Two die, 83 arrested at Ozzfest

MadDog2020

I agree that shooting heroin in your pickup truck or blowing an 8 ball before a concert is uncalled for, and obviously those people have some issues....

But drinking a bunch of beer and smoking some weed (doing a little blow, if your into that , im not)

at a concert is pretty much an american pastime at this point, so I dont see why someone should be classified as an idiot for doing so.....

Look, I'm all for drinking in the parking lot before a show, and for most people that's one of the great things about going to a PNC show. And while I don't exactly agree with it, if you want to smoke weed before the show to, and you're doing it privately, you're not really hurting anyone, so fine. But I don't see how "doing a little blow" is a national pasttime pre-concerts...I really do think that that's in the smallest of the minority of concertgoers. And frankly, if you are doing that before a show (particularly an all-day outdoors midsummer show), then you are an idiot.

And when your doing that causes you to die, and when you death causes thousands of other sensible people to pay for your stupidity, then you're a bigger idiot than the folks who get so drunk they don't even remember being at a concert, let alone how it was.

Look, I'm all for drinking in the parking lot before a show, and for most people that's one of the great things about going to a PNC show. And while I don't exactly agree with it, if you want to smoke weed before the show to, and you're doing it privately, you're not really hurting anyone, so fine. But I don't see how "doing a little blow" is a national pasttime pre-concerts...I really do think that that's in the smallest of the minority of concertgoers. And frankly, if you are doing that before a show (particularly an all-day outdoors midsummer show), then you are an idiot.

And when your doing that causes you to die, and when you death causes thousands of other sensible people to pay for your stupidity, then you're a bigger idiot than the folks who get so drunk they don't even remember being at a concert, let alone how it was.

Yes.

You know what, MD, kids nowadays are friggen nuts. When I was a teenager, yeah, I had my moments, but I never found the need to get absolutely bombed or high just to enjoy a concert for crying out loud.

Hell, I look at the high school I graduated from -- used to be one of the top ranked schools in the state, now it's completely fallen off the map for its academics. It's now looked at as a school filled with out of control kids who have major substance abuse problems.

I was just about to post something similar RD. No offense but some kids today just are completely out of control and take it too far. Binge drinking where you've seen alcohol related deaths due to poisoning like that terrible tragedy at I think Rider last year.

And the worst aspect is they start even younger. You have kids drinking at 12 or 13 in some cases. That's just crazy.

And it's like they want to get bombed. It's just gotten stupid.

These kids are just stupid flat out, no way getting around it. I dont care what people do behind closed doors but i dont want to see someone snorting coke and bugging out infront of me.

It just seems like all these kids getting drunk at concerts arent doing it to just have a good time, its just about getting drunk just for the point of getting drunk and being "cool."

We might not agree much on hockey but this is exactly my sentiment. It used to be about having a good time. Now it's about getting totally wasted and living to tell about it.

I was just about to post something similar RD. No offense but some kids today just are completely out of control and take it too far. Binge drinking where you've seen alcohol related deaths due to poisoning like that terrible tragedy at I think Rider last year.

And the worst aspect is they start even younger. You have kids drinking at 12 or 13 in some cases. That's just crazy.

When I was about 13, a lot of kids started getting into the idea of drinking. I think it was different though. Kids were more about the idea of doing something they knew they shouldn't be doing -- sneaking into parents' liquor cabinets (yet, not sneaking enough to actually get drunk on account of "oh man, they might notice it's missing!"), bringing a Gatorade bottle into school that had a wine cooler in it...crap like that. I definitely was a part of that, but I probably didn't drink to get legitimately drunk until maybe 16, 17 years old. Even then, it was just, hey let's have a good time tonight, rather than hey let's get so ridiculously bombed that I won't even remember anything!

I think that's where there seems to be a shift in dynamic -- too many kids LIKE the feeling of loss of control, whether it is what is trendy at the time or not. Coming from a drug standpoint, I know a lot of kids around here seem to be into heroin because it's the "in" thing right now. I look no further than these kids Myspace pages, proclaiming their love for drugs and alcohol, belonging to groups with names along the lines of "I LUV SEX N DRUGS!@!" I just feel like it's not something you should necessarily flaunt, unless you are doing it merely for the coolness factor -- other kids will think you're bad ass because you do drugs. Sigh.

I'd rather take part in another American pastime - oh, I don't know, maybe baseball, than go and drink a ton of beer, snort some cocaine, and smoke pot at a concert.

Regardless, I don't need to be comatose to enjoy a concert. These kids were obviously doing massive amounts of these substances to go into cardiac arrest.

Sure, drugs are a part of life, and I'm no saint myself. But yeah, these kids are being idiotic by combining such large quantities of drugs and alcohol and expecting to merely have a good time.

When I was about 13, a lot of kids started getting into the idea of drinking. I think it was different though. Kids were more about the idea of doing something they knew they shouldn't be doing -- sneaking into parents' liquor cabinets (yet, not sneaking enough to actually get drunk on account of "oh man, they might notice it's missing!"), bringing a Gatorade bottle into school that had a wine cooler in it...crap like that. I definitely was a part of that, but I probably didn't drink to get legitimately drunk until maybe 16, 17 years old. Even then, it was just, hey let's have a good time tonight, rather than hey let's get so ridiculously bombed that I won't even remember anything!

I think that's where there seems to be a shift in dynamic -- too many kids LIKE the feeling of loss of control, whether it is what is trendy at the time or not. Coming from a drug standpoint, I know a lot of kids around here seem to be into heroin because it's the "in" thing right now. I look no further than these kids Myspace pages, proclaiming their love for drugs and alcohol, belonging to groups with names along the lines of "I LUV SEX N DRUGS!@!" I just feel like it's not something you should necessarily flaunt, unless you are doing it merely for the coolness factor -- other kids will think you're bad ass because you do drugs. Sigh.

Let me preface this comment by saying that I do not use cocaine.

It is a disgusting drug that people die for so rich white people can snort it and feel excited for 30 minutes.

However, its not going to kill you...in moderate amounts its about as dangerous as drinking a cup of coffee and taking a shot of whiskey. The process of snorting it is what is bad for you, because it goes right to your brain....Like I said, not my thing, but I really hate when people demonize drugs they have never used, and just regurgitate things they heard on a drug free america commercial

BUT...when you combine cocaine with alcohol, large amounts of caffiene, and the stress of being outdoors in hot/humid conditions, in a crowd (the first kid was wheeled out from the second stage area)...THAT can (and aparently did) kill you.

Sorry if I made it seem like you used cocaine, that wasn't my intention, the "you" was meant to be a general statement, not you personally.