BEER

TrentonDevils

• 3 years later...

Within the past couple of years, I have started getting into different beers -- besides just Bud, Corona, Heineken, Becks etc. I was going to start a beer thread, but then I did a quick search and found this one. Maybe we can keep it going.

This afternoon, I'm drinking stouts. I started off with a Young's Double Chocolate Stout -- Holy crap, is it good.

http://beeradvocate..../profile/664/73

Then I moved on to an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout -- another excellent brew, IMO.

http://beeradvocate....profile/112/412

I also like Pilsners, IPAs, Bocks and so on. ... So if you like 'em, bring it on!

BTW, right now it happens to be American Craft Beer Week (May 16-22, 2011)

http://www.craftbeer...craft-beer-week

Edited by 95Crash

Everytime my brother and I go on vacation, we always go to the local liquor store and make our own sixer of the weird, random local stuff they have. This one time, we tried that Rasputian stuff, solely because the label is awesome and it was excellent! My go to beer is usually Sam Adams but I love me a pint of properly poured Guinness. Guinness is an odd bird for me as there is nothing better a correctly poured pint and nothing worse than a bad pour. Just a range of emotions that have no middle ground!

Other than that, I just picked up a sixer of the Magic Hat Summer...going to give it a try once it cools down :-D

Ive been drinking Blue Moon. Mostly if Guinness is on tap, Ill get that.

At some point during the night I switch over to james and ginger or just jagr straight if I am feeling up to it.

Its james and ginger damn it not jack and ginger. :rant:

I have probably had a beer from every microbrewery on the East coast. My favorite company is Long Trail and their brew master series, a close second is weyerbacher. Stuff is great.

Current fav is centennial red from Long trail.

Rowhouse red, Red ale from Philly is very good.

Also if you have a Trader Joe's around try their beers like black toad. Good and light on the alcohol!

I've gotten much more into craft beer since this thread was made. My friends and I homebrew too. We made a milk stout recently that came out much hoppier than we were hoping for because we were drinking too much other stuff while brewing. Our next attempt will be a honey mint imperial IPA.

Some of my favorite beers are KBS, Devil Dancer, and Backwoods Bastard from Founders (although I think last year's KBS was better than this year's), Stone's Old Guardian, Ruination, and Imperial Russian Stout, River Horse's Hipp-o-lantern (hopefully they make it a fall seasonal and not just a one-off), and Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. I also had a 2007 Schlafly barleywine recently which was phenomenal. That beer really ages well.

Anyone else been drinking the Flying Fish exit series beers? I heard from one of their reps that they want to make some of the older exit beers part of their normal line-up, particularly Exit 11 (hoppy American wheat) or Exit 16 (wild rice IPA), which I thought was the best of the series so far.

I have a bottle of 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock I would like to trade so if anyone's been looking to trade for one of these let me know.

I have probably had a beer from every microbrewery on the East coast. My favorite company is Long Trail and their brew master series, a close second is weyerbacher. Stuff is great.

Current fav is centennial red from Long trail.

Rowhouse red, Red ale from Philly is very good.

Also if you have a Trader Joe's around try their beers like black toad. Good and light on the alcohol!

Long Trail makes a fantastic beer. Haven't tried their red but as I love a good red, I'll definately have to try it sometime! Problem is, my stomach doesn't really agree with beer, so I'm usually limited to one, maybe two before I start feeling sick.

Looks like I had a post back in '07--maybe time for an update. Basically any IPA with Alexander Keith's being a favorite I learned about whilst in Toronto. Can't find it in NJ/PA/DE though which is a bummer....

Wow, some of you guys really know your stuff. I'll have to try to keep track of some of your suggestions.

I really like IPAs. Right now my two favorites are Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA and Smuttynose IPA.

http://beeradvocate....rofile/610/2751

http://beeradvocate....ofile/141/16403

This afternoon, I drank a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, and now I'm drinking a Victory Prima Pils.

http://beeradvocate....rofile/345/1010

I don't know how you guys do it, but I try to keep my beer drinking to the weekends, or else I would have an ever-expanding waistline, LOL.

BTW, South Jersey Devs Fan, I see that Phily Beer Week is coming up, June 3-12:

http://www.phillybeerweek.org/

Edited by 95Crash

If you like Hoppy beer done right try Hopalotmus from River Horse. Good stuff

Got into River Horse recently too and they have some very good stuff.

I went to the Washington Crossing Brewfest last week and they had about 50-60 breweries such as Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Yuengling, River Horse, Triumph, Elysian, etc... After having some of my favorites, I tended to try those I was unfamiliar with.

Some of breweries that stuck out to me were Founders, Weyerbacher, 21st Amendment, and East Coast Brewing Company. East Coast was probably the smallest of the entire festival and they are located at Pt. Pleasant, NJ. I had their summer ale or lager and it was quite good. A lot of potential with them and they only started in 2007.

One of the more unusual beers I had there was Watermelon Ale from 21st Amendment. It was quite good with pretty stong Watermelon flavor.

Each brewery brought 2 different kinds of beers with them and for the most part it was a lot of Hefeweizens, Summer Ales, and Dubbels and Trippels. There were also a few Summer Ales/Lagers and stouts thrown in for good measure, but you are hard pressed to find Pilsners (But I also understand it is a lot tougher for these microbrews to create Pilsners with their equipment). I wish I could tell you more about it but I had a little too many samples if you know what I mean and some of them I only remember getting the beer and barely drinking them:)

Washington Crossing Brewfest

Got into River Horse recently too and they have some very good stuff.

Some of breweries that stuck out to me were Founders...

One of the more unusual beers I had there was Watermelon Ale from 21st Amendment. It was quite good with pretty stong Watermelon flavor.

