Paul Martin re-signed!!

sean1827

Martin is one of my favourite Devils.

This contract is so risky.

Im glad he has signed, he is really going to have to show an upturn in his play this season. He showed glimpses of his potential last season, and was sound for the majority of it.

He has to set himself some targets to achieve this season. A few more goals are a must got this team to achieve anything.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin is one of my favourite Devils.

This contract is so risky.

Im glad he has signed, he is really going to have to show an upturn in his play this season. He showed glimpses of his potential last season, and was sound for the majority of it.

He has to set himself some targets to achieve this season. A few more goals are a must got this team to achieve anything.

I don't see how it's risky. Martin has shown, at the very least, that he's a guy who can play 25 minutes a night on a shutdown pairing and do a good job.

I don't see how it's risky. Martin has shown, at the very least, that he's a guy who can play 25 minutes a night on a shutdown pairing and do a good job.

Because its a lot of money to commit to a player who might not get any better.

The first year figure is fine, but the other two figures are based on some improvement.

If he dosnt show that improvement, it will leave a space to be filled on the team, and that contract becomes difficult to shift.

I have faith that paul will justify his wages, but it is still a risk.

The lenght takes the edge off it.

Because its a lot of money to commit to a player who might not get any better.

The first year figure is fine, but the other two figures are based on some improvement.

If he dosnt show that improvement, it will leave a space to be filled on the team, and that contract becomes difficult to shift.

I have faith that paul will justify his wages, but it is still a risk.

The lenght takes the edge off it.

I agree. Martin is a decent player who logs a lot of ice-time. Now he's going to be paid like it. I still feel there's some untapped potential. Will he get there? I guess you'll find out in a couple of years.

Nice signing as that is what Martin is worth. Pair him up with White and you have one hell of a slow defensive pairing. Glad he's signed, but it looks like Lou is waiting for next year and the Redden sweepstakes.

Would you have liked to sign Souray to a long term deal and have a legit PP dman or take your chances on Redden next year?

This year we suffer on D and have some Marty Parties while we wait to sign the likes of Redden. Not a bad thing as we finally have a decent backup but I like NOW and 25 goals from the point on the PPlay would have been nice moving into a new building.

Congrats Lou on not overpaying for another defensive dman, but we have nothing at the point as far as the PP is concerned and Souray/Martin would have been nice.

Congrats Lou on not overpaying for another defensive dman, but we have nothing at the point as far as the PP is concerned and Souray/Martin would have been nice.

I think Lou is hoping that he can rotate Martin/Greene/Rachneck and have a decent PP. That really seems to be the only option for the PP at the time.

Anyway, I think this is a very good signing. Getting Martin for anything under 4 mil per year is definitely worth it.

Heh, don't all those guys who said Martin doesn't deserve $4mil a year feel like idiots. This really is the best way to structure a contract, by giving the player what the GM thinks he'll be worth each year instead of one set amount each year.

Me likey. Hopefully Paul will play to a level that's more than his contract is worth and become one of the elite d-men in the league.

As for next summer, if Corrente isn't ready yet I think Lou lets go of some combination of Oduya, Matvichuk, Rachunek and we end up going after a big name like Wade Redden.

Lou has made mistakes before, so no I dont feel like an idiot. This was a bad contract imo hopefully i get proven wrong but until then nothing anyone said here makes me feel any better about this

But the market isn't like that right now away. Look at Dustin Penner.

I really like the deals for Parise and Martin. Not because of what they're getting, but because of what other players are getting who have the same youth + potential as Martin and Parise.

You dont base RFA contracts off of RFA offer sheets. its such a horrible comparison because with an offersheet you HAVE to over pay, thats what makes the original team not match.

Lou has made mistakes before, so no I dont feel like an idiot. This was a bad contract imo hopefully i get proven wrong but until then nothing anyone said here makes me feel any better about this

When Paul Mara makes more per season than Paul Martin, I think you'll see that Lou knows what he's doing here.

