Elias, Gionta and Zubrus each get an 'A'

Devs4LIFE

Blech...I don't like the idea of Zubrus walking in and getting an A...should go to someone who has actually played a game for the team. Madden, Pando, even Brylin would be a better choice than Zubrus.

I think it's called "merit-based achievement".

I take it as if he has earned it, or otherwise Sutter's an impulse judgment kind of guy.

IMO, I would prefer an A or C to be one that sticks around for a bit.

Whereas the other 3, while all worthy candidates, will likely all be gone in 2-3 seasons, if not sooner.

Here too, I feel our next Captain should be one who, in addition to all the other requisite qualities, will be around for the next 4-5-6 seasons.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think either White or Langs would be a poor choice for captain. As much a hate rolling "A"s, there really isn't a clear cut choice right now. This will have to do for now.

As I posted on the other "A" thread, Zubrus is also a bad choice...you should give it to someone who has spent some time in the organization, or at least played a single game. Not backing Sutter on this one...

How do we know who deserves a letter? I mean we can go to practices and watch games and see how a player plays and leads on the ice, but off the ice we don't know anything. What happens in the locker room is key and I trust Sutter's judgment of that environment.

I think it's called "merit-based achievement".

I take it as if he has earned it, or otherwise Sutter's an impulse judgment kind of guy.

IMO, I would prefer an A or C to be one that sticks around for a bit.

Whereas the other 3, while all worthy candidates, will likely all be gone in 2-3 seasons, if not sooner.

Here too, I feel our next Captain should be one who, in addition to all the other requisite qualities, will be around for the next 4-5-6 seasons.

What merit? He played in a few pre-season games. I think Madden is more deserving of an A than Zubrus, hands down. As for sticking around, I don't mind if the "A" changes year to year. I do agree that the "C" should be a someone who is goind to be around for a while...again, probably a reason why we don't have one yet.

I think this is exactly the problem...Sutter doesn't really know this team at all, which is why he hasn't picked a captain yet. I think this entire season, or a good portion of it, is going to be a transitional period. Expect alot of line changes, different players holding letters and some inconsistancy.

No, I think Sutter is putting his stamp on this team with an exclamation point. As far as he is concerned this is an entirely new team, what you did in the past here does not matter. Zubrus has just as much right to the "A" as anyone in his eyes. This is the kind of no nonsense coaching this team has sorely lacked. I can tell you first hand from viewing various training camp over the years, Sutter runs a no BS, high tempo, and hard practice. Everything is Sutters way, it's pretty obvious to see. Heck look at the breaking up of Madden, and Pando, that would never even be considered in the past, and that was one of things that needed to be done. Matching lines killed us in the playoffs last year, and by the time the coaching staff adjusted it was too late. I'm bummed Pando will only get fourth line minutes, but obviously that is where Sutter sees him at this point. I'm excited to see how these new combos pan out.

Or MAYBE they'll surprise everyone with Stevens coming out of retirement and making him the Capt! :boogie::dance:

I'll get a towel for pk

I like the mixed up lines. I like Maddog getting to go back to wing. I like spreading out the talent on the 1a and 1b line :giggle:

There will not be rotating A's. There are allowed to be 3 A's as long as you don't have a C.

I am not fond of a bunch of offensive captains.

I hope a D-man steps up and gets an A, although it does make sense to have the three different o-line guys as the A's since they will rarely be out on the ice at the same time.

I do not think it matters that Zubrus got an A w/o having played a game with us yet. His leadership is what matters, and if Sutter saw it than so be it.

I think Marty is the true CAPTAIN. But there hasn't been a Goalie Captain in over 50 years.

No, I think Sutter is putting his stamp on this team with an exclamation point. As far as he is concerned this is an entirely new team, what you did in the past here does not matter. Zubrus has just as much right to the "A" as anyone in his eyes. This is the kind of no nonsense coaching this team has sorely lacked. I can tell you first hand from viewing various training camp over the years, Sutter runs a no BS, high tempo, and hard practice. Everything is Sutters way, it's pretty obvious to see. Heck look at the breaking up of Madden, and Pando, that would never even be considered in the past, and that was one of things that needed to be done. Matching lines killed us in the playoffs last year, and by the time the coaching staff adjusted it was too late. I'm bummed Pando will only get fourth line minutes, but obviously that is where Sutter sees him at this point. I'm excited to see how these new combos pan out.

