BEER

TrentonDevils

Cool thanks and I have both not far from me. I went on the Sea Dog website to find them and just saw a list of distributors in NJ, but no retail stores.

No problameo. Apparently Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Beer is a decent beer also. Beeradvocate.com gave it a overall B+. Ill have to hunt that down too. The head of the beer even comes out with a nice pink hue to it.

Hey -- so I was wishing I could get my brother-in-law to post here but he's just not that kind of a guy. THEN I REMEMBERED! Our bud has a blog. We never see him anymore though - alcohol has sucked him away not in the alchy way :P . His wife worked with my sister for years and he made my sister's Burns Night parties. He's the one who got us all turned onto Fullers Reserves...ANYHOW so here is a link to his blog. He's OBSESSED with beer and Scotch. I don't always agree with his taste but he's still massively (too if you ask me <_<) knowledgeable.

Lew's blog

I can't talk about beer like he can. I can't even TRY! He's the one who gets or steers us to weird stuff and SO MUCH I can't keep them all straight. He's always bringing Falconer flasks of scotch INSANE stuff... and Whiskyfest is just HUGE with him. We never go anymore -- it's too expensive and in the middle of the week and stuff...it's been 2 years I think since we've even seen him - but when I look at the blog I think OY! my mind melts - I really like him but I never think I form any impression on him - I dont see how anyone can- he's loud fast and furious!! I can't even read his blog - it wears me out and his LAUGH! ok ok -- I'm blabbing... :P

Edited by Pepperkorn

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone go down to Philly during Philly Beer Week? I went to Kite and Key in Philly on whatever Monday that was (the 6th I think?) and to Capone's in Norristown that Thursday.

At Kite and Key I had on tap...

Founders Centennial IPA

Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

Founders Nemesis 2010 (barleywine)

Founders Imperial Stout

The one keg of CBS lasted 17 minutes. My buddies and I made sure to get there early so we didn't miss out. We told her we drove an hour and a half for it, so our waitress made sure to take care of us. She also let us have the KBS afterwards, even though she previously said it was supposed to be one or the other. There were lots of guys that walked in right around the start time and got neither while we enjoyed both. I would have felt bad if they weren't all wearing Phillies stuff.

At Capone's I had on tap...

Flying Fish Exit 11 (Hoppy American Wheat)

Flying Fish Exit 16 (Wild Rice Double IPA)

Deschutes The Abyss

Founders Cashew Mountain Brown

Founders Kaiser Curmudgeon

Ballast Point Bourbon Barrel Aged Tongue Buckler

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 2010

The Cashew Mountain Brown was listed as a "mystery keg" and even our waiter didn't know what it was until he brought it to us.

Here is how Founders describes it:

"Perhaps the most complex of our Mountain Brown series, it's an Imperial Brown Ale aged on cashews in maple bourbon barrels for 287 days, then aged on even MORE cashews for another 3 weeks for that extra, EXTRA nuttiness...10% ABV. Over 420+ pounds of cashews used."

We were hoping it would be CBS, and some guy at the table next to us somehow found out it wasn't, so we were kind of disappointed, he said it was "some walnut BS." Regardless, we were excited to try it because Founders is a hell of a brewery and their rare beers never disappoint. Turns out it was one incredible beer, I think it might have even been the best I ever had, the only ones that even come close are KBS, CBS, and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

It was great to have Exit 16 again, definitely another one of my all-time favorites. Also, I think the fact that they brewed it again, even if it was just for Philly Beer Week, is encouraging because hopefully it means they will be bottling it again soon.

Moral of the story...Philly is a good place after all, one week out of the year.

As for more readily-available stuff, I just tried Weihenstephaner Vitus a couple days ago. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, most of them are just meh to me, so I'm not even sure why I bought this one, but it was fantastic. It's a weizenbock, stronger than regular wheat beers, which I guess is why I enjoyed it more. They also make a very good hefeweizen.

Edited by devilsfan26

Did anyone go down to Philly during Philly Beer Week? I went to Kite and Key in Philly on whatever Monday that was (the 6th I think?) and to Capone's in Norristown that Thursday.

At Kite and Key I had on tap...

Founders Centennial IPA

Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

Founders Nemesis 2010 (barleywine)

Founders Imperial Stout

The one keg of CBS lasted 17 minutes. My buddies and I made sure to get there early so we didn't miss out. We told her we drove an hour and a half for it, so our waitress made sure to take care of us. She also let us have the KBS afterwards, even though she previously said it was supposed to be one or the other. There were lots of guys that walked in right around the start time and got neither while we enjoyed both. I would have felt bad if they weren't all wearing Phillies stuff.

At Capone's I had on tap...

Flying Fish Exit 11 (Hoppy American Wheat)

Flying Fish Exit 16 (Wild Rice Double IPA)

Deschutes The Abyss

Founders Cashew Mountain Brown

Founders Kaiser Curmudgeon

Ballast Point Bourbon Barrel Aged Tongue Buckler

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout 2010

The Cashew Mountain Brown was listed as a "mystery keg" and even our waiter didn't know what it was until he brought it to us.

Here is how Founders describes it:

"Perhaps the most complex of our Mountain Brown series, it's an Imperial Brown Ale aged on cashews in maple bourbon barrels for 287 days, then aged on even MORE cashews for another 3 weeks for that extra, EXTRA nuttiness...10% ABV. Over 420+ pounds of cashews used."

