BEER

TrentonDevils

Great read. I've been to some of the places the mentioned, I've got a couple places to try this summer now.

Ship Inn is great. Awesome food, good beer. I had a porter there a couple years ago that was to die for.

I've been or tried all that was mentioned in the article except ship inn. Just kinda out of the way for me. I do have to say that trap rock is def underrated while I think harvest moon is slightly overrated. Long valley brew pub still is the hidden gem in that collection and their awards for their beers speaks volumes for that. Was there last week and it was excellent as always.

I like red Ales. I guess I will pick it up, but I hate overpowering Elmers glue hops. If its that strong I will pass.

I like hops, but I don't like the recent trend of packing more hops in at the expense of other flavors. A good pale ale packs a punch, but there's something else going on. Pure hops are just boring.

• 4 weeks later...

Had Founders Cerise beer the other night and it was probably the most fruity of the fruit beers I have ever had. However, it tasted very medicine-y and quite frankly not that pleasant to drink.

Every Founders beer I have had were duds. IDK a lot of people seem to like them but I think Founders thinks taste = high alcohol content and overpowering flavors. All their beers taste the same to me.

Oh man really?? They are easily my favorite brewery. I'm not a big fan of Cerise though. What other beers have you had by them?

Backwoods Bastard and KBS are phenomenal, but are kind of hard to find. Some of their rare tap-only beers are easily among the best in the world, like Canadian Breakfast Stout, Cashew Mountain Brown, and Curmudgeon's Better Half. But hey if you don't like them then good, more for me!

For Independence Day this year I'll be picking up a Yards Ales of the Revolution variety pack. Each of these beers is based on a historical figure's recipe.

General Washington's Tavern Porter

Thomas Jefferson's Tavern Ale

Poor Richard's Tavern Spruce

Oh man really?? They are easily my favorite brewery. I'm not a big fan of Cerise though. What other beers have you had by them?

Backwoods Bastard and KBS are phenomenal, but are kind of hard to find. Some of their rare tap-only beers are easily among the best in the world, like Canadian Breakfast Stout, Cashew Mountain Brown, and Curmudgeon's Better Half. But hey if you don't like them then good, more for me!

For Independence Day this year I'll be picking up a Yards Ales of the Revolution variety pack. Each of these beers is based on a historical figure's recipe.

Haven't tried Poor Richard's, but I love the Yards Revolution beers.

On the subject of Founders, I've liked what I've had from them. Just got the Dirty Bastard Scotch ale, which is as good as any of the imports I've gotten from Scotland.

I've had cerise, kbs and bastard and really wasnt blown away by any. Kbs was the best out of the three I would say with bastard and then cerise following but they were all just meh to me. I guess they just do not resonate with me.

As for favorite breweries that is tough for me. I like Sam Adams line up, love dogfish head and river horse, and really digging the carton from Atlantic highlands recently. I also like the beers from triumph, trap rock and long valley brew pub.

As for yards those ales of the revolution are excellent. My favorite is the tavern spruce followed by Jefferson's tavern ale.

Got hell or high watermelon today. cant wait to try it later tonight. I dont think I have ever been this excited for a beer all because of what was said about it in this topic.

I got a couple of 6-packs about a month ago. Still have a couple of cans left and great for tailgating.

I have to say, I shared this 6 pack with a buddy of mine and I wasnt to impressed. It was to "watered down" for my liking. I can tell that this brewery has good beer but I dont know if I would get that beer again. :unsure:

I have to say, I shared this 6 pack with a buddy of mine and I wasnt to impressed. It was to "watered down" for my liking. I can tell that this brewery has good beer but I dont know if I would get that beer again. :unsure:

While I do like it I feel last years batch was better. It is a fruit beer meant to be downed on hot days pure and simple. Right now I'm into fruit beers and saisons this summer.

While I do like it I feel last years batch was better. It is a fruit beer meant to be downed on hot days pure and simple. Right now I'm into fruit beers and saisons this summer.

Yeah I hear you. I always enjoy fruity beers over anything else. I guess the problem with watermelon is its a "watery" fruit to begin with so you add that to a beer and its oging to taste like its watered down to start. It was super light and if I were actually outside today working it would have been alot better.