Fair point...I just can't put blind faith into the guy. I appreciate his want for it to be "his team" but what is he basing these descisions on? A 2 weeks of training camp? I just think this team is going to look lost and a step behind until they start to learn each other again. Hopefully it wont take too long.

I do like this teams prognosis for the future though...let's just wait and see before we declare Sutter the next Pat Burns.

Back on topic, I just wish he would have picked someone who knows the team and the players...it's a minor gripe. :noclue:

Edit :

I think Marty is the true CAPTAIN. But there hasn't been a Goalie Captain in over 50 years.

Couldn't agree with you more, Masked.

Edited by Bulletproof

From Gulitti's Blog....

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

No captain to start season

Devils coach Brent Sutter said today that the team will open the regular season Thursday night at Tampa Bay with three alternate captains and no captain. Patrik Elias, the Devils' captain last season, Brian Gionta and newcomer Dainius Zubrus will wear the A's.

Sutter said he would make a decision on whether to have a captain and who it will be after Jamie Langenbrunner returns from sports hernia surgery (probably near the end of November).

"There won't be a decision on the captaincy until Langenbrunner is healthy," Sutter said.

Elias struggled in his first season as captain and Sutter hinted that had something to do with not ordaining him as captain again right now.

"I

I think either White or Langs would be a poor choice for captain. As much a hate rolling "A"s, there really isn't a clear cut choice right now. This will have to do for now.

As I posted on the other "A" thread, Zubrus is also a bad choice...you should give it to someone who has spent some time in the organization, or at least played a single game. Not backing Sutter on this one...

Can you elaborate on why you feel that way about Langs & White ?

I'm curious because different people have different criteria for who/what a Captain should be.

I understand your point about Zubrus being new.

But Sutter appears to want to put his stamp on the team, and he must not feel that what happened in the past has an impact on 2007-08.

I think this is exactly the problem...Sutter doesn't really know this team at all, which is why he hasn't picked a captain yet. I think this entire season, or a good portion of it, is going to be a transitional period. Expect alot of line changes, different players holding letters and some inconsistancy.

And to think I had such a peaceful easy feeling about this team a month ago... :unsure:

How does he not know the team? I'm sure he knows what kind of players everyone is and such as well as we do. He is the guy running practice and standing behind them during the preseason games so far. I'm sure he has a good assessment of who deserves to be wearing the A's. We have no idea what it is like in the locker room, on the bench, etc. and he does, therefore he is obviously in a better position to judge worthiness of captaincy than any of us.

All the players were aware that the captaincy was up for grabs this training camp, and they were all on an even level at the start and needed to prove themselves. If Zubrus proved himself worthy more than anyone else (not including Elias and Gionta) then he deserves to be an alternate.

How does he not know the team? I'm sure he knows what kind of players everyone is and such as well as we do. He is the guy running practice and standing behind them during the preseason games so far. I'm sure he has a good assessment of who deserves to be wearing the A's. We have no idea what it is like in the locker room, on the bench, etc. and he does, therefore he is obviously in a better position to judge worthiness of captaincy than any of us.

I say he doesn't know the team because he has seen them perform in practices and in preseason games against B squads...much different than a real game. I'm not saying he wont get to know the team...he most certainly will. I'm just expecting to see some changes as the season goes on and those changes lead to inconsistancy.

As for Langs and White not being good candidacy choices, I'm in the locker room alot! I clean up after them and Langs is a freaking slob...3 Muskateers wrappers all over the place...just disgusting. I'm not even going to go into White's stall....

