BEER

TrentonDevils

I've been seeing pumpkin beers pop up at stores all across NJ for the past week or so already. I mean it's the first half of August for Christ sake!

Same thing is going on with the spring beers that are already in stores and on-tap on Groundhog Day and gone by Easter.

Yeah I've been bringing them in for a few weeks now. Weyerbacher was the first, it was actually brewed on June 6th too which is crazy early. I don't want to carry pumpkins and Oktoberfests in late July, but some of them are one shot deals with the distributors. So if you don't get them when they come out, you're beat. Plus add to the fact I don't want to order deals on summer beer and have it clog up the doors when its time to put the fall beers in. It's kind of a balancing act.

I do have a good amount in already. Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, Fegley's Devious Pumpkin, Elysian Night Owl, Sam Octoberfest, Widmer Okto, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, Spaten Oktoberfest, Red Hook Out of Your Gourd, Southampton Pumpkin, and I feel like I'm missing one more. Anyway I have a list of about 25-35 more I plan on bringing in. People love fall beers as do I. I actually think we sell just as much, if not more craft seasonals in the fall than in the summer, which is amazing when you consider we're on the shore 10 minutes from sandy hook.

Terrapin is coming out with a pumpkin pie this year for the first time, its on the same product line as their cinnamon roll'd and white moo hoo. Im really hoping I can get a case

Yeah this aggravates me too.  I feel like every year it gets worse but I remember seeing pumpkin beers on the shelf in late July either last year or the year before.  I have little interest in drinking pumpkin beers during the summer, but I don't want to be left with scraps by the time the fall comes around so I'm left with no choice but to buy all the pumpkin beers I plan on drinking once they come out, and then store them for a month or two until I actually want them.

Weyerbacher's is really good and so is Schlafly's.  Those are the two I have purchased so far.  Pumking from Southern Tier is about as good as it gets but I haven't seen it yet.  Last year I remember seeing it on shelves throughout the season though so even though most consider it the cream of the crop when it comes to pumpkin beers, it seems like they're able to make enough of it so we don't have to jump through hoops to obtain it.

Elysian makes three or four pumpkin beers.  Most of them were meh but I think The Great Pumpkin is up there with Pumking.  Give that one a shot if you see it.  I also usually buy Punkin from Dogfish Head and Hipp-o-lantern from River Horse.  I remember Triumph having a really good pumpkin beer too if you're in that area.

Maloney's in Matawan said they've already gotten kegs of some pumpkin beers, but they refuse to tap any until Labor Day.

Edited by devilsfan26

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous.  I mean at this point I see spring beers on Groundhog day, Summer beers around Easter, fall beers in late July/early August, and winter beers on Halloween.  Plus like devilsfan26 said by the time October winds around and I am actually in the mood for pumpkin beer, I am left with the scraps.

As for pumpkin beers, the best out there IMO is Triumph's pumpkin beer.  It really has a nice pumpkin flavor that is not too sweet like some of the others are and has a nice balance to it.  You can taste the pumpkin but it doesn't overpower you.  I also like Punkin from Dogfish Head and I have tried Pumking by Southern Tier as well and that is a solid one as well.  I really do not like Hipp-o-lantern as it is an "Imperial Pumpkin" and I feel like the alcohol content just overpowers the beer.  IDK I just think pumpkin beers should be closer to like an Amber or Vienna Lager than an IPA or Stout sort of beer.

A funny one is Shipyard.  I have had it both on-tap and in a bottle.  When it is on-tap it is actually very good and often order it when I see it is available at a bar.  However, every time I drank it out of a bottle it is actually quite nasty.  Last yeat I got a 6-pack and after 2 bottles just threw the rest away.  The difference really was night and day at least to me.

My parents and I went a couple weeks ago to Nik's.  Beer is good but the food is downright a disgrace to German food.  They have a clueless Greek chef making bastardized versions of popular German dishes that are just not good at all.  The inside is alright but the outside is the plainest and saddest "biergarten" I have ever seen.

