BEER

TrentonDevils

So the rock raise the beer prices by 75 cents. a domestic is now 8.75, and a molson is 9.75 now. I could understand maybe a quarter or 50 cents but jesus.

On a seperate note i love pumpkin beer season and i've had about a dozen or so already;

Jack-O-Traveler, from the traveler beer company, which is owned by boston beer, made this pumpkin shandy. Sounds gross right? The stuff is actually outta this world good. I've never heard of a pumpkin shandy before, idk if they're the first, but the stuff is awesome.

Pumple Drumkin, from Cisco Brewing in Nantucket comes in an adorable little orange can, as for the beer itself its mediocre. Not much pumpkin taste, but better than some of the others i've tried.

Long Trail's new Brush & Barrel series came out with their first beer just called Imperial Pumpkin. I've had it twice and of all the ones i have tried, this is the one i like the most. A real nice balance of all the flavors, not too watery but not too thick either.

River Horse's Hipp-O-Lantern was absolutely awesome. It's only a 4Pk, but its 8.1 and you cannot even tell its that strong. Not too overpowering with the pumpkin either. This and the Brush & Barrel Long Trail are pretty close.

I was really excited to try the Dogfish Head Punkin, so i bought the 2nd to last 4Pk we had, and a co-worker bought the last one. Well i cracked one open before i left work and it was atrocious, i let my co-worker try it too and we just returned the 2nd 4Pk and split 2 beers apiece. Its got the worst after taste of any pumpkin i've ever had. Imagine putting a handful of pennies in your mouth. It tastes like straight metal. Terrible beer.

I had Sam Adams Fat Jack, it's the same as last years. Solid pumpkin beer, better than average, but nothing to write home about. I've yet to have harvest pumpkin just because you can only drink so many beers but im sure its the same as last year.

I bought a 4Pk of the Elysian Pumpkin Patch 22Ozs, from Seattle. It comes with; Hansel & Gretel a Czech ginger pumpkin pilsner, Dark O' The Moon a pumpkin stout, Night Owl a pumpkin ale, and The Great Pumpkin an imperial pumpkin. I've only had the night owl so far and that was very very good. Take beer advocate scores for what they're worth but that's 3 out of 4 pumpkin beers ranked in the top 30 in one box(#6 TGP, #26 DOTM, and #30 NO).

I also had Trick Or Treat from Evil Genius out of Cooperstown. Its a chocolate pumpkin, except i dont quite see where the pumpkin is. Its very good don't get me wrong, but it's basically just a chocolate porter with the slightest hint of pumpkin.

I know its not pumpkin but i also had Abita Pecan. It's pretty damn good, it's not too overly flavored with pecan but the taste is there every sip. Pretty good.

Also has Terrapin's Recreational Ale. I like hoppy beers when they're done right and this is actually awesome. It doesn't taste like a normal boring hoppy beer you've had time and time again. Idk how to describe it right but it just tastes really really fresh.

I tried Wells Banana Bread, its okay, no real overpowering flavors, just meh.

I like Abita Pecan. Nice flavor -- very subtle.

It is still Oktoberfest season, so I've been trying a few of those types of beers the past few days. Traditionally, I usually stick to Spaten Oktoberfest, but I had not realized that it gets only so-so ratings from reviewers. So this year, I decided I'm going to drink anything but that.

So far, I've tried Hooker Oktoberfest, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, and Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, liking them all so far. I also bought Ayinger Oktoberfest because I heard great things about it, but I haven't yet opened a bottle -- perhaps tomorrow.

A few other Oktoberfest beers that get very good ratings that I'd like to try but haven't yet found in stores are Ramstein's Oktoberfest, Avery's The Kaiser, Staghorn Oktoberfest from New Glarus Brewing Company and Barktoberfest by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company.

Edited by 95Crash

I like Abita Pecan. Nice flavor -- very subtle.

It is still Oktoberfest season, so I've been trying a few of those types of beers the past few days. Traditionally, I usually stick to Spaten Oktoberfest, but I had not realized that it gets only so-so ratings from reviewers. So this year, I decided I'm going to drink anything but that.

So far, I've tried Hooker Oktoberfest, Great Lakes Oktoberfest, and Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, liking them all so far. I also bought Ayinger Oktoberfest because I heard great things about it, but I haven't yet opened a bottle -- perhaps tomorrow.

A few other Oktoberfest beers that get very good ratings that I'd like to try but haven't yet found in stores are Ramstein's Oktoberfest, Avery's The Kaiser, Staghorn Oktoberfest from New Glarus Brewing Company and Barktoberfest by Thirsty Dog Brewing Company.

I had Ramstein Oktoberfest a week ago at Maloney's in Matawan.  I don't usually like Oktoberfests, but it was pretty good.  Nothing out of this world, but won't disappoint.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen their beer in stores though so you might have a hard time finding it depending on how far north you live.

Lovin the pumpkin reviews Bart.