I think the base of that beer is a little weak and that's probably what you're talking about. I enjoy the beer as a nice refreshing summer beer, but I think it could be great if they went a little heavier on the wheat and maybe toned down the carbonation so it wouldn't be as light and fizzy.

I've had cerise, kbs and bastard and really wasnt blown away by any. Kbs was the best out of the three I would say with bastard and then cerise following but they were all just meh to me. I guess they just do not resonate with me.

As for favorite breweries that is tough for me. I like Sam Adams line up, love dogfish head and river horse, and really digging the carton from Atlantic highlands recently. I also like the beers from triumph, trap rock and long valley brew pub.

As for yards those ales of the revolution are excellent. My favorite is the tavern spruce followed by Jefferson's tavern ale.

I gotta hand it to you, judging from your stated tastes, you really do a good job of not only supporting, but also favoring, your local breweries. Practically every brewery you mentioned is from New Jersey or its surrounding areas.

Edited by 95Crash

I think the base of that beer is a little weak and that's probably what you're talking about. I enjoy the beer as a nice refreshing summer beer, but I think it could be great if they went a little heavier on the wheat and maybe toned down the carbonation so it wouldn't be as light and fizzy.

Yeah thats a good way to put it.

I gotta hand it to you, judging from your stated tastes, you really do a good job of not only supporting, but also favoring, your local breweries. Practically every brewery you mentioned is from New Jersey or its surrounding areas.

Yeah and the funny thing is there is no conscience effort on my part on that. It just happens to be that.

I think some of the theories to that is I feel local brews are fresher tasting. A lot of smaller breweries out west (like all small breweries) do not have a wide distribution network and by the time a lot of them reach here, they are not exactly as fresh as I would think their brewers would like it to be for the consumer. Another thing is I really prefer the German-style of brewing and a lot of brewers on the east coast, in particular eastern PA and NJ area have that same sort of style. Same goes for a lot in the Great Lakes area. A lot of breweries in the Pacific Northwest and west coast are more dependant on IPAs, Porters and Stouts and heavier beers in general that the Germans are not really that known for.

The one west coast brewery that I really like is 21st Amendment. However I will admit their Hell or High Watermelon is not as good as last year's batch and I hate the fact that all their beers are only available in cans.

I tried it at home once in the evening and honestly I thought it was just alright. However when I brought it to the beach on a day when it was almost 100 degrees and after it is has been in my cooler for a few hours, it tasted like drinking magical angel beer.

A couple of wheat beers I tried recently and liked --

from High Point Brewing Company (Butler, NJ):

labeldoubplat.jpg

http://beeradvocate....file/607/37776/

and from Sierra Nevada Brewing Company (Chico, Calif.):

2010_Beer_Kellerweis.jpg

http://beeradvocate....file/140/48434/

I keep forgetting about High Point as well as Cricket Hill. I have to be on the lookout for that High Point beer as it sounds great.

Just picked up 6 packs of Sly Fox IPA and Pils for beach this weekend. I'll get back with opinions Monday. I loved ntheir winter ale, so I have high hopes.

I am in San Bernardino, California currently enjoying a Pliny the Elder, bottled twelve days ago. This IPA is widely regarded as one of the top three in the world and is only available in California. For a beer that smacks you in the face with hops, it is incredibly smooth and drinkable.

Sweet! I am going to be out in California at the end of August. Maybe I will be able to find it while I'm there.

Just picked up 6 packs of Sly Fox IPA and Pils for beach this weekend. I'll get back with opinions Monday. I loved ntheir winter ale, so I have high hopes.

The prima pils was really good. I don't usually go for pilsner, but for a beach weekend, I made an exception, and it paid off. This one was surprisingly flavorful, a little hoppy for a pils, but still refreshing and easy to drink. One of the best hot day beers I've had in awhile.

The IPA was good. Nothing exceptional, but nothing wrong. Somebody else brought Stone IPA, which is one of my all time favorites, so the comparison certainly didn't help. I'd def drink the Sly Fox again, but would't go crazy to get it.