I like the deal year 1. If he doesn't hit the upside we're all expecting, then I think it's a bad contract as he's just not worth $4.5mill playing at the level he has. He NEEDS to be a leader. He NEEDS to use his skating and stick handling ability and help out on the Power Play and he NEEDS to play tougher in the corners for an entire season. Learn to shoot the puck with some giddy up as well. You're our number 1 now-- we expect more! He's no longer that $1.5mill per yearor so kid that we talk about in terms of next year. Next year is NOW.

Paul--play to your God given skills and we'll be saying "Rafi who?" ...

And.....wonder if there's a no trade clause in there.

The bottom line is, Paul's been here for a while now, is solid defensively and although took a small step back last year, has been improving every season. He's ready to take on the new role he's being given, and hopefully (along with Elias, Gionta, and Co.) can have bounce back offensive years.

A guy who's been here for a while will take that contract as a responsibility way more than a guy signing here as a free agent. That's why I rarely get tossed over slightly overpaying a guy who's been here. If Martin plays up to the contract and improves (again with an improving offense and Larry Robinson focus coaching), than this contract is well worth it. Also, I'd rather pay a guy going into his prime, than a 31 year old who may have seen better years past.

Call me crazy, but I can't freak out about Paul Martin just yet...it's basically a toss up. If he emerges as a top line defenseman like everyone says he will, the deal is great. If he falters and plays like he has during the past few seasons...it's stinks on ice. Personally, I don thnk he has the tools to be a number 1 defensemen...no stats, figures or analysis to back that up...just have a feeling he's not that kind of player.

Given the status of the market, however, this deal makes sense...plus, the contract isn't so unreasonable that he couldn't be involved in a trade at some point...ignore that statement if he has a NTC, which I highly doubt.

Here's a list of defensemen making 3.5-4 million a year on the UFA market - Willie Mitchell, Jay Mckee, Brad Stuart, Marek Zidlicky, Cory Sarich, Robyn Regehr, Adrian Aucoin, Derek Morris, Nick Boynton, Sami Salo, Eric Brewer, Jaroslav Spacek, Chris Phillips, Derian Hatcher, Tom Poti.

Paul Martin makes the same money as Tom Poti and Brad Stuart, and slightly less than Cory Sarich - all three signed this past off-season.

Here's a list of defensemen making 3.5-4 million a year on the UFA market - Willie Mitchell, Jay Mckee, Brad Stuart, Marek Zidlicky, Cory Sarich, Robyn Regehr, Adrian Aucoin, Derek Morris, Nick Boynton, Sami Salo, Eric Brewer, Jaroslav Spacek, Chris Phillips, Derian Hatcher, Tom Poti.

Paul Martin makes the same money as Tom Poti and Brad Stuart, and slightly less than Cory Sarich - all three signed this past off-season.

I understand the situation the Devils were in, given what the market is and given that losing him would be a tough blow. The Martin deal is not crazy. It's still a very good deal for him, regardless of what some dope paid Tom Poti. Most of the guys you have listed are better than Paul Martin, by the way, or were better when they signed those deals. In my mind, Paul Martin has something to prove now, but that ain't such a bad thing.

I understand the situation the Devils were in, given what the market is and given that losing him would be a tough blow. The Martin deal is not crazy. It's still a very good deal for him, regardless of what some dope paid Tom Poti. Most of the guys you have listed are better than Paul Martin, by the way, or were better when they signed those deals. In my mind, Paul Martin has something to prove now, but that ain't such a bad thing.

Yeah, but my point was that the market will be even worse next year. Most of those players are or were better - but this contract is signed for the 2008 off-season, when defenders will be hiring dumptrucks to haul the money away from sucker franchises. Even if Paul Mara has a bad season he'll probably be paid more than Paul Martin.

Martin will get 40 points next year without a doubt.

I am coming from a different area I guess because I look at Martin's deal and he is getting paid a fair deal just based on his performance the last 2 seasons and the improvement that should come will just make this contract even better. I would say on the list Tri mentioned Martin is better than most of them. Maybe with Rafalski gone Martin is going to be the guy that doesn't get enough credit because he isn't exciting to watch.