These are the ones in my stockpile right now:

Southern Tier Pumking

Southern Tier Warlock

Schafly Pumpkin

Sam Adams Fat Jack

Hoppin Frog french Hollow Double Pumpkin

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

Fegley's Devious Pumpkin

Iron Hill Great Pumpkin

Dogfish Head Punkin

Ithaca Country Pumpkin

Riverhorse Hippo Lantern

Eylsian Night Owl

Flying Dog The Fear

Fishermans Pumpkin Stout

Looking for: Unita Oak Jacked Pumpkin and Rogue Chateau Pumpkin Patch

Also tasted Great South Bay Pumpkin last month and wasn't a fan.

I had Ramstein Oktoberfest a week ago at Maloney's in Matawan.  I don't usually like Oktoberfests, but it was pretty good.  Nothing out of this world, but won't disappoint.  I'm not sure if I've ever seen their beer in stores though so you might have a hard time finding it depending on how far north you live.

Do you know if they're ever open on weeknights? I really want to pick up their doppelbock in a month or so, but I have class on Saturdays in NYC, so I can't come in to the tasting room on a Saturday afternoon.

A few places by me carry Ramstein but not the Oktoberfest for whatever reason.

I finally tried Ayinger's Oktoberfest -- very smooth, easy to drink.

Nah sorry I'm not sure, never been there.

No problem, I can call them.

Lovin the pumpkin reviews Bart.

These are the ones in my stockpile right now:

Southern Tier Pumking

Southern Tier Warlock

Schafly Pumpkin

Sam Adams Fat Jack

Hoppin Frog french Hollow Double Pumpkin

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

Fegley's Devious Pumpkin

Iron Hill Great Pumpkin

Dogfish Head Punkin

Ithaca Country Pumpkin

Riverhorse Hippo Lantern

Eylsian Night Owl

Flying Dog The Fear

Fishermans Pumpkin Stout

Looking for: Unita Oak Jacked Pumpkin and Rogue Chateau Pumpkin Patch

Also tasted Great South Bay Pumpkin last month and wasn't a fan.

Thanks man, yeah I had flying dogs the fear yesterday, for the 12.49 it was pretty bad, didnt taste the pumpkin really, and it tasted like more of a stout than an ale. Have you had their oyster stout? I thought about ordering it but if it sucks then I wont.

Also I had the elysian hansel and gretel. Awful. Haha just imagine a normal glass of heineken with a ton of ginger. I couldnt drink the whole thing.

Also had the elysian dark o' the moon. Again I didnt taste much pumpkin, more coffee and chocolate than anything. Wasn't bad, wasnt great.

Im not a blue moon fan but they came out with 2 bombers, one was tongue thai'd which was with basil and lemon grass. The other was pine in the neck made with juniper berries. The basil one I literally couldnt drink more than 3 sips. I love basil but the amount they put in there made it terrible. The juniper berry one was alright, nice subtle flavor, not overpowering, but I wouldnt go crazy trying to get another bottle.

I had ommegang scythe and sickle harvest. Meh. A real creamy beer compared to others. Pours about a 2 inch head even when you pour it slow. I could get down all four and it was something different, but I doubt I would buy it again. Not my cup of tea.

Guiness came out with a red harvest stout and magic hat came out with a new fall called seance. Im putting them together because they taste the same. Like a handful of dirt and old coffee grinds. Truly disgusting.

I tried the woodchuck pumpkin cider too. It grows on you as you drink it. It kinda tastes like they put the stem of the pumpkin in there too if that makes sense. I hated it at first but I grew to like it.

Has anyone had anything from Jolly Pumpkin in michigan or Neshaminy Creek in PA? I was thinking of ordering from them, jolly pumpkin has awesome artwork and seem like they sell quality products, and neshaminy's punkel dunkel looks awesome.

Im also waiting for mamma mia pizza beer to get back in stock. Has anyone had that one? Its probably disgusting but my salesman said you either love it or hate it.

Also one of my distributors is getting anchorage brewing from alaska. I doubt anyone has tried them but if you have how was the beer?

Has anyone had anything from Jolly Pumpkin in michigan or Neshaminy Creek in PA? I was thinking of ordering from them, jolly pumpkin has awesome artwork and seem like they sell quality products, and neshaminy's punkel dunkel looks awesome.

I've actually visited their brewpub in Ann Arbor on a baseball games and breweries road trip I did a few years ago.  Just to clarify since most of your post was about pumpkin beers, they only make one pumpkin beer.  They seem to specialize in saisons and sours and I'm not a huge fan of either style so I found them to be just alright.

Oh and I've had that pizza beer.  It's interesting to try but it's not some groundbreaking overly flavorful beer.  I enjoyed it paired with, of course, pizza haha.

Edited by devilsfan26

Visited Jolly Pumpkin over the summer. They were fine, but nothing to write home about. If you do end up ordering from them, stick to the European styles, like the farmhouse or the Belgians. Their more American styles (pale ales especially) were boring.

