THN Predicts Devils 4th In The Atlantic

Chico

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?p...reenshots070815

Atlantic Division (in predicted order of finish)

Pittsburgh Penguins: Why No. 1? Because Sidney Crosby's career trajectory is still in the skyrocket position, and Pens GM Ray Shero is surrounding him with a well-balanced mix of young stars (Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Ryan Whitney) and productive veterans (Gary Roberts, Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, Petr Sykora).

The biggest trouble spot for Pittsburgh this season will be the same one that got them into trouble in the 2007 playoffs -- getting consistent performances from goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. Dany Sabourin doesn't provide a wealth of confidence as Fleury's newly signed backup, but Shero will have a few months to judge and adjust that situation, perhaps bringing in a proven veteran (Ed Belfour or Curtis Joseph) as a short-term stop gap.

However, if the experience and grit of offseason acquisition Darryl Sydor filters throughout the defense corps early in the season, there may be no need to take such a measure. And if they do get solid performances from the back end, a first-place finish in the Eastern Conference, as well as an Eastern Conference postseason championship, is not far-fetched.

New York Rangers: Why second? Because, despite the tremendous acquisitions of Chris Drury and Scott Gomez, there's the small matter of a bland, run-of-the-mill blue line that has yet to be properly addressed. And losing Michael Nylander and Matt Cullen may hurt more than team brass believe.

And while a possible first line of Gomez centering Jaromir Jagr and Martin Straka has the potential to be the league's most offensively potent, once you get to the third- and fourth-liners, the drop-off in talent is severe.

Therefore, if the Rangers want a high playoff seeding, their power play (tied for sixth-best in the league last season) is going to have to be just as good, and Henrik Lundqvist will need to be equally spectacular in net. Fortunately for Blueshirts fans, I think history has an excellent chance of repeating in those regards.

Philadelphia Flyers: Why third? Because the Devils and Islanders took steps back, and the Penguins and Rangers remain better squads, at least on paper.

As noted in an earlier Screen Shots column, there's no questioning the strides the Flyers have taken since bombing like a polka band at the Apollo last season. Paul Holmgren has quickly re-jigged the roster, adding as much sandpaper (Jason Smith and Scott Hartnell) as skill (Daniel Briere and Kimmo Timonen).

Much of their playoff hopes depend on goalie Martin Biron, but I think the real key will be the performance of a trio of youngsters (Jeff Carter, Mike Richards and Joffrey Lupul) who were sizeable disappointments in 2006-07. If two of those three rebound with potential-realizing results, the pressure on others will be greatly alleviated, and the Flyers will be dancing in the postseason once again.

New Jersey Devils: Why fourth? Because you don't replace Gomez and Brian Rafalski with Dainius Zubrus and Vitali Vishnevski and not lose a lot in the process.

Now, odds are any team with Martin Brodeur and Patrik Elias on the ice and noted whip-cracker Brent Sutter behind the bench is going to be competitive. But this team somewhat reminds me of the 2006-07 Flyers, who had their veteran core slowly whittled away in prior seasons before imploding right out of the gate.

If that happens, regardless of how quickly Uber-boss Lou Lamoriello acts to correct the Devils' course, teams such as the Avalanche, Blues and Panthers proved last season that an early hole is nearly impossible to climb out from.

New York Islanders: Why fifth? Need you ask? No matter how optimistic their fans may be that GM Garth Snow and coach Ted Nolan will pull another rabbit out of their collective hat, few league observers believe a second bunny is on the way.

The Isles' blue line frightens no one, their forward unit is comprised of other teams' castoffs and mid-tier veterans, and their top prospects are a few years away from contributing significantly. Would you say such a team should be expected to make the postseason? If so, can I interest you in purchasing a handful of magic beans?

Adam Proteau's Screen Shots appears every Thursday only on thehockeynews.com. Want to take a shot at Adam Proteau? You can reach him at aproteau@thehockeynews.com or through out Ask Adam feature. And be sure to check out Proteau's Blog for daily insight on the world of hockey.

Can't get enough Adam? Subscribe to The Hockey News at http://www.thehockeynews.com to get the column Proteau Type delivered to you every issue.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all these reports saying the Devils are going to finish near the bottom of the division. I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people. Lou really has constructed a better group of forwards that will add a lot of depth and the ability to roll 4 lines. The only aspect that is weaker is the defense, but I still think its fairly solid.

It will be an interesting season. I could see this team being a little better than last seasons teams or a good amount worse than last years team. I think we'll see a team at least as good as last season leaning towards better because the team is better constructed with what seems like a better coach, IMO.

But this team somewhat reminds me of the 2006-07 Flyers, who had their veteran core slowly whittled away in prior seasons before imploding right out of the gate.

