Dion Phanuef question

xxchaznjxx

a friend and i were talking devils hockey and he brought this up to me. he told me that, barring calgary giving him a contract this season, dion would be an RFA next season. now this is a devils team that's built on defense and having him as a cornerstone would be great. my question is do you think lou would ever make him an offer considering that's not lou's way. my friend thinks he would be dumb not to but i just don't see lou doing that. i'm not necessarily for that either, but if ever there was a player who would make you want to break that rule, it would be him. i was wondering if anyone else felt that would be ok to do or if you think giving up all those draft picks for him would be dumb, considering he would have to get a max type of offer.

Given what has happened this off season you will see guys like Phaneuf etc get contracts before they become RFA's. Zajac may get the same thing in 08 - 09. Calgary wont risk Phaneuf becoming an RFA. and again, this is causing the younger players to make more money and the NHL to get back to where it was pre lockout.

Given what has happened this off season you will see guys like Phaneuf etc get contracts before they become RFA's. Zajac may get the same thing in 08 - 09. Calgary wont risk Phaneuf becoming an RFA. and again, this is causing the younger players to make more money and the NHL to get back to where it was pre lockout.

When you guys say the "younger players" are going to be making more money than the older guys, what age group defines young? Because I'm pretty sure the NHL as a league does not make enough dough each year to be paying 20-26 year olds $5-8 mil. a year.

The NHL needs to try to keep RFA's from signing huge contracts while at the same time making sure little to no players are signing huge offer sheets after one good year (Penner).

Considering the NHL isn't as big a market as the NFL, MLB, or NBA, teams should be waiting to give players those $5-8 million contracts until a player comes along who is at least 27-28 y/o, in his prime, and has had at least 4-5 good years beforehand (Drury).

The NHL just can't be throwing out Carl Pavano-type salaries to a player who isn't quite proven (Yankees... sorry I'm a laughing Mets fan)...

When you guys say the "younger players" are going to be making more money than the older guys, what age group defines young? Because I'm pretty sure the NHL as a league does not make enough dough each year to be paying 20-26 year olds $5-8 mil. a year.

The NHL needs to try to keep RFA's from signing huge contracts while at the same time making sure little to no players are signing huge offer sheets after one good year (Penner).

Considering the NHL isn't as big a market as the NFL, MLB, or NBA, teams should be waiting to give players those $5-8 million contracts until a player comes along who is at least 27-28 y/o, in his prime, and has had at least 4-5 good years beforehand (Drury).

The NHL just can't be throwing out Carl Pavano-type salaries to a player who isn't quite proven (Yankees... sorry I'm a laughing Mets fan)...

Never considering other teams' RFAs is just stupid. I doubt we'll see many Vanek type offers as there aren't many teams willing to give up 4 first rounders, but we should see more Kesler/Penner type offers. Most of the top 20-26 year olds do not make 5-8 mil.

Parise 3.125

Horton 4.0

Whitney 4.0

Weiss 3.1

Roy 4.0

Michalek 4.3

M. Koivu 3.25

Hemsky 4.1

Penner 4.25

And those are all on multi-year deals.

Phanuef would be an excelent aquisition, but the cost of getting him would be to high,we would deffinatley have to offer him a contract which would require us to give up 4 1st's and looking at that i dont think its worth it.

Because of our history of good drafting, even late in the 1st round, i think we would probably be able to get 2 quality players out of 4 draft years. If we lose thoes picks we will have to adress all our team needs through free agency.

So although i think Phanuef is the best young defenceman in the leauge, i dont think its worth sacraficing depth in the organisation to get him, so i dont think the rfa rout will be an aspect lou persues.

Idk, if you are constantly picking in the bottom 5 spots 4 fist rounders might we worth it. Not like you are gaurenteed a Dion Phanuef with 4 relativly low picks every year.

Similar logic would apply to the Flames, so they would probably match any offer sheet.

The Devils wont offer 4 picks for him. I would be totally surprised if someone else dose.

If we offer him a wage over a certain level we will have to :

Offer sheet = Compensation

$660,000 or below = None

>$660,000 - $1mil = 3rd rounder

>$1 mil - $ 2 mil = 2nd rounder

>$2 mil - $ 3 mil = 1st & 3rd rounder

>$3 mil - $ 4 mil = 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounder

>$4 mil - $ 5 mil = 2-1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounder

>$5 mil = 4-1st rounders

To get Phaneuf we would have to offer a lot for Calgary to not match it, i would say deffinatley in the region of 4 draft picks.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9