Have you had River Horse's oatmeal milk stout? It was a one-off as part of their brewer's reserve series last year and this past fall or winter they made it part of their seasonal lineup. I think it's awesome.

Founders I think is my favorite brewery, they make great beers. What did they bring to the brewfest? I highly recommend Devil Dancer if you're into hoppy beers, should be coming out in the next two months. Their Breakfast Stout, Backwoods Bastard (scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels), and KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout, coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels) are also awesome.

I've seen that watermelon ale in stores a few times. I always thought it was interesting but never bought it, since you say it's good I think I'll pick it up next time. Seems like it could be a good summer beer.

I'm into the whole Oskar Blues line now that they're easy to get here. Gubna is a spruce tree in a can... I love that! It's not seasonal any more either! :wub:

All the Fuller's reserves - my brother-in-law always has them on hand for the even remotely special occasion.

what's in our basement now - I think it's Hopfish IPA and Exit 4 from Flying Fish

Have you had River Horse's oatmeal milk stout? It was a one-off as part of their brewer's reserve series last year and this past fall or winter they made it part of their seasonal lineup. I think it's awesome.

Founders I think is my favorite brewery, they make great beers. What did they bring to the brewfest? I highly recommend Devil Dancer if you're into hoppy beers, should be coming out in the next two months. Their Breakfast Stout, Backwoods Bastard (scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels), and KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout, coffee stout aged in bourbon barrels) are also awesome.

I've seen that watermelon ale in stores a few times. I always thought it was interesting but never bought it, since you say it's good I think I'll pick it up next time. Seems like it could be a good summer beer.

I am not really a fan of the stouts and tend to stay away from them. Once in a while I will venture and have some if they are particularly interesting (Triumph Brewing of New Hope right now has a Brunch Stout which has oatmeal, coffee, milk, sugar, and chocolate and it works pretty well). I might give River Horse's Stout a try though if I can find it on tap someplace.

For Founders if I can remember right (again I apologize as I over-indulged that day) they had the Pale Ale and Centennial IPA. I might be wrong but I think that is correct.

All the beers there were quite good and non stuck out to me as being bad. I tried about 20-25 different breweries and each had 2 options and they were mostly Hefeweizens, Trippels, Dubbels, Summer Ales/Lagers and IPA's so they all kinda blended into each other. Next time I have to bring a notebook with me or something.

I've never had an oatmeal, breakfast or brunch stout, but of the few stouts I've had, I've liked them all, so I look forward to trying them.

Has anyone ever been to Defiant Brewery in Pearl River, N.Y.? They make a nice stout as well as a very good porter -- at least to my liking.

Also the stout at Port 44 was very good too.

Does anyone have a favorite New Jersey-based brew/brewery?

Edited by 95Crash

Port 44's stout is awesome, it's up there with Exit 16 as my two favorite New Jersey beers. Honorable mention goes to Exit 4, River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout and Hipp-o-lantern, and Climax Nut Brown Ale. I also really like Cricket Hill's reserve series bourbon barrel aged porter, but some bottles I had of that were nowhere near as good as others, it was weird.

Port 44's stout is awesome, it's up there with Exit 16 as my two favorite New Jersey beers. Honorable mention goes to Exit 4, River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout and Hipp-o-lantern, and Climax Nut Brown Ale. I also really like Cricket Hill's reserve series bourbon barrel aged porter, but some bottles I had of that were nowhere near as good as others, it was weird.

I'll have to make a note to try those, thanks.

Is that Exit 16 the one made by Flying Fish? I ask because I recently tried the Hopfish IPA (made by Flying Fish) and didn't much care for it.

Is that Exit 16 the one made by Flying Fish? I ask because I recently tried the Hopfish IPA (made by Flying Fish) and didn't much care for it.

Yea this is it. I think I've tried Hopfish once and didn't think much of it either. Exit 16 was great though. Unfortunately you won't be able to try it unless they make it part of their regular lineup, which is a good possibility based on what a rep told me at a tap takeover about a month ago.

Took a tour a few days ago of the Taybeh Brewery. It's in the West Bank, andthe only microbrewery in the Middle East. They really knew their stuff, and I loved that their beer is made with water from a nearby spring. They have 5 varieties (the Gold was best), 1 non-alcoholic, but don't export to America yet. Look em up, maybe request at your local merchant.

I've never had an oatmeal, breakfast or brunch stout, but of the few stouts I've had, I've liked them all, so I look forward to trying them.

Has anyone ever been to Defiant Brewery in Pearl River, N.Y.? They make a nice stout as well as a very good porter -- at least to my liking.

Also the stout at Port 44 was very good too.

Does anyone have a favorite New Jersey-based brew/brewery?

I am partial to Triumph so I would say them. Next on the list is a 3-way tie with Long Valley Brewing, Trap Rock, and River Horse.

Trap rock is def a hidden gem in NJ. Located in Berkeley Heights and it is a brewpub. However, like a lot of other brewpubs, it falls in the trap of being over-fancy and pretentious, so the bill will be pretty high if you order food. Also, I think the food there is just so-so. I would recommend going to 3 West in Basking Ridge right off of exit 33 on rt 78. It is not cheap either but it more reasonable than Trap Rock, have much better food, and they also have a deal with Trap Rock where they serve their beer.

yeah -- Hopfish is too hoppy for me.

I'l have to try that oatmeal milk stout - I'm in Lambertville regularly so I have no excuse.

We have Weybacher Old Heathen right now too.

I always like the idea of Saison Dupont Farmhouse ale.

Love Boddingtons, Old Speckeled Hen - the Young's double chocolate isn't bad either.

Hit or miss for me is the smuttynose Barleywine... sometimes I like it sometimes I'm not in the mood. I'm SURE I had the Backwoods Bastard but I dont remember if I liked it or not.