For beirgartens Zeppelin Hall is actually quite decent and recommend it for first timer's.  However, if you an ever better biergarten experience try the Deutscher Club in Clark.  They have nice communal tables and half of them are uncovered under trees.  It's a biergarten that's actually run by Germans.  It is a private club but during the spring, summer and fall months they have a Biergarten night about twice a week that is open to the public with a $2 or so per person entrance fee.  It's worth it and while its a tiny bit Americanized to appeal to the general public, it's still probably the closest thing you can get to the real mccoy in the northern NJ area.  Also in September on usually the week of the NYC Steuben Day parade they have a huge festival there that is completely packed and open to the public for free.  That's always a blast.

Anyone ever go to Nik's Wunderbar? Interesting selections on tap.

Here is the beer menu link: http://www.beermenus.com/places/12261-nik-s-wunderbar

I live nowhere near there but i looked at the link, and since we're talking about fall beers, I see they have otter creek overgrown and long trail harvest. My old salesman for point pleasant distributors(which was sold) is now the sales rep for long trail/otter creek/wolavers/the shed. He gave me samples last week. Long trail changed all their packaging from the cartoon bears to woodsy artist stuff. They also changed their seasonals. Their spring was absolutely amazing. Ramble, it was made with lemongrass and peppercorns. Just a phenomenally refreshing beer. Their Mostly Cloudy was pretty nasty if you ask me but their Summer Ale was hoppy and refreshing. I love the direction Long Trail is headed in.

Anyway the harvest he gave me was great. I tasted coffee flavors in there and I think it would be great on a cool, hoodie kind of night next to a fire. The new pumpkin was good too but it seems middle of the pack to me. That's not bad, but it doesn't separate itself from the others. DM84 I know you said you don't like imperials where they have strong pumpkin and spice flavors so you might actually like their pumpkin offering. Its not watered down but its not crazy spiced. I couldn't find anything wrong with the brew to be honest.

Otter creek has been trying to change their image also but new packaging doesn't help their below average beer. I had the overgrown and I could not take more than 3 or 4 sips. I like hoppy beers but this was straight up awful. Imagine eating a grapefruit that's been sitting in Lairds all week. That's what Otter Creek Overgrown tastes like.

Saucony Creek is a new brewery too. I'm a little slanted because I went to Kutztown University but they make some awesome beers for a new start up brewery. Although I hated their saucony sessions despite the fact I love sessions. Their fall beer, Maple Mistress is awesome. I mean you can't drink 4 in one sitting because you'll go onto diabetic shock, but its a unique flavor that you won't find in another beer. Its butternut squash, maple syrup, and rum spices. Imagine a pumpkin pie with maple syrup drizzled on top, washed down with beer. It sounds weird but I sincerely suggest that if you see it, you try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

yes...Nik's food was to laugh -- and they themselves said the biergarten was mostly just a smoking area :giggle:

The flavored beer - like a Maple beer -- I somehow have grown out of them :(   I had that Creme Brulee beer the other day and it was like drinking hazelnut coffee -- it was just wrong to my taste buds.  I'm anxious I'm not going to like pumkin ales this season.

At Nik's we must have been in the salted beer mood.  I had the hintochino plum ale -- that was extremely cool. Brother-in-law had the Carton Panzanella.  We got a growler of the Panzanella for home.  As salty beers go I liked both.  The guys liked the Carton better but I think it was partially a locavore thing on their parts.  My husband got the BerlinerWeisster I think -- it was a sour beer - anyhow it was like a riesling wine -- it was very good once you got over the shock.  My sister got the lambic  :yucky:

The flavored beer - like a Maple beer -- I somehow have grown out of them :( I had that Creme Brulee beer the other day and it was like drinking hazelnut coffee -- it was just wrong to my taste buds. I'm anxious I'm not going to like pumkin ales this season.

