GDT: Devils @ Ottawa

Devilsdude530

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough loss for the Devils today. They played great in the second and third period and fell just short of tying that game. Elias really screwed up on that one play. He should have taken at least a shot! :noclue: Nice goals by Asham and that Parise goal was just amazing. Parise is becoming a leader on this Devils team and he could be a future captain for the Devils IMO. He works his butt off and gets some of these other playes going as well. Brodeur was good again and another tough loss for him. Time to go back to Florida now and Brodeur to get his first win of this season vs. the Panthers.

I really don't understand how or why people keep defending Elias. It boggles my mind. He has been terrible. I hope he proves me wrong because we really need hi to produce.
Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't either. A 10-game slump is one thing. This is now approaching a half-season's worth of futility. C'mon...TWO GOALS in 31 GP for a guy who was once a considered a top player...and is getting paid huge dollars? It's reached the point where I expect absolutely nothing when this guy has the puck...and he keeps proving me right.

He's killing the Devils in two ways: 1) He's not scoring at all, and for a team that's going to struggle to put up 3 goals most nights (for the forseeable future anyway), this team desperately needs him to chip in, and 2) his massive contract is going to hinder any moves the Devils might want to make down the line.

Every now and then players in all sports inexplicably lose their skills, even though they're not that old. It's too early to say that Elias is washed up, but if this start reaches 20 GP or so and he's only scored 1-3 goals, I'm going to start to wonder.

I cant say im not dissapointed, but im deffinatly not supprised.

Ottawa are just playing really well, that first line is possibly the best unit in the NHL.

This is the first time this season i have seen a game in its entirety.

My thoughts:

I cant work out whats up with Patty, its weird, he is trying to hard to make stuff happen. He needs someone to say to him "Patty you're not under any pressure , you dont have to score all the goals, the rest of the team isnt relying on you, just relax".

Asham looks good, not a pretty goal , but they all count, and he was in the right place at the right time. I can see why lou wanted him on this team so much, he really is a typical devils style player. The Parise line is great the bring a lot of differnet skills and work really well together.

The defence though is bad, and i dont think they will get much better with the addition of white. I dont think we are going to be as lucky with the defence as we have in the last two seasons, i dont get the feeling that they are going to supprise us like in past years,i cant completley write them off after 3 games, but im not confidant.

79 games left, lets see what happens.

I don't either. A 10-game slump is one thing. This is now approaching a half-season's worth of futility. C'mon...TWO GOALS in 31 GP for a guy who was once a considered a top player...and is getting paid huge dollars? It's reached the point where I expect absolutely nothing when this guy has the puck...and he keeps proving me right.

He's killing the Devils in two ways: 1) He's not scoring at all, and for a team that's going to struggle to put up 3 goals most nights (for the forseeable future anyway), this team desperately needs him to chip in, and 2) his massive contract is going to hinder any moves the Devils might want to make down the line.

Every now and then players in all sports inexplicably lose their skills, even though they're not that old. It's too early to say that Elias is washed up, but if this start reaches 20 GP or so and he's only scored 1-3 goals, I'm going to start to wonder.

it's approaching a half-season spread out over 2 seasons. Elias is typically a slow starter. Cherry-picking one stretch isn't really fair, nor relevant.

Elias does not look comfortable or confident on the ice. He'll get it eventually.

- asham is more skilled than is generally thought. i like the idea of him playing on the top two lines, the pass he made in the panthers game to madden isn't something a 4th liner can't do. he brings a marshall-esque element to the team.

- while sutter has been preaching the necessity of rolling all four lines, he did the opposite by sitting the fourth line for most of the third period. not that i blame him, but, imo, there is a benefit to sending pelley and rupp out there to bang bodies around, even if it is for a short while.

- i think pelley should play third line center. i think madden should be shifted back to wing. that is an experiment worth trying for more than just 1 game.

- 6 penalty minutes for pandolfo in 3 games. he does seem to be off his game, he might be the most affected by sutter's way of doing things.

- a 5-4 record from this road trip, without langenbrunner and white, should be considered a success, imo.

Edited by brylin18

It will be interesting to see what Sutter and the rest of the team have to say about the game.

Sutter looked very very unimpresed for the majority of the game.

Does anyone think that Sutter will say anything about Elias's preformance, because if it hasnt passed anyone on this board by i doubt it will have passed Sutter or Lou by.

Well i didnt get to watch the game but from what I'm hearing from you guys it sounds like half of the players played terribly and the other half played pretty descent. This sucks, I hope once the season picks up so do the players cause I can't really grasp the idea of the Devils having losing season.

Well i didnt get to watch the game but from what I'm hearing from you guys it sounds like half of the players played terribly and the other half played pretty descent. This sucks, I hope once the season picks up so do the players cause I can't really grasp the idea of the Devils having losing season.