Huh? The Flyers had no goaltending and were relying on an injury prone Forsberg and second year players. I think the only thing similar is the second line hoping Parise has as good as a year as last and Travis improves. Maybe I am being overly optimstic but I am actually really excited to see how this team gels. I was just as exicted about 2003 too. The divison this year will be tough it seems.

The Devils have lost key players over the past 4 years, yet they ALWAYS remain competitive year in and year out. Back to back Atlantic Titles speak louder than any critic's smack! Lou knows how to build a team, what FA players fit, what in-house players are ready to take on bigger roles, and what a player is worth(he won't overpay). They might not appear as strong on paper as other teams in our division but they'll be 1 of 16 teams fighting for the cup once again come May 2008. I think they'll finish in the top 3 of the Atlantic at least and surprise a lot of people as well. All I can ask as a fan is that we remain competitive and have a shot at the cup each year...this one is no different. I'm not worried.

There are aspects of New Jersey that would remind someone of the 06-07 Flyers, but the comparisons end very quickly.

4th isn't out of the realm of possibility - but the Penguins first is a bit much to take. The four veterans Proteau named won't have NHL jobs in 2 years - and Darryl Sydor is about finished.

The Flyers are clearly better than New Jersey on paper, but getting all of those players to play on the same page will take some time. I also don't think John Stevens is a good coach, and that the Flyers will replace him rather quickly if someone better becomes available.

Fourth in the Atlantic doesn't mean the Devils can't advance far in the playoffs anyway. Could still be as high as a sixth seed, and playing against any of the other Atlantic teams in the playoffs, I think we have the edge regardless, simply based on experience.

Last year's team seemed to like the come-from-behind underdog role; if that carries over to this year, maybe a low seed is just what it needs to turn it on in the playoffs.

Of course, I still think this guy is dead wrong and we either win the division are are second.

This is all very excellent. I hope the other media outlets follow suit.

I like being picked out of the running.... better for us..... chance for Sutter to win the J Adams.

We'll replace those lucky wins last year with some bang it up ones this year. The Devils will be no fun to play against and will finish 1st or 2nd in the Atlantic.

This is all very excellent. I hope the other media outlets follow suit.

I like being picked out of the running.... better for us..... chance for Sutter to win the J Adams.

We'll replace those lucky wins last year with some bang it up ones this year. The Devils will be no fun to play against and will finish 1st or 2nd in the Atlantic.

On paper, 4th place seems very feasible...you can't deny the paper impact (or as I like to call it, the NHL 2007 video game impact) of losing Gomer and Falski...it took our team from an 87 to an 84.

However, if we finish 4th, guess what...were still making the playoffs! There is a huge chance that 4 out 5 teams in the Atlantic will make it to the post season...very telling of how good this division got!

On paper, 4th place seems very feasible...you can't deny the paper impact (or as I like to call it, the NHL 2007 video game impact) of losing Gomer and Falski...it took our team from an 87 to an 84.

However, if we finish 4th, guess what...were still making the playoffs! There is a huge chance that 4 out 5 teams in the Atlantic will make it to the post season...very telling of how good this division got!

i hate when people under estimate the Devils, but it makes it that much better when we kick everyones asses. We've lost key players over the years and almost always made 1st or 2nd in our division. We'll be fine this year :koolaid:

They said the same thing in 2003 after we lost Holik, but to find similiarites with the Flyers??? He obviously doesn't follow the eastern division much.

I love it, because I think we will have the potential to give Pittsburgh a run for the conference title. We have much better quality in terms of depth (which was our main problem last year), Zajac, Oduya with a full year under their belts and a good back up to rest Marty.

I hate to say this, but I have us second behind Pitt. The Kid gets better every game he plays and they have added more talent this year as well.

The Rags will self destruct, so I am not worried about them.

Flyers....hahahaha.....enough said, and the same goes for the Isles.

The Devils first line will have to play different. We have no speed up the middle to dump the puck left or right any more. There will be a big body in front of the net though, similar to what we had in Arnot. The second line will gel even more and hopefully get equal ice toime to the 1st line. Looks like the 4th line may even get a bit more time to give 1&2 a rest. Looks like we may get some young legs on the checking line, so I am excited about that. But regardless of waht anyone says.....the defense had problems last year!!!! Mental break downs that left Marty getting sucker punched. Man I saw more 2on1's and 3on1's coming towards Marty than every before. I honestly can't say we addressed that problem. We aren't missing out defensively by not picking up on Souray, but Sutton would have been a GREAT addition. We do have some size now and will beat up some teams. This will help us out in the playoffs, but we have to make it there first.....now Let's Go devils!!!