The Cruel Realities of Being an NHL Fan in London

NJD Jester

I'm doing a mini-series on FanHouse about the NHL in London, so when I saw that our own Chimaira_Devil_#9 would be attending his first game this weekend, I decided to touch base for an interview. The end result is here:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/27/...-nhl-fan-in-lo/

Thanks to Ben for a great, enlightening interview. There's some very eye-opening stuff in there about what it's like to follow the NHL having never lived in North America.

<JESTER>

Edited by NJD Jester

I have a friend in England who basically said the same thing. The coverage of the NHL is very poor due to time differences.

He has to stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning for some games. These games being played there will be good for exposure but there is no way an NHL team could survive there right now.

Edited by brodeurrocks

I sure feel his pain. I sit up for at least 82 Devils games a year, just to listen to them...it's a HUGE bonus when a Devils game is on TV over here or online. But I also watch the other teams as much as I can. I have obligations with the studies and all...but I just can't skip Devils games.

It's 3 am over here right now, but I'm up because I just can't wait for the season to start! :)

Cheers guys im heading down to the arena tomorrow to try and get in to watch a practice session.

Thanks to Jester for giving me the oppertunity. :evil:

Enjoyed the read jester/ben. there are pockets in the US that is horrible as well for hockey coverage. Ben, I know it's expensive, but have you made a trip to the states? or do you have one planned?

Enjoyed the read jester/ben. there are pockets in the US that is horrible as well for hockey coverage. Ben, I know it's expensive, but have you made a trip to the states? or do you have one planned?

Yeah i am gonna make a trip some time next year, i tried to go for the opening of the rock , but last year i spent

Cheers guys im heading down to the arena tomorrow to try and get in to watch a practice session.

Thanks to Jester for giving me the oppertunity. :evil:

dude when i was in london last year during the playoffs i was DYING because i couldn't watch the games! I never made it over to the Maple Leaf but that was th e only place i had hoped would air games.

dude when i was in london last year during the playoffs i was DYING because i couldn't watch the games! I never made it over to the Maple Leaf but that was th e only place i had hoped would air games.

That place is cool they always show sport , and the have a canada day parade. :dance:

I know of a few other places that show it but if anything else is on they dont.

When i was in Santorini in greece on a feild trip , i found a sports bar, and Irish bar called Murphys and they showed most NHL playoff game, Good times.

If you want Irish beer, American sport and your stuck in Greece thats the place to go :boogie:

Nice read... I feel about the same in France as most of the hockey fans are following French league and a little but the NHL, but far behind.

I don't know a place to watch games in my town unfortunately, even if Tours is a pretty big hockey town.

As for Crosby, I think in France you'll be lucky if you find 5 people knowing him. I'm pretty sure it would be less.