If you don't like sour beers and you're not expecting this one to be sour (because does anyone else even make a sour pumpkin beer?) then you most likely won't enjoy it.  I probably wouldn't have liked it either, but it's averaging an 88 on beeradvocate so if you like both pumpkin beers and sours then I guess it works, but not every flavor is for everyone.  Some would find it undrinkable while others apparently really enjoy it.  Either way, I wouldn't compare it to other pumpkin beers without at least footnoting that it's a sour.

Edited by devilsfan26

I didn't even realize it was a sour. The only real "sour" beer I've had has been New Belgium La Folie which I actually enjoyed very much.  Maybe it was the melding of the flavors but I just remember it being intolerable to me at the time. I really am not ruling out the possibility of a bad/old bottle. I'll have to try it again.

If you don't like sour beers and you're not expecting this one to be sour (because does anyone else even make a sour pumpkin beer?) then you most likely won't enjoy it. I probably wouldn't have liked it either, but it's averaging an 88 on beeradvocate so if you like both pumpkin beers and sours then I guess it works, but not every flavor is for anyone. Some would find it undrinkable while others apparently really enjoy it. Either way, I wouldn't compare it to other pumpkin beers without at least footnoting that it's a sour.

Thanks yeah from all the accounts I wont be ordering it. I take the beer advocate ratings lightly, ive had some that were rated in the 90s that were atrocious and some in the 70s that were great. I tend to like the ratebeer ratings better.

Thanks yeah from all the accounts I wont be ordering it. I take the beer advocate ratings lightly, ive had some that were rated in the 90s that were atrocious and some in the 70s that were great. I tend to like the ratebeer ratings better.

Yeah I mean everyone's tastes are different so you can't take ratings too seriously but they are an average of other beer enthusiasts' opinions so if it's a beer I don't know much about I'll use the BA ratings to help me decide if it's worth buying.  Of course my tastes or any other one person's tastes aren't the same as what beer advocate's averages say, but I think it's generally a good tool to use as long as you put their ratings in the context of how you feel about the style of that beer.

Awesome growler lineup alert!

Joe Canals Lawrenceville has some pretty tasty/rare stuff at the growler station right now:

Dogfish Head 120 (girlfriend bought the last growlers worth - apparently a 2 year old keg)

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout

Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy

Riverhorse Firkin Pumpkin Vanilla Bourbon

Stone R&R Coconut IPA

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

I know this isn't scientific, and I'm as frustrated as anyone to see Bud Light up there that much, and I know that Blue Moon is Coors, but this map is actually cause for optimism that Americans are drinking at least somewhat better beer.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2013/10/16/map_america_s_favorite_beers_by_state.html

Interesting read here about how much the new brewing laws in NJ has affected the brewing business.  Since that law was passed about a year ago, 15 new breweries have opened or about to open:

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20131017_New_Jersey_s_becoming_the_beer_garden_state.html

What became of Port44's building?  The new laws for breweries could not have saved that business, but I wonder if they could encourage someone else to try the same idea (done better).

What became of Port44's building?  The new laws for breweries could not have saved that business, but I wonder if they could encourage someone else to try the same idea (done better).

Not sure and haven't walked by that place in a couple of years.  It had good beer but had a so-so layout, atmosphere and service and awful food.  The two owners had no prior restaurant/food service experience and it completely showed.

Too bad too.  I think a good brewpub done right would do very well by the arena.

Not sure and haven't walked by that place in a couple of years.  It had good beer but had a so-so layout, atmosphere and service and awful food.  The two owners had no prior restaurant/food service experience and it completely showed.

Too bad too.  I think a good brewpub done right would do very well by the arena.

Beer went downhill by the end as well. The food was actually good right at the beginning, but fell apart real fast. Agreed, it would have been nice to have a good spot for a couple brews there.

I had dogfish head Festina Peche.  Very similar to champagne or kombucha or even a cider.  Once I stopped thinking of it as beer I liked it a lot. 

Same with their sahtea.

Weyerbacher Aries is making it's rounds through the area.  Seems like something I would like.

Aries is the 3rd installment in the latest round of Brewers’ Select Series beers!  Aries breaks the mold of preceding Brewers’ Select beers in that it is NOT a new beer—rather, it is a blend of two existing beers which have been being mixed by Weyerbacher employees for a few years now.  In perfect timing for October / Halloween, Aries is a delicious blend of Old Heathen Imperial Stout and Imperial Pumpkin Ale!

http://weyerbacher.com/blog/2013/10/aries/

Weyerbacher Aries is making it's rounds through the area.  Seems like something I would like.

Aries is the 3rd installment in the latest round of Brewers’ Select Series beers!  Aries breaks the mold of preceding Brewers’ Select beers in that it is NOT a new beer—rather, it is a blend of two existing beers which have been being mixed by Weyerbacher employees for a few years now.  In perfect timing for October / Halloween, Aries is a delicious blend of Old Heathen Imperial Stout and Imperial Pumpkin Ale!

http://weyerbacher.com/blog/2013/10/aries/

Ugh again more heavy as sh!t beer to make you feel like you ate 10 whoppers when all you did was have a drink.  Does anyone actually think this does or would taste good?