If Niedermayer does return, it won't be for season opener

hattrick

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3006513

After debating for weeks whether or not he'll return to the NHL, Scott Niedermayer may be ready to give his answer.

The Anaheim Ducks announced Wednesday that the veteran defenseman will be informally available to the media Thursday at 1:30 p.m. ET to "discuss his playing status." The team did not reveal any more information about the media session or Niedermayer's decision.

Niedermayer, 34, was set to meet with Ducks GM Brian Burke on Wednesday to discuss his plans for the future, according to a report from The Los Angeles Times.

"Obviously, with camp opening in a week, we need to know what's going on," Burke told the newspaper.

The reigning Conn Smythe Trophy winner told the Ducks right after the team won the Stanley Cup in June that he was leaning toward retirement. But as the weeks wore on, he was moving more toward the fence.

"It's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be," Niedermayer recently said during his Cup celebration in Cranbrook, British Columbia. "I don't have the right answer. I don't know when I'll have that answer. I'm waiting for someone to tell me [what the right answer is].

"I've made [the decision] a few times. It's changed a few times," Niedermayer added. "I really don't know when it'll be finalized."

One thing is almost certain, though. Even if Niedermayer decides to give it one more go, he won't be on hand when the Ducks open the season. If Niedermayer does come back, it would be after the team returns from their trip to London, England, where they will open the NHL season on Sept. 29 and 30 with two games against Los Angeles. The Ducks then play three road games in the East and Niedermayer said he won't be ready to play in at least the London games.

It's entirely possible Niedermayer will wait until later in the season to return to action. He has two years left on a contract that would pay him $6.75 million a year. The Ducks signed free-agent defenseman Mathieu Schneider as an insurance policy against Niedermayer's potential retirement. If Niedermayer starts the season in limbo, he simply would be suspended without pay by the team and his salary wouldn't count against the cap until he returns. Then, it would be pro-rated depending on how much of the season remained.

Niedermayer has won a Memorial Cup and World Junior Championship gold medal, a World Championship, a World Cup of Hockey title, an Olympic gold medal and, of course, four Stanley Cups, three with the New Jersey Devils and the latest with the Ducks. Individually, Niedermayer won the Conn Smythe Trophy in June to go with the Norris Trophy he won as the league's outstanding defenseman in 2004 and a host of All-Star appearances and other individual awards.

If he decides to come back in the middle of the year that is going to be one hell of a pick up for an already awesome defense. I wonder how a decision to come back would affect his captaincy?

If he does come back, I hope it is in time for the Fri Feb 8, 2008 game against the Devils at The Rock. I think there are a lot of fans who want to voice their opinions of him in New Jersey.

Great he wont be coming to london. :rolleyes:

I thought i would get to see one of the great Devils play, i guess not. I have seats close to the glass and next to the Benches for the game i was gonna wear my devils jersey, see if it had any effect.

As for him retiring , he might as well just do it now go out on a high, after acheving so much in one season it makes sense.

NIEDERMAYER WILL SKIP CAMP; SELANNE LEANING TOWARDS RETIRING, SOURCE

by Mike Brophy

Ducks defenseman Scott Niedermayer will discuss his playing future Thursday at 1 p.m. EST, where, a source tells The Hockey News, the Conn Smythe winner will reveal he will not be attending Ducks training camp.

Niedermayer, who helped Anaheim become the first West Coast-based Stanley Cup champion, this past June, said afterwards he would consider retiring after a fruitful 14-year NHL career during which he won four Cups

OK...I am a little confused. He is under contract, not injured, but won't play....isn't that just a tad rude? If he doesn't want to start the season, then surely, that is the answer....he doesn't want to play, so retire. He really does like to fvck over his teams doesn't he.

OK...I am a little confused. He is under contract, not injured, but won't play....isn't that just a tad rude? If he doesn't want to start the season, then surely, that is the answer....he doesn't want to play, so retire. He really does like to fvck over his teams doesn't he.