We were hoping it would be CBS, and some guy at the table next to us somehow found out it wasn't, so we were kind of disappointed, he said it was "some walnut BS." Regardless, we were excited to try it because Founders is a hell of a brewery and their rare beers never disappoint. Turns out it was one incredible beer, I think it might have even been the best I ever had, the only ones that even come close are KBS, CBS, and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

It was great to have Exit 16 again, definitely another one of my all-time favorites. Also, I think the fact that they brewed it again, even if it was just for Philly Beer Week, is encouraging because hopefully it means they will be bottling it again soon.

Moral of the story...Philly is a good place after all, one week out of the year.

As for more readily-available stuff, I just tried Weihenstephaner Vitus a couple days ago. I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, most of them are just meh to me, so I'm not even sure why I bought this one, but it was fantastic. It's a weizenbock, stronger than regular wheat beers, which I guess is why I enjoyed it more. They also make a very good hefeweizen.

That's awesome, man. Nice reviews. It sounds like you and your buddies really know what you're doing. I wish I went.

I finally found Exit 4 by me, but I have yet to try it. Hopefully soon.

Spent last Saturday sampling New Jersey brews aboard the Battleship New Jersey in Camden. Apparently it was their 12th time holding the annual event. Very cool. Some good brews too. Unfortunately, I did a pretty terrible job of keeping track of what I sampled and what brewery it was from.

Spent last Saturday sampling New Jersey brews aboard the Battleship New Jersey in Camden. Apparently it was their 12th time holding the annual event. Very cool. Some good brews too. Unfortunately, I did a pretty terrible job of keeping track of what I sampled and what brewery it was from.

What good are you then? You're like... ME even!

devilsfan26 -- did you check out my link to Lew Bryson's blog? If you're really interested in beer I think you'd really like it. I just read Victory is coming out with a Smoked dubble... that should be interesting...

devilsfan26 -- did you check out my link to Lew Bryson's blog? If you're really interested in beer I think you'd really like it. I just read Victory is coming out with a Smoked dubble... that should be interesting...

I checked it out quickly but haven't really looked through it yet. I'll give it some time tomorrow when I get home from work. Do you know when that smoked dubbel will be coming out? It does sound interesting.

I'm currently staying with a mate after moving interstate, before I move into a rental house.

There is a micro-brewery about 10 minutes away, who also sell setups for the home:

A small fridge to fit several 19 litre kegs, gas and beer lines running up to actual beer taps, that sit on top of the fridge.

So it's been quite a nice time relaxing on the weekends, pooring my own beers from a tap.

Will be such a shame to lose it when I move out in a couple of weeks - I will have to invest into my own setup :)

Stella is owned by Anheuser-Busch/InBev which usually means there is much better of the same style out there except without the advertising budget. In the same token I find the new Budweiser cans annoying in that a foreign-owned company is using the American flag to sell their crappy excuse for beer to us.

What did everyone drink for Independence Day? I went with Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues in Colorado. Nothing mindblowing, but way better than the typical swill, and brewed by an all American and independent brewery.

Anyone read a recent article that was somewhat buried in the SL about a couple weeks ago about how there is a bill right now in the state legislature that would make it legal for NJ brewpubs and microbreweries to sell their beer in local liquor stores? Would be neat and would def make it easier on me. I know the people at JJ Bittings in Woodbridge are big and vocal supporters of this and are helping to drive this through. Have no idea the status of that bill now.

Edit: Found it! It was on MyCentralJersey.com

Beer Legislation

Edited by DevsMan84

Bud is all about mass production, quantity over quality. I've never heard of anyone who brews their own beer that prefers any mass-produced macro light lager over any craft beer. You are the first.

Bud and Coors are the two worst beers in the world. Blue Moon (which is produced by Coors) is the worst wheat beer in the world. I love it when my friends brag about drinking some fine beer aka Blue Moon via Facebook

I then immediately unfriend them. I now have like 30 friends left after having hundreds a couple years ago.

It's all about marketing. I've never seen a commercial for any wheat beer other than Blue Moon. Why? I'm guessing because MillerCoors can afford to make those ads mostly because of ridiculous beer distribution laws that serve no function other than to preserve the big boys' stranglehold on the market.

Also, most people don't know it is made by Coors because they don't want to admit it anywhere on the packaging. Instead it refers to a "Blue Moon Brewing Co."

Edited by devilsfan26

It's all about marketing. I've never seen a commercial for any wheat beer other than Blue Moon. Why? I'm guessing because MillerCoors can afford to make those ads mostly because of ridiculous beer distribution laws that serves no function other than to preserve the big boys' stranglehold on the market.

Also, most people don't know it is made by Coors because they don't want to admit it anywhere on the packaging. Instead it refers to a "Blue Moon Brewing Co."

Pretty much. When I tell people that Blue Moon is made by Coors, they get upset and start telling me no im lying and they point to that part of the label that says Blue Moon Brewing Co. I tell them to google it and then they get all pissy at me.

What did everyone drink for Independence Day? I went with Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues in Colorado. Nothing mindblowing, but way better than the typical swill, and brewed by an all American and independent brewery.

Ommegang Witte for me.. but in a big plastic red cup even the face oiled finger stir I learned at high school keggers back in the day didn't take that foam down...

mostly it was Sangria though - a good one too! I'm very fussy about my Sangrias!

I've been wanting a Red Stripe lately.... I'll have to make some hothothot meat patties to go with them though.

Bud in a can is soda pop - there are times I actually enjoy it :ninja:

What's your brew like Leeds? Do you use a kit?

I know SOOOO many people that brew their own. The Sam Adams kits turn out well.... I'm always leery of the totally home brewed no kit. I can't tell you how many of those I've had. I do want to grow my own hops next year though....