winter and warming yourself up with a nice Winter Ale or Stout beer. Winter.

Sam Adams also recently released their spring seasonal "Alpine Spring" that is quite good. I like it about the same as last year's Noble Pils but I think the name Alpine Spring makes it sound like a soap.

Edited by DevsMan84

Yeah I have a 6-pack of the Blackberry Witbier in my fridge now. I think it is pretty solid, but I still like the Cherry better.

I had a similar experience with what you wrote with Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale. It has to be the sweetest and by far the most carbonated beer I have ever had. Just to down it because my mouth fills with bubbles when I drink it is pretty hard to do. I am not sure if I have a bad batch or something but for Blueberry I am sticking with Blue Point.

DM- IDK lately I have been really into beers with fruit in them, even during this "winter." I haven't been into the winter beers this winter I guess because the weather is more like early spring than the frigid cold of winter and warming yourself up with a nice Winter Ale or Stout beer. Winter.

Sam Adams also recently released their spring seasonal "Alpine Spring" that is quite good. I like it about the same as last year's Noble Pils but I think the name Alpine Spring makes it sound like a soap.

I have had Wild Blue before but it was just WAY to blueberry and sweet. If I were to get a Blueberry ale, id go with Sea Dog Bluepaw. I saw Sam Adam's Alpine spring and was thinking the same thing how it sounds like a soap company or something. Ill most likely get that next.

Not sure if anyone has seen the Beerjobber site. I signed up and placed my first order this week, supposed to be delivered next week. I ordered an IPA from South Dakota and some tall fellers from Wyoming.

It's a bit pricey, with the shipping and all, but still cheaper than good beer you will buy in a pub, and they have lots of beers you won't see in NJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the Rouge Hazelnut Brown Nectar the other day.....freaking awesome.

rogue-hazelnut-brown-nectar.jpg?w=470

I actually drank it while eating fish and chips which worked out pretty well. Then again, anything deep fried with any beer is usually a safe bet.

I finally got around to trying it. That stuff is awesome!

Do you guys like flavored coffee?

I'm not being sarcastic or judging I just wondered. I hate flavored coffee. I hate sugar in coffee - to me all that makes it taste revolting. but I do like lactose sweetness so I have milk or cream in coffee - steamed milk is the sweetest! YUM!

Can anyone here NOT taste that food coloring taste in cake frosting? My brother-in-law (both married in to the family) and I can't handle it - we're piggies but we never have the cakes the family gets. No one in my husbands family can taste that awful food coloring taste! :yucky:

I'm just interested from the beer tasting angle. I wonder who of us can, with some certainty, assume we're taste the same thing.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I drink regular coffee every day, black, no sugar, no milk or cream.

I used to drink it light and sweet, but after a while, because it was loaded up with so much extra stuff, it got so I couldn't even taste the coffee anymore. That's why I stopped putting anything in it. I don't drink hazelnut- or French vanilla-flavored coffees anymore either.

As for me liking that hazelnut brown nectar beer, I wouldn't drink a bunch of them in one sitting. Usually when I drink craft beers, I like to mix it up. I'll have a stout, then maybe an ale, then maybe an IPA, then maybe a pilsner to freshen the palate and then back to whatever.

Do you guys like flavored coffee?

I'm not being sarcastic or judging I just wondered. I hate flavored coffee. I hate sugar in coffee - to me all that makes it taste revolting. but I do like lactose sweetness so I have milk or cream in coffee - steamed milk is the sweetest! YUM!

Can anyone here NOT taste that food coloring taste in cake frosting? My brother-in-law (both married in to the family) and I can't handle it - we're piggies but we never have the cakes the family gets. No one in my husbands family can taste that awful food coloring taste! :yucky:

I'm just interested from the beer tasting angle. I wonder who of us can, with some certainty, assume we're taste the same thing.

I don't really like any kind of coffee, though when Quick Chek comes out with their pumpkin spice cappuccino, I'll get that a couple times before it's gone. I do like coffee stouts though. I hate cake frosting, I always scrape it off.

Edited by devilsfan26

I hate cake frosting, I always scrape it off.

:blink::saddevil::evilcry:

WHYYYYYYY!!!!? Ugh That's the best part.

As for my drink preferences lately, I'm all about Crispin Apple/Pear Cider.

I had a JK Scrumpy Farm house hard cider - that was good. Appley not just cidery. It was cool! Ciders here I liek best organic -- I just find they taste better for some weird reason.