This is stupid. If, at his age, he's contemplating retirement.. then he should go ahead and do it. Just because he retires doens't mean he never gets to play hockey again!

What is his being a pro about to him anyhow? If its about fun and love of the game then stop now, because obviously it's not fun enough. If it WAS fun enough he'd never even CONSIDER retiring. The pro game does not appropriately express his love of hockey. So what if nothing out there does any more so? well then I guess you dont love hockey so much -- no shame in that. We can't all be Scott Stevens - the perfect mix of love of the game, pride and competitive nature. Dont even compare yourself - you're two very different guys.

If it about what people think of him - well that's just nonsense. People think he's an unreliable dipsh!t now who has no idea why he's in the game. If he needs his audience to tell him what to do... what is that...

Here you go Scottyboy: This, above all: To thine own self be true, and it must then follow, as the day the night, thou cansst not then be false to any man.

If you're doing what I or your mom or your fans want then you're giving everyone short shrift. Do what you want - I think that's leave unless someone else is tell you to leave - but it sounds more like you think someone is telling you to stay. :noclue: Only you know dude.

Edited by Pepperkorn

It cant be an easy decision...you've accomplished everything at every level so what is left to prove to anyone??? Nothing at all, so in that sense he can walk away with no regrets.

But if you still have that love of the game in your heart it's not so easy to just walk away.

It cant be an easy decision...you've accomplished everything at every level so what is left to prove to anyone??? Nothing at all, so in that sense he can walk away with no regrets.

But if you still have that love of the game in your heart it's not so easy to just walk away.

Edited by Triumph

Point is the guy knows in his heart he doesn't love the NHL game so much. He's just scared there will be nothing to fill the void. but he has TONS to fill the void. So what if his mom has nothing to fill the void? What if he loses some sort of celebrity power he enjoys now? He still has the cash so he wont lose any power that actually matter to his life.

He's got nothing to lose in retiring. Staying brings on ZERO catharsis. He'll only know what he's lost AFTER he's lost it. and keeping one toe in the water tells you NOTHING. just tells me your an indecisive schlub who wants it both ways. Why not make an actually MOVE -- be decisive for once. Make a choice on your own before your 40. :doh1: (Man I may as well be writing to myself here :puke: ) Without making a choice you're not fully comitted to ANYTHING -- so youwont reach the heights of anything - you wont reach your true potetial -- this is your WHOLE LIFE TRAUMA :argh::argh::argh:

Stevens choice was pretty tortured with good reason as biotchy as I was about it. This is just - well it's Neidermayer. There ought to be a series about everyone running this guys life and call it "That's so Niedermayer"

Teh scott Niedermayer smilie: tit.gif

Edited by Pepperkorn

Officially suspended:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ah_d...p&type=lgns

Ducks officially suspend star defenceman Scott Niedermayer as camp opens

Canadian Press

September 11, 2007

ANAHEIM, Calif. (CP) - The Anaheim Ducks officially suspended Scott Niedermayer on Tuesday, a formality that was expected on the first day of camp with the star defenceman a no-show.

"Yes, he was suspended today," Ducks GM Brian Burke said during an NHL media conference call. "I spoke with Scott to tell him he was being suspended, which Scotty expected."

The move means Niedermayer's US$6.75-million won't count against Anaheim's salary cap while he continues to mull over his playing future. The Ducks stand at around $49 million under the $50.3-million salary cap - counting Niedermayer's salary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Niedermayer, who turned 34 on Aug. 31, has yet to decide whether or not he will retire. Nor has 37-year-old winger Teemu Selanne, an unrestricted free agent who led the Ducks with 48 goals last season.

"I met with Teemu this morning," said Burke. "But no change. No direction from either player as to what their plans are."

Niedermayer won the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP last spring while earning his fourth Stanley Cup ring. Niedermayer, New Jersey's first choice and third overall in the 1991 entry draft, has racked up 608 points (140 goals, 468 assists) in 1,053 career regular-season games - including a career-high 69 points (15-54) in 79 games last season.

Edited by squishyx