Isles Sign Sutton

Devilsdude530

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=335866

The New York Islanders have signed 6-foot-6 defenseman Andy Sutton to a three-year contract. Sutton, who will enter his ninth NHL season in 2007-08, scored two goals and added 14 assists for Atlanta last season and is known for his shot-blocking and physical play. Despite playing in just 55 games last season, Sutton ranked 19th in the NHL in blocked shots with 162. In 2005-06, Sutton ranked fourth in the NHL with 195 blocked shots.

Why am I not surprised that the Isles ended up signing Sutton?

I'll reserve final judgment until financial terms are released, because if they got him cheap, it's not THAT bad. However, Sutton is vastly overrated and I bet Atlanta fans are rejoicing that Andy is officially no longer a Thrasher.

Sutton stinks. He's a glorified third pairing defender who was selected in the expansion draft at least once, possibly twice. He's a decent 2nd pairing guy now - but he's also a big doof who isn't particularly physical or good at anything else.

I'm sure the Islanders signed him for too much - and the two of them deserve each other.