I hate lambics - they seem good at first but then they're just disgusting!

95crash made me realise I dont think I drink the same beer twice in a row. I have a variety if I have more than one.

I've been on a craft beer spree lately. Not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of Sam Adams - just couldn't drink it during the Super Bowl - bad juju. But I've been after the 'big-bottle' varieties lately. I've had all the "Small Batch Collection" varieties except for the one called Vixen (Chocolate Chili Bock) These are the other ones in the collection:

Griffin's Bow - barleywine

Tasman Red - Red IPA

Third Voyage - Double IPA

Dark Depths - Blatic IPA

Cinder Bock - Rauch Bock

and there are 2 more coming out - Norse Legend Sahti and Verloren Gose (verloren being German referring to a 'lost' art of brewing)

Then there's the Barrel Room Collection

American Kreik - good stuff if you like cherry

Thirteenth Hour - stout

New World - Tripel

(There was a 4th I've never had, cause it's been discontinued - Stony Brook Red)

These are all pretty good imo, all generally come from the same start, then the brewers were allowed to play around and experiment in the barrel room while the beer aged. They come in big corked bottles and they're going to run you about $7-8 depending on the store - all these are not generally recommended for "everyday" consumption.

And of course I've had Infinium. in 2010 when they made it, the price was ~$20 and was pretty rare - only "2 pallets" were distributed to NJ. Managed to get a hold of 4 bottles then.

They made it again in 2011 and just last week found a place that still stocked it, figured it'd be gone again esp by March. Worked with the oldest brewery in the world - Weihenstephan in Bavaria (been around since 1040), another one of my fav brands. 10% alc. It's like they made champagne out of beer.

Never had Utopias but would love to one day. Also had almost all their varieties I could find in stores over the years.

Other than that, getting into Brooklyn beer. Just got their Local 1 and Local 2 and even one they claim "doesn't exist" - Brooklyn Black Ops, can't wait to try them soon.

I like a lot of different beers, Sam of course being my favorite. I just like to enjoy my beer instead of chugging it down to get drunk. Bud, Coors, Miller all the conglomerate stuff is swill to me, I'll drink it if I have to, like at a party or $1 draft night, but wouldn't buy it for myself.

I think my big challenge lately has been finding places that actually have the big craft collection they advertise. most are just 3 shelves, about 6' wide and stuff I'd be a little apprehensive to try.

I work in Somerset and my bro lives in Edison so I checked out Oak Tree in south plainfield when I was out that way, real nice - whole back wall is craft. For western NJ - Bourbon Street surprised me, a whole side of an aisle was craft.

anyway, for those that like sam and brooklyn, there's some suggestions...

• 3 weeks later...

Crap, I just found out that I missed out on a recent shipment of Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. I don't know if I'm ever going to be able to try that stuff.

:argh:

It's hard to get a bottle of that since stores tend to keep a list of preferred customers and only hand out the bottles to people on the list. It wasn't always like this, a couple years ago you were able to buy a 4-pack no problem as long as you knew when to go to the store.

Your best bet is to attend a Founders tap takeover event. Looks like there is one in Manhattan tonight and no more listed in this area right now, but sometimes events are added just weeks beforehand so it's good to keep checking that page regularly. Also Philly Beer Week is in June and Founders had a few great events for that last year so I'm expecting they will be around again this time too hopefully.

It's hard to get a bottle of that since stores tend to keep a list of preferred customers and only hand out the bottles to people on the list. It wasn't always like this, a couple years ago you were able to buy a 4-pack no problem as long as you knew when to go to the store.

Your best bet is to attend a Founders tap takeover event. Looks like there is one in Manhattan tonight and no more listed in this area right now, but sometimes events are added just weeks beforehand so it's good to keep checking that page regularly. Also Philly Beer Week is in June and Founders had a few great events for that last year so I'm expecting they will be around again this time too hopefully.

Thanks, yesterday I contacted one of the liquor stores I occasionally go to, and they advised me to get on their Beer List. Maybe next time I'll have a shot at getting a bottle or two.

Thanks, yesterday I contacted one of the liquor stores I occasionally go to, and they advised me to get on their Beer List. Maybe next time I'll have a shot at getting a bottle or two.

Yea it helps to pop in on a regular basis and talk to the beer guy. They tend to keep these limited release beers in the back for people they recognize.