Obviously, I'm being a wisea$$...they just don't scream captain to me, thats all. Not only is a captain a leader in the locker room, but they become the face of the franchise. Would you be comfortable with Colin White being the face of the franchise? Langs? IMO, and it's strictly opinion, I wouldn't be. Luckily, Marty is our true leader...maybe Sutter will break all semblance of convention and plaster a "C" on Marty...but I think there's a rule against that or something...

Sorry...back on task...to me Langs and White don't seem like captain material for all the reasons (or lack thereof) that somebody may think they would be great. In the end, you're right. We really don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Just wouldn't like it. :noclue:

From Gulitti's Blog....

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/

No captain to start season

Devils coach Brent Sutter said today that the team will open the regular season Thursday night at Tampa Bay with three alternate captains and no captain. Patrik Elias, the Devils' captain last season, Brian Gionta and newcomer Dainius Zubrus will wear the A's.

Sutter said he would make a decision on whether to have a captain and who it will be after Jamie Langenbrunner returns from sports hernia surgery (probably near the end of November).

"There won't be a decision on the captaincy until Langenbrunner is healthy," Sutter said.

Elias struggled in his first season as captain and Sutter hinted that had something to do with not ordaining him as captain again right now.

"I

I like the decisions overall, although I am not thrilled with rotating 'A's either. To be honest, I see Sutter as the team's leader though, so I think this team can survive without a captain for awhile, not like in 05-06 where I thought it hurt us.

Gionta and Elias deserve it, and I like Zubrus having an A as well. I think it will force him to give an honest effort every night which should make him that much better a player. As much as I like Madden and Pando, I'm glad Sutter is taking the emphasis off the "checking line" by breaking them up and not making them 'A's. This team needs to keep moving in a new direction.

I think we're all kidding ourselves if we think we have a better idea on who the leaders of the team are more than Sutter does.

Exactly, sometimes fans need to realize that they are just that--a fan. There is a reason why the GMs and coaches are GMs and coaches and we are just talking about the team on the internet.

Exactly, sometimes fans need to realize that they are just that--a fan. There is a reason why the GMs and coaches are GMs and coaches and we are just talking about the team on the internet.

I hope that wasn't directed at me...in the end we are all just "fans with opinions" which don't amount to jack squat! ::yes, that's a Matt Foley reference::

We gather here on this fantasitc "world wide web" to complain about moves, voice our worthless opinions and chit chat about how the Rangers suck. Yeah, I get it. I think I'm just tired of all this rah rah Sutter talk when all the guy has done is rearrange the team because we beat the Islanders twice during the preseason. He strips Patty of the C...we yell, "God bless Sutter!!" He breaks up Madden and Pando and we shout, "Brilliant!! Why didn't WE thnk of that?!". He makes a player who has never worn a Devils sweater in a regular season an assistant captain and we say, "Don't know the guy, but Sutter likes him, so he must be gold!"

All I did was question the golden boy's most recent descison and the tide rises against me...no big deal...thats why we are here.

Just my worthless opinion against yours. B )

For the most part, I just think Sutter is letting us know who he thinks is leading right now, not even thinking about the past. He's making this Sutter's year. And I can respect that. But I assume Langenbrunner will get at least an A when he comes back, but I guess we'll see where Zubrus' goes. It's interesting though that two of them will be on the same line, and I still feel like Gio will still spend some time with Zubrus and Elias. Gee, then we really would have an A line.

I think gios spot is with zajac and parise and he will perform his best there. I jsut dont like not havign a C.

I have no problem with it. Its better to not prematurely name someone and be wrong than to wait. Plus, the team did well in the 2005-06 by going with 3 A's, so no worries on my part.

As far as all the Zubrus bashing, you know he WAS a bit of a leader in Washington. Maybe not a C but ask Ovechkin about Zubrus taking him under his wing.

BlueSkirt makes a good point about Madden, but I think he's just not as much of a leader as most people think he is. Just because someone yaps more than the next guy doesn't make them a leader.

And saying you won't name a C until Langs comes back tells me he is the choice, otherwise why not just name one of the chosen three now, or even say we'll wait on it for a few weeks instead of definitively saying the decision will be made then.