:

Wouldn't worry too much; I couldn't stand crime brûlée stout either, way too sweet, and I actually like sweet beers. Edited by mouse

We always get growlers these days and Weyerbacher - our everyday home beer is great bottled but Dogfish head just seems to consistently blow it away from tap.  I think maybe we're trying to like Weyerbacher...  we have been trying to visit the brewery all Summer but just have to speed by.  We seem to be living out 78 - I'm so not a fan of 78 --

Speaking of which -- I was trying to get to the fact I also tried the Saucony Kutztown lagerbier - it was nothing special on tap :(  I'd love to like it.  What's the butcher out there in Kutztown just off 78?  I love going there... our local butcher just retired.  82 and he thinks he deserves a little time off now.  :angry:  Mareska's  - I cannot believe they're gone now.  My husband was seriously considering  apprenticing under Emil Mareska.  anyhow -- beer and meat  -- I digress  :P  ANYHOW - I want to try more Saucony stuff.

Then Carton's Boat beer was also on tap and that was yawnsville.   

We always get growlers these days and Weyerbacher - our everyday home beer is great bottled but Dogfish head just seems to consistently blow it away from tap. I think maybe we're trying to like Weyerbacher... we have been trying to visit the brewery all Summer but just have to speed by. We seem to be living out 78 - I'm so not a fan of 78 --

Speaking of which -- I was trying to get to the fact I also tried the Saucony Kutztown lagerbier - it was nothing special on tap :( I'd love to like it. What's the butcher out there in Kutztown just off 78? I love going there... our local butcher just retired. 82 and he thinks he deserves a little time off now. :angry: Mareska's - I cannot believe they're gone now. My husband was seriously considering apprenticing under Emil Mareska. anyhow -- beer and meat -- I digress :P ANYHOW - I want to try more Saucony stuff.

Then Carton's Boat beer was also on tap and that was yawnsville.

Dietrics is the butcher right off the ktown exit. Saucony actually comes out with consistently good stuff. I had the lagerbier it wasn't my taste. It tastes a little too much like kielbasa to me haha. Their schnickelfritz, hop suplex, and maple mistress are all very good. I have the roxies banana and north ramp stout in the door, I've just yet to buy one. I didn't care for the saucony sessions though, a little too fruity for me.

Since carton is just down the road from me I feel like everyone raves about it because its local. You're right the boat beer is middle of the pack, boring beer that's over priced if you ask me. I could name you a handful of better APAs than that.

yes!  Dietrich's Meats!  Well I will definitely try more Saucony's then.  Try the Carton Panzenella - well.. I thought it was good.  It didn't growler well but a pint is swell! 

I could use a nice lager right now...  horse show today - then I was painting for the 4H fair.  I really wish there could be a beer tent at the 4H fair.  Why can't we get our priorities straight here like the UK? :P

Pilsener Haus & Biergarten in Hoboken is pretty cool too.

I recently got my tickets to Oktoberfest in Central Park in September. This'll be the fourth or fifth time I go. It follows the Steuben Parade down 5th Avenue. Anyone else happen to be going?

Hey has anyone tried their hand in marinating steaks in beer? I have a few vacuum packed venison tenderloins from last year and I just got a bottle of rogue farms chipotle ale. I was going to cut up some garlic and onions and let them marinate in it overnight.

nope never with steaks. slightly off/on topic story though:

I had bought mussels about a month ago, was planning on just cooking them in white wine.  BUT looks like no white wine at the house.  so I just threw some Blue Moon in a pot and cooked the mussels in it.  threw some garlic butter in there and they actually turned out terrific.

Hey has anyone tried their hand in marinating steaks in beer? I have a few vacuum packed venison tenderloins from last year and I just got a bottle of rogue farms chipotle ale. I was going to cut up some garlic and onions and let them marinate in it overnight.

Only brats in beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

The epic imperial pumpkin porter is the best pumpkin beer I've ever has. Not sure if it'll make it this Far East, I had it in Utah, but if it does, get it.

• 2 weeks later...