Mass transit plan on track for Prudential Center opening

msweet

It's going to take a while for fans to see what fits them best. I went to school in Newark--I know what the drive is and I know what the train ride is. I alternated depending on the time I left, as morning commutes up the GSP to 280E is horrible. At the same time, I hated standing around for a train at 11am when I could zip in with my car.

The difference, and positive, is we will all have a choice. I will take the train from Rahway on 11-16. If it doesn't work, I'll try driving. See what works, what's the fastest and what the price of each is before setting anything in stone.

The positive of mass transit, and having an arena that (will hopefully) have a supporting cast of bars and restaurants is that once the game is over, you can hang out for 20 minutes across the street, have a drink or two, and cut down on that half-hour layover. I'm exciting to think I can actually make a night out of a hockey game, instead of going to a game and leaving with 30 seconds left to see if I can beat the rush out of the CAA.

What's the closest train station to the Devils practice facility at South Mountain? My cousins live not too far from there just off 280 and Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange, and I'm thinking about taking them to a Flyers/Devils game in Newark this year. (I took them to an Islanders/Devils game at CAA that was neutral for me, but I'm looking forward to attending a game that means something to all of us.)

What's the closest train station to the Devils practice facility at South Mountain? My cousins live not too far from there just off 280 and Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange, and I'm thinking about taking them to a Flyers/Devils game in Newark this year. (I took them to an Islanders/Devils game at CAA that was neutral for me, but I'm looking forward to attending a game that means something to all of us.)

Just so I make sure it's clear:

Buy a round trip ticket on train, bus, or light rail

when you get off, right near there is where a bus takes you from the bus stop to prudential center, approx an 8 minute bus ride.

just show the bus driver your round trip ticket, and its a free bus ride to the arena.

on the way back, im assuming there will be buses outside the arena to take you back to broad street station.

Is this correct?

Just so I make sure it's clear:

Buy a round trip ticket on train, bus, or light rail

when you get off, right near there is where a bus takes you from the bus stop to prudential center, approx an 8 minute bus ride.

just show the bus driver your round trip ticket, and its a free bus ride to the arena.

on the way back, im assuming there will be buses outside the arena to take you back to broad street station.

Is this correct?

Whatever the case, I'm sure it'd be appreciated by many on this board for the people going to the opening game(s) posting in this thread to let people know what works, what doesn't work that well as far as public transportation goes. :)

So, they add extra trains for those heading south, but maybe might add some back to NYC or Hoboken, which will get the Bergen County folks to Secaucus to then catch a train on the Main/Bergen lines,which won't have extra service at all. I assume the Montclair/Boonton line is not going to have extra service outbound either?

Edited by M.

I can't decide if i'm going to take the PATH or just regular NJ transit from the city to Newark on opening day. The path is cheaper but a longer trip. It's only like 10 mins on the commuter train but more like 25 via the path. Either way, once you end up at Newark Penn you can already see the Rock through the windows from the platform! I imagine it'll be pretty easy to find.

Also, I am hoping to run into many a red jersey'd fan on the way so it could turn into a party ride ;D

I can't decide if i'm going to take the PATH or just regular NJ transit from the city to Newark on opening day. The path is cheaper but a longer trip. It's only like 10 mins on the commuter train but more like 25 via the path. Either way, once you end up at Newark Penn you can already see the Rock through the windows from the platform! I imagine it'll be pretty easy to find.

Also, I am hoping to run into many a red jersey'd fan on the way so it could turn into a party ride ;D

Personally, I would take the Path, and will be from WTC.

For opening day I'm thinking of taking the PATH so I can use the extra $5 that I'd spend on the NJ Transit ticket, and use that money on an extra pregame beer. My primary concern is finding a good spot to grab some beers in Newark. Anyone have some good recommendations?

Personally, I would take the Path, and will be from WTC.

yeah i hear you but i live within walking dist of Penn Station and would have to hop the E train to WTC first then get on the path. The extra $4 might be worth not sitting on a train for an extra half hour!

Still, its nice to know i have options instead of that awful port authority bus!

For opening day I'm thinking of taking the PATH so I can use the extra $5 that I'd spend on the NJ Transit ticket, and use that money on an extra pregame beer. My primary concern is finding a good spot to grab some beers in Newark. Anyone have some good recommendations?

5 bucks might buy you half a beer :) Well I guess at a nearby place its a beer - I was thinking arena beer!

Also of note for those of you not super close to a train station or who have to make transfers:

a lot of buses go through Newark also:

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv...n=BusSchedulesT and though not all of them stop at Penn, a lot of them make stops near the Rock.

yeah i hear you but i live within walking dist of Penn Station and would have to hop the E train to WTC first then get on the path. The extra $4 might be worth not sitting on a train for an extra half hour!

Still, its nice to know i have options instead of that awful port authority bus!

Just grab the Path at 33rd St. You might have to change trains at Journal Sq. but it is easy.

Just grab the Path at 33rd St. You might have to change trains at Journal Sq. but it is easy.

oh i know the path train. all too well.

its just that from 33rd to newark its nearly 30 mins, vs penn st to penn st its like 12.

and i'm impatient.

oh i know the path train. all too well.

its just that from 33rd to newark its nearly 30 mins, vs penn st to penn st its like 12.

and i'm impatient.

Convienence trumps cheapness in this case I think.

The earlier to arrive at the arena, the earlier to get the first beer of '07-'08. :cheers:

Edited by thelastonealive

NJTransit put the new train schedules on their website.

On weekdays NJCL expresses leave Newark at 9:06, 9:38 and 10:28. Locals leave at 9:21 and 10:05. That 9:38 train is going to be the popular one.

There do not appear to be any extra trains on weekends. At least not on the Coast Line.